Josh Fields' Swing

joeynach

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 3, 2009 -> 09:00 PM)
bump... I want to hear more opinions about the idea of trying to trade for Rolen.

Well I'd obviously be for it, but it would depend on salary.

Firstly, I'd be willing to throw in a bunch of talent in order to get the Jays to pick up Count's contract this season and eat some 2010 salary. The reason? I imagine valuable pieces hitting FA such as Randy Winn (for CF if we're not playing Brian), Danys Baez (too many setup men never hurt), and Doug Davis (better than Colon), etc. will be hitting the market for very little aside from immediate salary relief. I'd love to retain the ability to take on one of those contracts.

If we can't get the Jays to take back Count then I still consider the deal, but ONLY if they eat a good portion of 2010 salary. I would then try to make a deal of Contreras + spects + $1M cash or so for Winn.

Point is, I want to make SEVERAL deals this season if we can in order to take advantage of JR's willingness to take on salary this year. In each deal, I'd like to give up as little as possible with the biggest points being our ability to provide savings for another team. I would not deal Beckham (obviously), Poreda, Richard, Danks, Flowers, Viciedo, Allen, or Upchurch, and I'd try to hold onto Hudson and Carter, but I'd definitely throw in some quality prospects. I'd look to then take the bigger names and take offers for them over the offseason, especially for Webb because he'll in all probability be out there for the taking.

But yeah, I think given the circumstances we could easily put together a playoff run team like:

CF Winn

2B Beckham

LF Quentin

DH Thome

RF Dye

1B Konerko

C Pierzynski

3B Rolen

SS Ramirez

Rotation: Buehrle-Floyd-Danks-Davis-Richard

...while taking on roughly $15M prorated if we can dump Colon, Contreras, and currently Betemit in bad contract deals. Peavy was $11M prorated, so it would be more than that, but man, that team could be a juggernaut.

Edit: I'd offer something like Count + Fields + Shelby/Morel/Retherford + Jones/Santeliz for Rolen + 2010 cash; then Colon + Anderson + Getz for Davis; then Betemit + Link/DRod/Russell for Winn

Each deal saves the other team $$$ and gets them young players for veterans they won't get comp for, being that arb will not be offered. Obviously these are all easy offers for other teams to beat, but who else can take on salary? And what other teams willing to take on salary would want these players? Doug Davis would be the only target here that I think we'd get any real competition on.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2009 -> 08:14 AM)
For the money Rolen makes, I am willing to see what Fields and Beckham do for at least month. If I am going to spend money, it will be a for a leadoff hitting CF or a stud SP.

I agree. If the Sox are going to give up something valuable in a trade, it should be for somebody who's going to help them for at least the next three seasons. Rolen is declining, injury-prone, and overpaid. No thanks.