BearSox

Is Josh Fields a bust?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Fields

• Yes
    • No
    • Still too early
    • He's not the bust, Greg Walker sucks

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:38 AM)
Yeah, Pujols sucks. Come on, he wasn't drafted until the 13th round! And Mark Buehrle especially sucks, he wasn't drafted until the 38th round.

Oh, can't forget about Johan Santana and Dan Uggla! They are so bad, their original teams didn't even feel they were good enough to make the 40 man roster.

How many of those guys were released, placed on waivers, not signed by any team, and signed to a minor league contract?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nix and Fields are similar in that they were 1st rounds picks, other than that they're fundamentally different baseball players. Why are they direct comparison to each other? They were drafted by different organizations, brought through the system differently, and have different skillets, positions, and value. Fields was a bit of a project when he was drafted with a lot of raw power, but a bit of an aggressive football mentality. Nix was a contact-hitting, defensive prodigy. They don't equate to me, sorry. Regardless, they both have a place on this team.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)
How many of those guys were released, placed on waivers, not signed by any team, and signed to a minor league contract?

I agree with your point, and chances are Nix won't be an All Star, but there are exceptions. Bobby Jenks. Guys like Abreu and Santana were rule 5 guys so in essence they were on waivers. Magglio was exposed to the rule 5 while a White Sox farmhand, and nobody took him, but its very rare.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:39 AM)

None, but does it really matter? Players get over looked all the time. It's not like Nix is some 30 year old guy who has bounced around from team to team not doing anything. Colorado needed to make room, and Nix fizzled out with them. Apparently no other teams wanted to risk giving someone who has had only like 20 major league AB's a major league contract. Makes sense to me. I wouldn't have given a major league contract either, he didn't do anything to earn one.

But that doesn't mean, "Oh he sucks, because no one signed him to a major league contract" etc. That's just foolish. I'm not saying Nix will be anything all that great. All I'm saying is that he deserves a shot with what he has shown thus far.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
I agree with your point, and chances are Nix won't be an All Star, but there are exceptions. Bobby Jenks. Guys like Abreu and Santana were rule 5 guys so in essence they were on waivers. Magglio was exposed to the rule 5 while a White Sox farmhand, and nobody took him, but its very rare.

Not a single one of those guys was exposed to waivers after major league experience. Nix was. Still no one wanted him. Comparing drafts, minor leaguers and major leaguers are three different things and sets of circumstances.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:43 AM)
None, but does it really matter? Players get over looked all the time. It's not like Nix is some 30 year old guy who has bounced around from team to team not doing anything. Colorado needed to make room, and Nix fizzled out with them. Apparently no other teams wanted to risk giving someone who has had only like 20 major league AB's a major league contract. Makes sense to me. I wouldn't have given a major league contract either, he didn't do anything to earn one.

But that doesn't mean, "Oh he sucks, because no one signed him to a major league contract" etc. That's just foolish.

Well we can't judge him by what he hits in the majors, according to you anyway, we can't judge him by the fact no one wanted him, anything else that goes contra to your argument that you want to disqualify for Nix? I can't believe I am actually arguing with you again. I am an idiot.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
Not a single one of those guys was exposed to waivers after major league experience. Nix was. Still no one wanted him. Comparing drafts, minor leaguers and major leaguers are three different things and sets of circumstances.

The White Sox acquired Jim Kaat on waivers. Nix probably won't amount to anything, but why not throw him out there while he's hot?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
Ludwick

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
The White Sox acquired Jim Kaat on waivers.

Great that is two players in forty years. Man I can't believe I would be willing to give Fields a chance over a minor league free agent. By the way, when should we start playing DeWayne Wise over Carlos Quentin.

Yeah, I need to walk away now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)
Well we can't judge him by what he hits in the majors, according to you anyway, we can't judge him by the fact no one wanted him, anything else that goes contra to your argument that you want to disqualify for Nix? I can't believe I am actually arguing with you again. I am an idiot.

Just because you were traded to a team doesnt mean youre good (Swisher, Richar, etc.) and just because you struggled in limited ABs and werent given many opportunities to prove yourself doesnt mean youre bad.

Point is, guys improve, are overrated, underrated, overlooked, gain confidence, etc. Dont write someone off just because of how they got to the position they are in. Should I be judging Retherford in AA because he was undrafted? Or should I be excited with his potential?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
Great that is two players in forty years. Man I can't believe I would be willing to give Fields a chance over a minor league free agent. By the way, when should we start playing DeWayne Wise over Carlos Quentin.

I'm not suggesting Nix is the answer, in fact I agree with you that most likely he is worthless in the long run. However, he is hitting homers now, and I think the Sox should ride the hot streak.

The White Sox gave him a major league contract. Obviously someone somewhere saw something.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:46 AM)

Judge him by how he plays, career minor league stats, and previous accolades... not by what his stats say after 40 AB's in 2009 or that he got overlooked after 2008.

Considering Nix was a former 1st round pick and highly touted prospect with pretty good career minor league numbers, and with the way he has looked thus far, I'd say it's pretty erroneous to call him a bad baseball player.

Who would ever say that those two players are comparable? Its f***ing obvious that Quentin>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> x infinity >>>>>> Wise.

YOu want to talk about a silly argument...

Just because a player got to the bigs in a different way doesnt mean they are bad. Players are human, they can digress, improve etc.

Should we start JVB over MB, because you know that Mark was a late round pick, and well JVB was a first rounder. Obviously JVB is better. f*** no, MB improved and overcame the questions about him to be in the position that he is in now.

Actually a couple of other familiar names were guys who had been released and went on to do well. Hawk Harrelson and Tom Paciorek. It may help explain Hawk's enthusiam for a player we all know probably won't amount to much. Also, Ed Farmer was released a couple of times before he found his best success. At the very least, Nix is on track for a future gig in the White Sox broadcast booth.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ May 27, 2009 -> 10:52 AM)
Who would ever say that those two players are comparable? Its f***ing obvious that Quentin>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> x infinity >>>>>> Wise.

YOu want to talk about a silly argument...

Just because a player got to the bigs in a different way doesnt mean they are bad. Players are human, they can digress, improve etc.

Should we start JVB over MB, because you know that Mark was a late round pick, and well JVB was a first rounder. Obviously JVB is better. f*** no, MB improved and overcame the questions about him to be in the position that he is in now.

Can no one see the sarcasm in the TCQ/Wise thing. It was meant to be absurd people. Geesh.

It's a start, but I'd still like to see him turn on more fastballs. His swing however looked a lot better yesterday and he was more aggressive at bat.

His best hit was the line drive where he took the pitch he got and went with it into RF.

It was also nice to see him actually hit a rolling breaking ball for once instead of fouling it away.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 30, 2009 -> 02:48 PM)
It's a start, but I'd still like to see him turn on more fastballs. His swing however looked a lot better yesterday and he was more aggressive at bat.

His best hit was the line drive where he took the pitch he got and went with it into RF.

It was also nice to see him actually hit a rolling breaking ball for once instead of fouling it away.

Actually I like what he is doing with the fastball now, and that is going to RC.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 30, 2009 -> 12:49 PM)
Actually I like what he is doing with the fastball now, and that is going to RC.

Which is what a lot of guys should do with the fastball, because then you've timed it to also pull the off-speed stuff.