Backup Catchers

StatManDu

Here is my Wonder Years moment --- cue dramatic music

My dad doesn't know many baseball players... but he knows Don Slaught. I must have been pretty young, because we were watching a game where Slaught was catching for the Pirates, and he t took a foul tip directly off of his wiener.

My dad started to bawl laughing, and on that day I realized that watching a man suffer an injury to his groin was absolutely the funniest thing possible.

QUOTE (MurcieOne @ Oct 22, 2008 -> 11:27 AM)
Here is my Wonder Years moment --- cue dramatic music

My dad doesn't know many baseball players... but he knows Don Slaught. I must have been pretty young, because we were watching a game where Slaught was catching for the Pirates, and he t took a foul tip directly off of his wiener.

My dad started to bawl laughing, and on that day I realized that watching a man suffer an injury to his groin was absolutely the funniest thing possible.

"The ball, his groin, it works on so many levels!"

Oh yeah.

And... Don Wakamatsu.

Grama was fleet in her prime.

Anyway ... this name just came to my head ... CHRIS STEWART.

He was a strong-armed catcher the Sox drafted in 2001 and brought the system and he made it to the bigs for a sip of the java in 2006. Unfortunately, the Sox dealt him to Texas in a minor league deal because they brought on Toby Hall. When Hall got injured, the Sox were left with Gustavo Molina. When Hall healed the Sox were left with ... well Toby Hall.

This Stewart, whose minor league numbers are competent, is with the Yankee system.

Maybe he could be brought back for a look-see.

• 2 weeks later...