Two more cuban players defect

Cubano

2B/SS/CF Yosmani Guerra and pitcher Ángel Oscar Argüelles. Guerra is a contact hitter and he is very fast. he is a better 2B than SS. Ángel Oscar Argüelles is the brother of LHP Noel Argüelles who defceted this year in Canada while playing with the cuban junior team. Ángel Oscar Argüelles should be very young and according to some reports, he is very tall.

Cuban players trying to sign contracts now:

3B/outfielder Dayan Viciedo one of the best prospects in cuban baseball

SS Juan Carlos Moreno gold glover in Cuba

LHP Noel Areguelles who throws 90 + and is tall and has long arms

SS Jose Iglesias who defected in Canada too while with the junior team. He is a contact hitter and is good with the glove.

Another junior pitcher defected in Canada but I forgot his name.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 05:43 PM)
2B/SS/CF Yosmani Guerra and pitcher Ángel Oscar Argüelles. Guerra is a contact hitter and he is very fast. he is a better 2B than SS. Ángel Oscar Argüelles is the brother of LHP Noel Argüelles who defceted this year in Canada while playing with the cuban junior team. Ángel Oscar Argüelles should be very young and according to some reports, he is very tall.

SS Jose Iglesias who defected in Canada too while with the junior team. He is a contact hitter and is good with the glove.

Put in a good word for us.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 04:43 PM)

Thanks for the report. I hope the Sox are right on top of scouting/signing these top Cuban prospects. Cuban players have been successful with the Sox from Minnie Minoso to present day with Jose, and Alexei. I like the way the Cuban players approach the game.

QUOTE (Cubano @ Oct 2, 2008 -> 11:43 PM)

Cuban balllayers can be the next impact group in major league baseball in my opinion. I hope the Sox get a chance at signing a couple of those Cuban stars.

If I were Kenny Williams, I go after 3B/RF Dayan Viciedo (19-20 years old). He got good pop and you know he is ahead of most 19-20 years old. He got good arm. He used to throw 90+ MPH as a pitcher in the juniors. I think he can play in the majors next season. I go after LHP Noel Arguelles ( 19-20 years old) to help the Sox in 2 years down the road. Do not rush him?

I take a look at Juan Carlos Moreno for an utility roll next season if he shows something in the tryouts. If he can still hit (swing velocity), I let him play SS and keep Alexei at 2B if the Sox can not sign anybody else. He is a veteran.

I would take a close look at SS Jose Iglesias (19-20 years old). The problem with Viciedo is that he still growing. Maybe 3B will be to much for him. He may become a 1B though because Dye and Quentin are good. Didn't Dye sign an extension a year ago?

Viciedo has the best talent/reward combination among these guys. The upside for Noel Arguelles is good.

Edited by Cubano

We're not the Red Sox.

With Ramirez's success and so many erroneous scouting reports projecting him as a fringe player or utility guy, every team will look over all these prospects with a fine tooth comb. No scouts want to be made to look foolish twice in a row. The Ramirez contract might turn out to be the best bargain in sports over the life of it.

We're not going to easily unearth another diamond in the rough this time.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 09:31 AM)
I say we sign all of them.

Fine with me. :D

Cubano, are all of these players represented by Jaime Torres?

Because he's Alexei's and Contreras's agent IIRC, so I imagine the Sox would have a pretty good relationship with him.

And after the success that Alexei has had this season, they should be all over this.

Where does the best prospect (the 3B/RF guy) compare to Ramirez when he left Cuba FWIW Cubano?

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 3, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
Fine with me. :D

Cubano, are all of these players represented by Jaime Torres?

Because he's Alexei's and Contreras's agent IIRC, so I imagine the Sox would have a pretty good relationship with him.

And after the success that Alexei has had this season, they should be all over this.

Where does the best prospect (the 3B/RF guy) compare to Ramirez when he left Cuba FWIW Cubano?

Dayan Viciedo, Noel Arguelles and Jose Iglesias are with puertorrican agent Torres (Contreras's and Alexei's agent). I imagine the other Arguelles will be with Torres too.

Juan Carlos Moreno is with a dominican agent. Having a good agent opens many doors. I would no sign all of them. Let me take this back. I would not throw millions to all of them. If I can sign Moreno for a bargain, yes. Not all will make it to the majors. I let the other teams make mistakes and overpaid them, but I go after the best ones like Viciedo. Viciedo used to play for the Villa Clara Orange. He has been in the cuban playoffs and international tournament. Therefore, he is tested like Alexei. Villa Clara Orange, Pinar del Rio Green Sox, Industriales Lions and Santiago de Cuba Wasps are the most storied teams in Cuba.

Edited by Cubano