Bob Abreu: Mr. Consistency - Waive him in

shago

I'm not understanding the Abreu love. Nice player and all, but in somewhat of a decline as a hitter, can't play defense, and is owed more contractually than Dye. I'd rather stand pat with Dye. If I'm going to deal Dye, it's not going to be for another corner OF. CF, SP, and infield are more pressing at this point.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (WCSox @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 07:00 AM)
I'm not understanding the Abreu love. Nice player and all, but in somewhat of a decline as a hitter, can't play defense, and is owed more contractually than Dye. I'd rather stand pat with Dye. The Sox also have younger and better defensive corner OF options in Quentin and Swisher. If I'm going to deal Dye, it's not going to be for another corner OF.

Abreu is a free agent. In the current sluggish free agent market, the Sox should get him cheaper than Dye. The biggest advantage would be the player the Sox acquire by trading Dye. Abreu + Players aquired for Dye > Dye. Abreu adds team speed and OBP as well. He and Ozzie are buddies so that is another reason that he would be likely to want to play for the Sox if there was an opportunity.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 05:05 AM)
Abreu is a free agent. In the current sluggish free agent market, the Sox should get him cheaper than Dye. The biggest advantage would be the player the Sox acquire by trading Dye. Abreu + Players aquired for Dye > Dye. Abreu adds team speed and OBP as well. He and Ozzie are buddies so that is another reason that he would be likely to want to play for the Sox if there was an opportunity.

Sorry, he WOULD be owed more contractually than Dye. He's a nice player and all, but his OPS has fallen over the past 5 or 6 years and he'll be entering the downside of his career soon. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to him wearing a Sox uniform, but I guess that it would depend on the contract. Anything more than three years would be out of the question, IMO.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 15, 2009 -> 08:05 AM)

Bobby Abreu is no longer fast. He's a very good baserunner but he's not exactly fleet of foot these days, hence why his defense was among the worst in the game for a corner outfielder last season.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Jan 12, 2009 -> 07:26 AM)
What is with the White Sox fan's obsession with putting players barely good enough to play a corner outfield position in center?

Oh wait, it is their GM and Manager's trademark.

Well... actually the problem is not being able to find someone who can both play defense and hit.

The only guys we've thrown out there who can field... but can't hit... and vice versa.

And the GM and Manager's 'trademark' as you call it is simply showing a preference for guys who can hit.