White Sox Sign RHP Kelvin Jimenez

ThunderBolt

Off Waivers form Toronto

Here are his minor league numbers

Year Age Tm Lg Lvl Aff W L W-L% G GS CG SHO GF SV IP H R ER HR BB SO HBP WP BFP IBB BK ERA WHIP

8 Seasons 24 41 .369 247 70 1 0 49 22 663.1 684 358 288 15 246 557 11 15 977 8 2 3.91 1.40

And his major

Year Ag Tm Lg W L G GS CG SHO GF SV IP H R ER HR BB SO HBP WP BFP IBB BK ERA *lgERA *ERA+ WHIP

2 Yr WL%1.000 3 0 49 0 0 0 20 0 66.0 84 51 50 7 32 35 5 3 312 1 0 6.82 4.34 64 1.758

Low risk signing not sure if it’s worth a 40 though

Edit: Press Release

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press...sp&c_id=cws

Edited by Thunderbolt

he'll be in AAA....maybe if he figures things out he can end up on the roster at the end of the year ala carassco...the "40 at 33" was really confusing for a minute...then i got what you mean saying the 40 man roster is at 33 people right now

QUOTE (daa84 @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 12:21 PM)
he'll be in AAA....maybe if he figures things out he can end up on the roster at the end of the year ala carassco...the "40 at 33" was really confusing for a minute...then i got what you mean saying the 40 man roster is at 33 people right now

I cleaned that up a tad.

Found this little blurb from a Cards' Blog about him;

I can understand the frustrations with Kelvin Jeminez being called back up….but, he always pitches good at AAA and everybody at Memphis is always impressed with his stuff ( I agree, and have wondered why he has had no success at ML level. He is also somewhat of a rubber arm.

I would not be at all shocked to see him at some point be a good bullpen pitcher. Probably a year or two down the road and for some other team other than Cards. I think he is just a little intimidated by ML hitters and lacks a little confidence. It could be due the Cards leaving him out on the mound to be shelled several times last year when he was not at his best. I think the Cards share my view, somewhat.

It's safe to say though, that Cards' fans weren't happy with what he did at the MLB level however;

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
Found this little blurb from a Cards' Blog about him;

It's safe to say though, that Cards' fans weren't happy with what he did at the MLB level however;

Judging by his monthly splits, he is either a guy that got "figured out", or a guy that is tipping his pitches, and word got out.

http://firstinning.com/players/Kelvin-Jimenez-a

Any scouting report for the guy?

What I learned though my research is that the Jimenez throws a 91-95 MPH fastball, a hard slider and a good changeup and that Cardinals fans loath him with the fiery passion of a thousand suns. He’s most successful when he keeps his fastball down in the zone, and induces groundballs.

There's a blurb on the kid from 2003 on Baseball America.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/dishsep03.html

Edited by Thunderbolt

More stuff;

Cardinals purchased the contract of RHP Kelvin Jimenez from Triple-A Memphis.

Jimenez spent seven years in the Rangers organization without ever getting a chance, but it didn't take even a month for the Cardinals to call up the 26-year-old. Jimenez has always had the stuff to become a quality reliever, but mediocre command has held him back. He had a 1.59 ERA and a 12/5 K/BB ratio in 11 1/3 innings for Memphis. The Cardinals will try him in middle relief.

Nunez and Jimenez are giving us some quality arms (like Eduardo Sierra in the past) that may or may not pan out...but the more low-risk moves like this you make on the advice of your scouts, the more likely that one of these "blind darts" hits its target with some big league payoff.

We don't have a plethora of high-impact arms who can bring the heat out of the pen at the upper levels, this could turn out to be a very good move or a non-event we totally forget about (like Corky Miller!)

Russell seems to have lost favor in the organization, for now, maybe one of these youngsters will come through like Logan did in ST and surprise everyone...and gain great tutors who help get them straightened out.

From 2004 Baseball America Prospect Handbook:

#11 w/ Rangers:

"Jimenez has never been dominant, but the Rangers say he's on the verge of a breakout season. He aged two yrs after the crackdown on fraudulent birth certificates and is growing into his lean, athletic frame and adding velocity to his plus fastball. He pitches in the 89-93 mph neighborhood and will flash a 95 occasionally. Those readings could become more fequent as he continues to fill out. Jimenez already shows good, tight rotation on a plus slider, another good sign of pure arm strength. He throws strikes w/ both pitches. His change up needs refinement. His future as a starter or reliever could be predicated on his ability to develop a 3rd pitch. Coming out of the bullpen, Jimenez would be a quality 8th inning set up man w/ 2 plus pitches, and he'd likely consistently fire his fastball in the mid 90's"

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 17, 2008 -> 04:03 PM)
Last I heard Ozzie said that he expects Russell to be a fairly integral part of his bullpen next year. I’ve heard nothing about him falling out of favor.

We'll see...I guess Ozzie just completely lost trust/faith in Logan and Ramirez down the stretch, as well as almost forgetting about Russell (you had the sense he was there more to observe in the final 2-3 weeks).

I still think Wasserman has a good shot if he pitches like he did in 2007...Carrasco was one of Ozzie's favorites....now you have Nunez/Escobar/Marquez/Broadway/Richard/Poreda in the mix as well for the final guy out of the pen or 5th starter.

You also never hear his name mentioned as a future/potential closer. There's been a lot more recent discussion (here and in the media) of Link.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 18, 2008 -> 02:15 AM)
What did Joe Borchard's scouting reports say 4 years before the Sox gave up on him? We can spin it anyway we want, but the bottom line is Jimenez sucks. He sucks a lot. He will maybe pitch in Charlotte or get waived for the 3rd time since the 2008 season ended. What cracks me up about this board is how they take KW's acquisitions and spin them into useful pieces. Marquez, a guy most have never seen pitch, people have pegged as a possible back of the rotation Garland-type because KW described him as such on his conference call. Does anyone really believe KW wouldn't talk up every acquisition even though he probably considers them a longshot. Marquez and Nunez are going to be great. But if KW trades a guy like Gio, a guy with much more success and even younger, we get the "Gio is garbage" posts.

If you look at my post, there was no opinion from me. All I put was the information from BA.

Yet I can see why some people might be looking for the next big find, as Kenny has had success doing these small moves. I don't expect much from Jimenez.