White Sox in good financial shape

thedoctor

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 08:54 AM)
when do you think he'll be ready to join the team and can he be the long term cf solution?

Depends on how desperate we are.

Based on last year and the AFL, I think both Danks and Beckham will probably start off the season in AA this year. If they continue to hit there, and a position opens up due to, I dunno, Matt Wise not being the best leadoff hitter...You could see Beckham this year and maybe Danks this year to next year. More time is obviously better, but if you need a CF...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 12:30 PM)
Depends on how desperate we are.

Based on last year and the AFL, I think both Danks and Beckham will probably start off the season in AA this year. If they continue to hit there, and a position opens up due to, I dunno, Matt Wise not being the best leadoff hitter...You could see Beckham this year and maybe Danks this year to next year. More time is obviously better, but if you need a CF...

I think you mean DeWayne Wise, not the pitcher...or Rick Wise.

:P

I'll make a wild guess for the future and say the Sox sign a club record FA contract next year. I haven't looked at the list for FAs next year, so ignore that if there's crap out there. It seems like they can manage the good young players they have and still have a reasonable payroll

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 30, 2009 -> 09:20 AM)
Would anyone trade Jim Thome's homer against Minnesota in the play-in game if they knew they could exchange his 2009 contract of $13 million for $6.5 million and Bob Abreu/Adam Dunn AND another veteran starting pitcher at the back of the rotation (like Wolf, Byrd, Looper, Glavine, Pedro Martinez, etc.)??

Interesting question.

If I could've gotten Abreu and Pedro for Thome last year, I probably would've pulled the trigger. At the very least, it would've taken Javy out of the rotation.

I appreciate Thome hitting the playoff-clinching homer and all, but losing 3-1 to the D-Rays in the ALDS wasn't all that exciting. Don't get me wrong, I was REALLY happy that the Sox made the playoffs last year. But just getting there doesn't do it for my anymore.