Shelby eyes quickest route to majors

scenario

Here's the first half of the article below.

Full article is at this link.

You couldn't blame Chicago White Sox prospect John Shelby III if he needed a little push in the right direction every time he leaves the dugout to take the field.

A second baseman at the University of Kentucky, since being selected in the fourth round of the 2005 Draft, Shelby has moved from second to the outfield, back to second and back to the outfield.

It looks, however, like the outfield will be his home for the foreseeable future. But since it's still something of a new home, Shelby is in Arizona at Chicago's instructional league camp, continuing to refine the defensive end of his game.

The offensive end? Well, that doesn't look like it's needing much help these days.

In his second full season, Shelby had a standout year, maybe the best of any White Sox Minor Leaguer, hitting .295 with 15 homers and 80 RBIs for the Winston-Salem Warthogs of the Advanced Class A Carolina League. He finished eighth in the system in average, fifth among full-season players, fifth in homers and second in RBIs.

He also stole an organization-best 33 bases, getting caught only five times, despite the fact that he was hobbled all season, to varying degrees, by a sore hamstring.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 10, 2008 -> 06:05 PM)
Trey is at least 4 years from draft eligibility.

I know, i was joking. Do you know if he's actually playing ball? i'm assuming he is, but i'm not sure. I remember around the time the kid was either born or reasonably young, the Mariners Gm at the time presented Griffey with a fake contract for the boy dated 2012. There's already proven talent in that family, and it would be rather cool if the kid could play like his dad.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 11, 2008 -> 01:08 PM)
Shelby was kinda old for that league, correct?

Not really.

He was 22... didn't turn 23 until after the season.

So he was right in line with most people in high A-ball.

I use the following guideline as being 'on-target' age-wise:

- Low A... 21

- High A... 22

- Double A... 23

- Triple A... 24

(All of those numbers are below the league averages btw.)

If players advance ahead of that schedule, that's great... but not expected.

So, in terms of age and development so far, he's not behind... he's right on schedule.

Edited by scenario