If this was the 2010 offseason and you had control of the Sox

knightni

You are here deciding the fate of your favorite franchise.

2 rules.

#1 No high priced free agents

#2 salary has to be under $85 million.

You have about $70 million tied up in

Buehrle $14m

Jenks $10m

Ramirez (SS) $5m ext.

Quentin (RF) $12m ext.

Danks $8m ext.

Floyd $5m

Anderson (CF) $1m

Viciedo (LF) $1.25m

Fields (1B) $3m

Nix (backup) $1m

Getz (2B) $1.5m

Beckham (3B) 500k

Thornton $2m

Linebrink $5.5m

a few RPs and a few backup youngsters.

You have no catcher, no major power, minimal speed, average defense, two open holes in your rotation, and an aging bullpen.

What would you do?

PS -

2009's record was 79-83

2010 was 82-80

The same coaching and management is in.

It's too hard to try and make any speculation on the 2009 off-season... let alone the 2010 off-season. Too much changes day to day let alone two years from now. It truly is hard enough to speculate this upcoming off-season without people making jackasses of the themselves, and then you ask two years down the road. Here comes the crazy talk...

QUOTE (qwerty @ May 12, 2009 -> 12:32 AM)
It's too hard to try and make any speculation on the 2009 off-season... let alone the 2010 off-season. Too much changes day to day let alone two years from now. It truly is hard enough to speculate this upcoming off-season without people making jackasses of the themselves, and then you ask two years down the road. Here comes the crazy talk...

True. But I'd like to be able to look back at this thread in 2011 and be amused.

It would depend on where the market is at in baseball. If closers aren't getting paid north of $10-12M annually then as much as I love Bobby, there's no way I'd keep him. Also it depends on what Alexei is doing. Nix, Getz, Beckham, Viciedo... all those questions would basically be answered by the end of 2010 as far as who will play where. Some of these guys would get traded.

Also there's no way of telling what we'd have in the minors as far as SP, plus other position players that have become surprises. CJ Retherford could end up as a surprise for example, and maybe he pushes someone out of the picture.

As for what I'd do, if our record is 82-80 the previous year then there's a very good reason for that. Either some of our young position players are on the verge of becoming busts and would be trade bait, or our starting pitching really sucks. The bullpen would probably be at least mediocre. So, if the young position players aren't doing it and I don't have much of a core, I think about a rebuild. If I have the core of position players however, but no pitching, then I do whatever it takes to get pitching.

The big question I have is...can I improve on that $85 million by trading my guys at the deadline this year? If I trade Dye and Dotel at the deadline, that's another $6 million or so I've freed up, and I may potentially have an extra pitcher or two afterwards.

QUOTE (boejouma @ May 12, 2009 -> 12:33 AM)
maybe technology has been advanced and humans are clone-able. id clone pujols and purchase the clone for cheap 9 times, and train the clones the different positions. WS champs of '12, nuff said.

Those Pujols clones would only be three years old in '12.

QUOTE (shipps @ May 12, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
Those Pujols clones would only be three years old in '12.

As I understand it, if you clone something, the cells and DNA is as old as the cloned specimen. So while they might look 3 years old, the clone will have 32 years of DNA damage. They better be in the bigs leagues when they are 3, because they'll be retired by age 11 or 12.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 12, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)
The big question I have is...can I improve on that $85 million by trading my guys at the deadline this year? If I trade Dye and Dotel at the deadline, that's another $6 million or so I've freed up, and I may potentially have an extra pitcher or two afterwards.

If Linebrink stays healthy and has a good year (far from guaranteed, I know), I'd try to move him ASAP as well.

Okay, I'll start...

Assign Ozzie to the post of head of Latin American scouting.

Jettison Walker; hire the Twins minor league hitting coach (Paul Molitor) to be the hitting coach.

Bring back Raines to be the manager.

QUOTE (WCSox @ May 12, 2009 -> 11:38 AM)
If Linebrink stays healthy and has a good year (far from guaranteed, I know), I'd try to move him ASAP as well.

Good point...if it hits July and we're out of the race, I'd take pennies on the dollar for him. That'd clear a ton of salary.

QUOTE (G&T @ May 12, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)
As I understand it, if you clone something, the cells and DNA is as old as the cloned specimen. So while they might look 3 years old, the clone will have 32 years of DNA damage. They better be in the bigs leagues when they are 3, because they'll be retired by age 11 or 12.

Did you not see the movie The Island with Scarlett Johansson and Ewan McGregor? The clones were 'born' in adult form. So, I agree, I would take 9 Pujols and throw in two Scarlett Johansson's to be the ball girls. :)

QUOTE (SoxFanInDallas @ May 12, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
Did you not see the movie The Island with Scarlett Johansson and Ewan McGregor? The clones were 'born' in adult form. So, I agree, I would take 9 Pujols and throw in two Scarlett Johansson's to be the ball girls. :)

I did not see it. But I like your angle.