Ozzie wants to keep his coaching staff together

caulfield12

''It has to be 25 guys and the entire coaching staff,'' Guillen said. ''We have to blame everyone in the organization, including me, because I talked to [chairman Jerry Reinsdorf] a few days ago and told him, 'When we left camp, that was a good ballclub.'

''All of a sudden nothing has worked. Who is to blame? You've got to blame everyone. Myself, the hitting coach, pitching coach, the players -- everybody has to take the blame because we still believe we have a good ballclub. But like I said a few days ago, I don't want anyone in there to start pointing fingers at someone. We've lost so many different ways, you can't point a finger at any department. And that's the worst thing that can happen, if we start doing that.''

suntimes.com

I would think the 2005 season, the winning or at least .500 records every season since 2004, 2008....those should be enough to justify giving Ozzie that kind of say.

He's not deserving of a 10 year deal like Scioscia got, but maybe the gist of the matter is that Ozzie has to communicate what he wants and then JR/KW have a meeting with him and if they have a strong disagreement (which hasn't happened often, they're usually on the same page), then they'll make a decision together in private.

I don't know if this was the case with Tim Raines, Razor Shines or Wallace Johnson, etc. Or Ozzie simply said things weren't working out and that was that.

Edited by caulfield12

Ozzie shouldn't be fired. I'm frustrated with whats going on as a fan but as I calm down here, I also realize that he can't exactly snap when the team isn't performing due to putting out a lot of guys that just flat out aren't major leaguers or aren't quite ready to produce. He's still the right man for the job.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ May 20, 2009 -> 08:59 AM)
Ozzie shouldn't be fired. I'm frustrated with whats going on as a fan but as I calm down here, I also realize that he can't exactly snap when the team isn't performing due to putting out a lot of guys that just flat out aren't major leaguers or aren't quite ready to produce. He's still the right man for the job.

I agree. If Ozzie gets fired any time soon, it won't be due to his team's place in the standings.

I don't know why there is any talk of Ozzie getting fired. The only thing that could get him fired is his mouth. As long as he doesn't say anything so obnoxious the Sox have no other choice, Ozzie will be the manager as long as he wants to be, at least as long as JR is around.

And as that quote said...it is everyone's fault. This season has been a comedy of errors so far. They have a lot of high potential players who haven't done what they were supposed to do. Not one of the rookies has broken out. The sophs have been horrible so far, except for CQ's power output. And the pitchers, outside of Buehrle and the pen have been pretty durn bad. When the pitchings been good, the hitting's been bad. And vice versa. And the defense, well, sucks. This team just needs to buckle down and fight through it. Probably won't win the division, but could make a good run at it.

I don't know why there is any talk of Ozzie getting fired. The only thing that could get him fired is his mouth. As long as he doesn't say anything so obnoxious the Sox have no other choice, Ozzie will be the manager as long as he wants to be, at least as long as JR is around.

Teams never fire their managers over poor managing or the team being s***? :huh

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ May 20, 2009 -> 04:58 PM)

Look at JR's track record. He's about as loyal an owner as there is in sports.

I agree with Dick.

QUOTE (TheBigHurt @ May 20, 2009 -> 02:58 PM)

In five full seasons as manager, Ozzie is 433-378 with two division titles, a pennant, and a ring. Three of these five seasons have resulted in 89 or more wins, with only one under .500. If the Sox go 72-90 for the next three seasons, it's possible that he may be on thin ice. But it would be almost impossible to fire Ozzie based on a lack of winning at this point.

While I don't see JR keeping Ozzie around forever like Bobby Cox, talk of him getting the boot soon doesn't make any sense AT ALL right now.

Edited by WCSox