Are the Sox moving Opening Day to Tuesday?

Controlled Chaos

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
2000 they were in Seattle....cuz I watched that game on ESPN, Buehrle had blond hair and faced Sweaty Freddy.

I meant their home opener. Just remember, the season is starting a week later this year. This crappy weather can hit at any time.

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 10:09 AM)
it really isn't that hard to avoid Chicago, New York, Boston,Cleveland,Detroit,etc. the first few weeks if they just did it right. schedule all dome and warm weather cities as the first week games. of course people would b**** still when the weather is perfect and there is no baseball. its really a no win situation.

Part of the reason this isn't done is that they try to avoid the Sox and Cubs being home at the same time. Still happens a couple times a season, but that's it. If you put both Chicago teams on the road the first 2 weeks, that means you end up having them both at home for almsot 2 weeks of games.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 09:50 AM)
Part of the reason this isn't done is that they try to avoid the Sox and Cubs being home at the same time. Still happens a couple times a season, but that's it. If you put both Chicago teams on the road the first 2 weeks, that means you end up having them both at home for almsot 2 weeks of games.

There was actually a genuine meteorology guy from Western Kentucky who did the math on this a few years ago. His results are interesting. Long, worth glancing through, but interesting. Bashes the Twins a bit for not sticking with a dome.

Summary: By simply waiting until after 4/10 to schedule the opening series for the five cold weather baseball cities in this analysis, Major League Baseball could avoid roughly 80% of the type of cold and snowy baseball weather that plagued Jacobs Field April 6-8. This could easily be accomplished by scheduling the first week of the season in warm-weather cities or cities with domed stadiums. The potential cost savings to Major League Baseball would include increased attendance, concessions and parking as well as a decrease in injuries to players from playing in cold or slippery conditions.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 01:08 PM)
There was actually a genuine meteorology guy from Western Kentucky who did the math on this a few years ago. His results are interesting. Long, worth glancing through, but interesting. Bashes the Twins a bit for not sticking with a dome.

One of the arguments against opening in all warm weather and dome cities is that these cities get fewer home dates after school is out, which they argue reduces their ticket sales. It does seem that it would be better for MLB, as a whole, to make some concessions for early season weather problems.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)

Oh I am not saying I support things the way they are - just that its a reality that MLB does that. I would be all for altering the schedule.

And I have said all along that Minneapolis building an open stadium is just assinine.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 6, 2009 -> 10:31 AM)
And I have said all along that Minneapolis building an open stadium is just assinine.

Perhaps they're just planning ahead. 5-10 years from now I'd expect Winter in that area to end a full week or two earlier than it currently does.