The 06/07/05 Bombings: Never Forget

Kenny Hates Prospects

We all remember where we were on 6/7/05 when a terrorist regime of scouts and cross-checkers bombed the subways of Sox fans' hearts with the selection of Lance Broadway in the first round, 15th overall, of the 2005 MLB First-Year Player Draft. Let's all take a moment to click on this link and reflect upon all those great players that were needlessly passed over.

We can never go back in time and change things for the better. What is done is done. But it is time, Kenny Williams, that you trade Lance Broadway for a bag of baseballs so we can all move on. I don't want to see him on the 40-man roster anymore because whenever I do I'm reminded of how we could have had Matt Garza, Ellsbury, Buccholz, Lowrie, Bowden, Volstad, Colby Rasmus, and on and on and on, because that's just the first round. Broadway was the most horrible draft pick I can remember, because at least McCulloch was taken near the very bottom after we'd won 99 games and the WS. Broadway was fifteenth!!!! That's f***ing sick. Please Kenny, get this guy out of here already.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)
We all remember where we were on 6/7/05 when a terrorist regime of scouts and cross-checkers bombed the subways of Sox fans' hearts with the selection of Lance Broadway in the first round, 15th overall, of the 2005 MLB First-Year Player Draft. Let's all take a moment to click on this link and reflect upon all those great players that were needlessly passed over.

We can never go back in time and change things for the better. What is done is done. But it is time, Kenny Williams, that you trade Lance Broadway for a bag of baseballs so we can all move on. I don't want to see him on the 40-man roster anymore because whenever I do I'm reminded of how we could have had Matt Garza, Ellsbury, Buccholz, Lowrie, Bowden, Volstad, Colby Rasmus, and on and on and on, because that's just the first round. Broadway was the most horrible draft pick I can remember, because at least McCulloch was taken near the very bottom after we'd won 99 games and the WS. Broadway was fifteenth!!!! That's f***ing sick. Please Kenny, get this guy out of here already.

So im guessing that you don't like that Lance is still here.

CJ Henry, Mark Pawelek, Marceaux, Greene, and Broadway are the only guys in the first 30 that I think you can definitely call busts. It's still early as these guys have only had time to play 3 full seasons since the draft, but from what we know so far, the 2005 draft was extremely deep and talented. How we ended up taking a guy like Broadway 15th overall just boggles my mind.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 03:47 PM)
Lance Broadway? Where is the thread about Kyle McCulloch that should have been started long before this one?

yeah seriously...at least broadway could potentially be a long man in the pen...mcculloch is just terrible...besides looking at that draft (and with most drafts) if you are picking the second half of the first round...theres good odds your pick won't amount to jack s***...and after broadway was taken, there isn't a whole lot of good from that draft

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)
Lance Broadway? Where is the thread about Kyle McCulloch that should have been started long before this one?

McCulloch was taken 29th overall in 2006. That was a horrid pick too, but not as bad as Broadway. The '05 draft was much deeper, at least it appears that way now, and we had a top-15 pick which is actually rare for the Sox. It's so valuable that you can sign a Type-A FA and still not lose it. And we used that to pick Broadway. Ugh.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)

One thing I've never understood, how in the world was Broadway the "safe" pick that he's always refered? How about just horrible pick? I'd take a rosin bag that's out of rosin for him.

Broadway has still not even been remotely close to as bad as McCullouch. It's not like the Sox have given him much of a chance anyway.

Who knows how much Wilder had to do with this. Bureau said he had a lot of American guys involved in the corrupt signings as well.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
Here are some of the notables selected after McCullogh: Preston Mattingly, Emmanuel Buriss, Adrian Cardenas, Joba Chamberlain, Chris Perez.

Another guy referred as a safe pick. The only thing safe about these guys (McCullogh and Broadway) is the assumption that they will be busts.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 03:54 PM)
Broadway has still not even been remotely close to as bad as McCullouch. It's not like the Sox have given him much of a chance anyway.

Who knows how much Wilder had to do with this. Bureau said he had a lot of American guys involved in the corrupt signings as well.

I'd like to see McCulloch in middle relief up in AAA to see if we can salvage anything out of him this year.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Dec 10, 2008 -> 12:54 PM)
Ah, the famous pick that turned Keith Law against every front office in the MLB.

?

I was stunned when Romero went 6th. I went to Fullerton and watched numerous games and loved Ricky to death as a college pitcher but really had no idea how or why anyone would have projected him as a top 10 pick. I figured he was more of a late 1st to supplmental round pick. He really only had one plus pitch (a nasty breaking ball). But he had a very slight build and didn't have the greatest zip on his fastball.

In fact, I'd compare him a lot to JP Howell.