Latest Starter Linked to Sox in a Roundabout Way: Roy Oswalt

fathom

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 30, 2009 -> 01:53 PM)
I don't think it has been said in this thread, but most are of the opinion that Ozzie would eat Bedard for lunch. Ozzie likes his pitchers tough and fearless, not mushy like pudding.

A Bedard with nagging injuries is worse than Bedard on the 60 day DL. He will annoy the hell out of you and make you use other pitchers in his place for spot-starts and screw up the entire rotation. He did that last year with Seattle. He's been healthier this year, but I still wouldn't take a chance on a guy like that.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Want a good laugh...

I found this on an Astros Message Board.

I was listining to mad dogg sports and they believe the White Sox would be a perfect fit for Oswalt.

They Suggested Roy Oswalt J.R. Towles Miguel Tejada and Jason Micheals to the Sox for Clayton Richard Gordan Beckham Aaron Poreda Brandon allen Tyler Flowers and Dayan Viciedo.

They believe the Sox would be willing to go that far for aquiring a Ace SP and some bat help with Quintan headed back to the DL.

The Also mentioned that a Deal with the Rays could go down when Valverde comes off the DL. They believe the Astros could show case Valverde for a couple of games and try and Target Wade Davis and Tim Beckham. they didnt go into spacifics but they believe the Astros have gone restless after the Matsui experament. If the Astros could get these 2 trades done . They would have the Beckhams , Tim and Gordan up the middle whom both can hit and steal bases which would instantly improve the teams speed, Micheal Tim and Gordan for 220 total bases stolen would be fun to watch alot of pitchers make bad pitches when the the speed is on the bags.

:lolhitting

Edited by JDsDirtySox

^Wow. That's just a ridiculous proposal. Just...wow.

I'm honestly not too keen on getting Oswalt. I think his best is behind him.

Edited by Ron

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ May 30, 2009 -> 10:08 PM)
Want a good laugh...

I was listining to mad dogg sports and they believe the White Sox would be a perfect fit for Oswalt.

They Suggested Roy Oswalt J.R. Towles Miguel Tejada and Jason Micheals to the Sox for Clayton Richard Gordan Beckham Aaron Poreda Brandon allen Tyler Flowers and Dayan Viciedo.

They believe the Sox would be willing to go that far for aquiring a Ace SP and some bat help with Quintan headed back to the DL.

The Also mentioned that a Deal with the Rays could go down when Valverde comes off the DL. They believe the Astros could show case Valverde for a couple of games and try and Target Wade Davis and Tim Beckham. they didnt go into spacifics but they believe the Astros have gone restless after the Matsui experament. If the Astros could get these 2 trades done . They would have the Beckhams , Tim and Gordan up the middle whom both can hit and steal bases which would instantly improve the teams speed, Micheal Tim and Gordan for 220 total bases stolen would be fun to watch alot of pitchers make bad pitches when the the speed is on the bags.

We should throw in Jordan Danks for good measure.

QUOTE (JDsDirtySox @ May 30, 2009 -> 11:08 PM)
Want a good laugh...

What

The

f***.

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ May 30, 2009 -> 01:02 PM)
Why would the Astros take less for Oswalt than the Padres would for Peavy? My understanding is they're not as financially screwed as the Padres, and hence, wouldn't be as desperate to dump Oswalt's contract. In fact, I don't really see why Houston trades Oswalt at all. I mean, when people were discussing fire sales two weeks ago, I doubt anyone here thought we should trade Buehrle. It's the same situation for Houston.

The Astros are in a bit worse shape than the White Sox, all around.

Of course, their GM is Ed Wade, so I imagine he thinks their farm system is pretty much exactly where it should be.

QUOTE (hawkubes @ May 30, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
Probably because Peavy's a better pitcher than Oswalt is

Oswalt's contract is not nearly as ugly. And he pitches in a park that is much more friendly to hitters than Peavy does.

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ May 30, 2009 -> 02:09 PM)
the thing about Richard is though, he's only had 3 good starts. How do we know that he his next 5 starts he goes 40 IP 27 ER, ect

If Richard put up an ERA of 6.08 and averaged 8 innings a start over 5 starts, Ozzie would be shot on the spot.

Just gonna throw that out there.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (Ron @ May 30, 2009 -> 11:20 PM)
^Wow. That's just a ridiculous proposal. Just...wow.

I'm honestly not too keen on getting Oswalt. I think his best is behind him.

it's easy to think that - but his numbers so far this year are deceiving. just look back at every year for the last... 4 or so, and his era before the all-star break is at LEAST a run higher than it is after. he's a second half pitcher. just wait.

Want a good laugh...

Not only is the original trade proposal one of the stupidest things I ever read, the next one with the Rays is just way beyond retarded.

Yeah, the Rays are gonna trade Tim Beckham for Jose Velverde. Lostfan, do you still have that sig, cause it applies directly to that post.

If the sox were to acquire Oswalt without including Richard, Colon could then be dealt to any number of teams looking for an arm. His trade return, while not great, could have some value.

I think it's more likely that Jeff Marquez wil put up numbers this year similar to a 2008 Javier Vazquez than having the Sox acquire a top of the rotation starter without giving up Richard.

Oswalt's stuff is still there, he's averaging 93.4 mph on his fastball this year, which is up from 92.6 last year (just for comparison, Peavy has averaged 91.9 this year).

It's been speculated that he may want a change of scenery, I think Roy is a good possibility to come to the South Side.

QUOTE (Jimmywins1 @ May 31, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
Oswalt's stuff is still there, he's averaging 93.4 mph on his fastball this year, which is up from 92.6 last year (just for comparison, Peavy has averaged 91.9 this year).

It's been speculated that he may want a change of scenery, I think Roy is a good possibility to come to the South Side.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-3...0,5855936.story

Keep an eye on the relationship between Roy Oswalt and the Astros. He has been disappointed that the club hasn't made an attempt to land Jake Peavy and recently has seemed at odds with manager Cecil Cooper. Oswalt has a full no-trade clause but might not mind a chance to go to a contender. ...

Am I imagining things, or does it seem like Cecil Cooper gets under the skin of a lot of his players? I cannot recall which player it was before, but i seem to recall this sort of thing happening last year too

Edited by kyyle23

Want a good laugh...

This is what happens when you meet baseball stupid people.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ May 31, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)
I think it's more likely that Jeff Marquez wil put up numbers this year similar to a 2008 Javier Vazquez than having the Sox acquire a top of the rotation starter without giving up Richard.

I disagree. For someone like Oswalt, he's already leaving his prime, has an ERA in the 4 range, and if we take on the whole contract, that's freeing up a good chunk of salary space for the Stros. If they want Poreda and Richard, they can go f*** themselves. It ain't worth it to us to give up both for Oswalt.

Haren or Peavy is a different story.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 31, 2009 -> 07:56 AM)
Oswalt's contract is not nearly as ugly. And he pitches in a park that is much more friendly to hitters than Peavy does.

I don't know if I would say that. They will both make $15 million in '10 and $16 million in '11. Peavy will make $1 mil more in '12. Then in '13, you have Peavy's option that we can assume will be forced to be picked up at $22 million. Add in that Oswalt makes $6 mil more in '09, so the difference in remaining salary in 2009 is actually pretty large. Given the savings from this season, that extra season at $22 mil looks a bit more friendly when compared with Oswalt's contract.

Peavy will turn 32 during his final season (Oswalt will turn 32 this season). Which by that time, $22 mil most likely be fair market value for a SP of that quality (if the economy is not somewhat recovered by then, god help us). He does not have a full no-trade clause either for 2013 meaning, you hold a hell of a trading chip. This is all predicated upon what provisions are changed in his contract due to the trade, but as it stands right now, they have similar contracts and given their ages, I much prefer Peavy's contract.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE (Frankensteiner @ May 31, 2009 -> 12:53 PM)
I really don't want to deal with another "will he or won't he" couple of days where a guy decides if he wants to waive his NTC.

Oswalt is no where the type of b**** Peavy is. With Oswalt, we'd likely find out within a couple of hours.

White Sox Targeting Bedard, Oswalt

By Steve Adams [May 31 at 2:53pm CST]

Don't expect Kenny Williams to just sit back and wait for Jake Peavy to change his mind. According to Joe Cowley at the Chicago Sun-Times, the White Sox general manager has shifted his focus to Mariners lefty Erik Bedard and Houston's long-time ace Roy Oswalt. Cowley says that manager Ozzie Guillen says he never knows what's next with Kenny.

Cowley also has comments from A.J. Pierzynski, Jim Thome, and Clayton Richard on the situation.

We heard earlier this week that if the Mariners move Bedard, they'll be asking for a package similar to or greater than what was offered for Peavy. I can't see Williams ponying up like that, but both aces will require a sizeable bounty from anyone who targets them.