Sox being sued

mreye

QUOTE (qwerty @ Apr 10, 2009 -> 04:32 PM)
On december 23rd my father was walking into a jewel with my mother and he fell and cracked his knee cap. Right before you walk in there is a sign that states that they or anyone else associated (snow plow outfit) with them are not liable for any accident that may occur... natural or not. My mother helped him back to the car and went into the jewel to speak her mind. She walks in, goes to the help desk, and what do you know, the same sign is right behind the help desk. She talks to the manager and they claimed nothing could be done because the snow was an ''act of god''. We talked to the lawyer and found out they would have been entirely in the right... but only if the snow had not been plowed... plowing it altered the ''act of god''. Jewel and the snow plow outfit went on to pay for my fathers surgery 50-50 down the middle... though not without fight.

So they sued a snow plow company for plowing snow?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Apr 11, 2009 -> 11:03 AM)
So they sued a snow plow company for plowing snow?

I am not a lawyer, i just know what happened.

But i do know it is actually an illinois state law that once your sidewalk is shoveled you are held accountable and not prior to the shoveling. You can get ticketed for not shoveling (no action if someone falls)... but if you do shovel you cannot get ticketed, though sued if someone falls and hurts themselves

The very main reason your sidewalks are supposed to be shoveled is for the mailman... as he does not have to walk up if he finds it ''impassable''. I have heard about cases where a mailman wouldn't walk up due to as little as a couple inches, though not a first hand experience

Also, you should know both scenarios, my fathers, and the one i just mentioned with the sidewalks, are won and lost all the time. There is not in these cases, just like any case, due to loop holes in favor of either side.