Man-Ram negotiations

Kyyle23

I don't know why but this Manny situation really bothers me. Manny may be the best right handed hitter of our time, and the interest he is drawing is insulting. Yeah I know teams are afraid of Manny being Manny but I am the only one who has heard of behavioral clauses in contracts, and yeah all teams are crying poor but lets be honest all of these teams are multimillion dollar franchises, and Manny may being in more dollars then he cost!

Just had to get that out. Thanks.

QUOTE (ChiSox420* @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)
I don't know why but this Manny situation really bothers me. Manny may be the best right handed hitter of our time, and the interest he is drawing is insulting. Yeah I know teams are afraid of Manny being Manny but I am the only one who has heard of behavioral clauses in contracts, and yeah all teams are crying poor but lets be honest all of these teams are multimillion dollar franchises, and Manny may being in more dollars then he cost!

Hasnt the guy turned down multiple offers from the dodgers that would have given him 20+ million a year?

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
Hasnt the guy turned down multiple offers from the dodgers that would have given him 20+ million a year?

2 years, $45 million rejected outright, with Boras saying they'd only listen to "Serious" offers. That was back in Nov.

1 year, $25 million (2nd highest yearly salary in the game) rejected a week or so ago.

QUOTE (ChiSox420* @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 01:50 PM)

I disagree. I think Manny's rep. would hurt in additional revenues. If he were a stand up guy and never had a problem with effort or even feeling like playing I may agree with you, but remember this is a guy who wasn't satlsfied with the $40 million he had coming the next 2 years, so dissatisfied he jaked his way out of Boston. How much do you have to pay him for him to be happy and for him to feel like playing 162 games? He's no spring chicken either. The economy is in the dumps, no teams are looking to add a weak fielding OF/DH for the $100 million he wants. Obviously he's a better hitter than almost anyone in the world, but he's going to be a headache eventually..

Edited by Dick Allen

Doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I am enjoying it. I like to see selfish assholes confronted with the fact that they aren't as omnipotent as they think they are. Yes, it is schadenfreud, I admit. But I have zero sympathy for a guy who makes 10's of millions a year to play a game, and doesn't have enough respect for the game that put them where they are, to make a real effort.

And besides, he's STILL gotten very nice offers anyway:

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)
2 years, $45 million rejected outright, with Boras saying they'd only listen to "Serious" offers. That was back in Nov.

1 year, $25 million (2nd highest yearly salary in the game) rejected a week or so ago.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 9, 2009 -> 12:54 PM)

I believe there was also talk about a third year making a total of $60 million from teh Dodgers as well.

I don't think Boras or the union would ever go for behavioral clauses. Besides how do you tell when a player is faking an injury and crying like a baby like Manny at the end of his Red Sox days to the sudden fountain of youth he foun when he got to LA. Funny how an 8 hour plane ride makes the knee all better.'