We need a starter or two

dabears32

I don't know about you guys but when looking at the rotation of the Yankees, rays, and red sox I'm thinking we need to add at least one quality starter by either free agency or trade. it's hard to say what your going to get out of gavin and danks coming off years in which they threw so many innings. who knows what to expect out of marquez, richard, broadway etc. I'm not against the idea of trying to get garland back for like 10-12 mil a year if he is willing to come back. lowe and burnett aren't worth the money, and garland may not make it look pretty but he is an innings eater and still wins with consistency. he would be a solid #4 in our rotation, then maybe sign a veteran like pedro, or randy johnson or let richard and company battle it out for the 5th starter spot. Thoughts?

I see your point, we definatly do not have the rotation, as of now, to compete for the pennant or World Series. We do have a solid front 3, but that too usually fails to win a competitive division when all said and done. Im sure KW is planning something. Most likely 1 minor leaguer will be in the rototation. As for the other spot I imagine its penicled in via trade or FA, though there isnt much I would want from the market that isn't demanding at least 5 years 80 mil.

This team definitely needs one or two starters! I was o.k. with trading Vazquez, but I have to admit it throws off our whole rotation. But if you look at out division, the only rotation that scares me a little is Cleveland. They still got Carmona, Westbrook back after injury, of course Lee, and now add Wood to their bullpen.

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 09:33 PM)
This team definitely needs one or two starters! I was o.k. with trading Vazquez, but I have to admit it throws off our whole rotation. But if you look at out division, the only rotation that scares me a little is Cleveland. They still got Carmona, Westbrook back after injury, of course Lee, and now add Wood to their bullpen.

Well, were talking rotations here, and Wood is bullpen, like you said, so I dont see why that improves their rotation.

The Twins will almost always scare me, their young guys always seem to produce.

if the tigers starters can get back to form they can be tough again too with verlander, bonderman, gallaraga, robertson, and the newly acquired edwin jackson. there are a lot of question marks there though. plus they don't have a closer and it doesn't look like they can afford one

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 07:33 PM)

Westbrook is supposed to be out until at least mid-season...has that changed?

QUOTE (whitesox32 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 08:35 PM)
if the tigers starters can get back to form they can be tough again too with verlander, bonderman, gallaraga, robertson, and the newly acquired edwin jackson. there are a lot of question marks there though. plus they don't have a closer and it doesn't look like they can afford one

Bonderman's health/return is definitely in question, as is Robertson's being a productive pitcher.

Then there's D. Willis, and Verlander's pitch counts over the last 2-3 seasons.

I'll take Meche, Greinke, Bannister, Hochevar/Torres right now over any team in the division but MIN (and maybe over them even) based on potential.

QUOTE (MO2005 @ Dec 11, 2008 -> 07:33 PM)

I agree on Cleveland. I could see their rotation being the best in the division next year. I like Laffey and really like the pick-up of Anthony Reyes.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 12:25 AM)
I agree on Cleveland. I could see their rotation being the best in the division next year. I like Laffey and really like the pick-up of Anthony Reyes.

Sowers has been a bust, Zach Jackson is so-so at best....it really comes down to Reyes and Lewis in the middle, and a bounce-back year from Carmona.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 12:04 AM)
I really think now is the time for Anderson to get another shot, but I don't think the lineup can get by with 3 "holes".

A bottom 3 of Fields-Getz-Anderson could get rough, and in that scenario, they still don't have a "real" top of the order.

I agree completely, and it sucks for BA. I think Ozzie has taken to him a bit and he has gotten out of his doghouse. But the problem that remains is that Beckham might be less than a year away, and signing a player like Hudson wouldn't make sense simply because of that. Furcal is honestly a great fit for the team when healthy, but I question whether he'll be healthy at the same time too, and I think Crede's back injury has left a bad taste in the organization's mouth, and I think that has a lot to do with the organization's lack of interest in him. On top of that, it's even harder and at times down right inefficient to have a leadoff hitter at 3B, especially with as many weak spots as the Sox might honestly have in the lineup.

If the Sox traded Dye and signed Abreu, I wouldn't be completely opposed to something like

Ramirez - SS

Abreu - LF/RF

Quentin - RF/LF

Thome - DH

Konerko - 1B

Pierzynski - C

Betemit/Fields - 3B

Getz - 2B

Anderson - CF

(this is based on the assumption that Abreu won't like leading off, because I recall him really disliking it when he played for Philly...so long as he's in the top 2, I won't mind)

but it's not good, simply because that bottom of the lineup could very easily be among the worst in the game. The pitching staff wouldn't be completely opposed to it, because the outfield defense goes from bad to average or good simply because of Anderson's presence and the infield defense looks atleast average, and there is potential in that lineup to score 800+ runs while the possibility also remains that it scores 750 or less too and is a mirror image of the 2005/07 lineup. It would be interesting to say the least and would be a bit exciting even through the disappointment.

At this point, even anticipating more moves to be made, I could see the Sox finishing anywhere from 75 wins to 95 wins, simply because of the amount of unknowns - I hate the term question marks starting now - throughout the lineup and rotation. I do think that Getz is a major sleeper in all of this and that he could be the leadoff hitter by May.

My main fear is the thought of Owens starting and the thought of Taveras in CF doesn't make me feel easy either.

If you promised me that both Beckham, Poreda, Flowers and Viciedo would make at least ONE All-Star team during their careers with the White Sox, I'd be pretty happy and excited about the future. Three of four would still be great, and I'd even be okay with 2/4.

Right now, everything feels so up in the air, which is certainly is...a "fluid" situation. However, we twist and turn the line-up around, it seems that we have a huge problem at the top or bottom of the order...no matter how you stack things up. Having Abreu in the 2 hole would look very nice for 2 seasons, and PERHAPS a third.

By the way, has anyone ever found out factually that Viciedo's contract is five years instead of 4, or vice-versa?

That, and I'm not sure where all this burgeoning love for Marquez has come from...

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 12, 2008 -> 12:10 AM)
Bonderman's health/return is definitely in question, as is Robertson's being a productive pitcher.

Then there's D. Willis, and Verlander's pitch counts over the last 2-3 seasons.

I'll take Meche, Greinke, Bannister, Hochevar/Torres right now over any team in the division but MIN (and maybe over them even) based on potential.

Who is Torres? You've said this more than a few times and I've got no idea who you're talking about.