Fire Sale Prediction Thread

BearSox

With the Fire Sale rumors flying around, I thought it'd be good if we put all the ideas and rumors and such in this thread. I'll start.

I wonder if Atlanta would be interested in Dye. I'm sure they would, but I'm not sure if they'd give up much in trade discussions. However, if Jordan Schafer were to be part of the deal, you'd have to consider though.

We also have 5 guys in the pen who could bring a lot back via trade: Jenks, Linebrink, Dotel, Thornton and Carrasco. Personally though, I wouldn't think about trading Thornton unless the package was unbelievable.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is depressing. I wish we didn't have to think about this at this point but what other options do we have? If KW decides to pull the plug on this team he better get some good prospects because we need it. So far calling up Gordon Beckham was a mistake. I think Ozzie knows that too and thats why he was upset.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 10:58 AM)
With the Fire Sale rumors flying around, I thought it'd be good if we put all the ideas and rumors and such in this thread. I'll start.

I wonder if Atlanta would be interested in Dye. I'm sure they would, but I'm not sure if they'd give up much in trade discussions. However, if Jordan Schafer were to be part of the deal, you'd have to consider though.

We also have 5 guys in the pen who could bring a lot back via trade: Jenks, Linebrink, Dotel, Thornton and Carrasco. Personally though, I wouldn't think about trading Thornton unless the package was unbelievable.

i don't see the braves being able/wanting to pull something off for a 2nd of in less than a month that would net us anything of value.

QUOTE (maki @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
i don't see the braves being able/wanting to pull something off for a 2nd of in less than a month that would net us anything of value.

I could totally see the Braves doing that...they always have stuff at their lower levels and they're always willing to move anything except their top 2-3 guys. I just don't see them giving up Schaffer, but I'll bet there's plenty of other guys in their system who could be the next Elvis Andrus.

I actually wouldn't mind a fire sale, it would at least show this team has a sense of what direction it wants to head in, something I haven't seen since 2006. As for a potential fire sale, I think Dotel and Dye would for sure go, Thome goes if somebody wants him, Jenks goes if we get a good offer for him, and I'm about 50/50 on what we'd do with Konerko since he has value with the way he's playing but he is signed through 2010. Buehrle is the one major veteran I think would stay, nobody would take Linebrink's contract so he would stay, I wouldn't trade Thornton and I don't think they would either, and younger guys like Quentin, Danks, and Floyd would obviously stay.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
PK to the Angels!1!!!11!!

Kendry Morales is cheap, has 8 home runs, and an .800 OPS. Konerko is expensive, has 8 home runs, and an .830 OPS. The Angels just don't have a place for him.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:12 AM)
Teams don't go into fire-sale mode when they're 4.5 games out in June.

But I don't want to take the fun out of the thread, so I'll just shut up.

The white flag trade says that we'll trade guys regardless of what the standings say if the chairman thinks we're out of it. I think even though we're only 4.5 games out, it's fair to say this a bad baseball team. The white flag trade was in late July (31st of course) as well and the Sox were better that year than they are this one.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

A solid bullpen is one of the hardest things to build in baseball, so trading away any of the back end of the bullpen is a mistake in my opinion, I don't care about the package you get in return, the Sox have NO ONE to fill in for them in the system.

And Thornton closing games is a f***ing scary thought....

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)
A solid bullpen is one of the hardest things to build in baseball, so trading away any of the back end of the bullpen is a mistake in my opinion, I don't care about the package you get in return, the Sox have NO ONE to fill in for them in the system.

And Thornton closing games is a f***ing scary thought....

I won't get into the Thornton closing debate, but he's probably the best left handed relief pitcher in baseball right now, and his stuff (unlike that of a guy like Bobby Jenks, who at the same time still has a lot of trade value) is showing no signs of being in decline. You don't trade a guy like that in my opinion, especially since I doubt we'd get equal value or more in return.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:11 AM)
Kendry Morales is cheap, has 8 home runs, and an .800 OPS. Konerko is expensive, has 8 home runs, and an .830 OPS. The Angels just don't have a place for him.

That's what the 1's are for. :P

And actually, Atlanta is a better place for Paulie than LAA because Casey Kotchman is glorified mediocrity, always has been and always will be. How funny would it be if PK was traded to ATL and took Kotchman's spot after years of hearing rumors that PK would be traded to LAA and take his spot?

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
Please burn this thread. We're 4.5 out in June and we've been without our best player.

I'm sorry, but I don't know how even CQ could magically turn this team around. Also, by all accounts, it looks like CQ isn't really close to returning.

And no one cares if we're 4.5 out, this is just a bad team, that is playing in a bad division. I hope KW realizes this team isn't a playoff contender.

QUOTE (scenario @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:16 AM)
July 31st is 52 days from now.

Big difference in waving a white flag when the season is 2/3 over than when it's 1/3 over.

I don't think anybody is saying the white flag trades are coming very soon. But when it's mid to late July and this team is 10 games under .500, it's fair to wonder what is going to happen, even if the division leader is about .500 (which is a very real possibility), thus meaning we'd only be 5 games out.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:18 AM)
if they hover around 5 games out KW won't go the fire sale route, it's not his MO. If anything he'd try and add a vet

How many times have we've been a really sucky team with KW as GM? In 07, and it looks like this year. The difference though is this year, we actually have some decent prospects compared to 07 when we had s***. Also, it seems like KW is furious and there's some serious tension going on between Ozzie and KW. I wouldn't be surprised if KW wants the young guys to play, and to force Ozzie's hand, he'll trade away some of the vets.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:19 AM)
I'm sorry, but I don't know how even CQ could magically turn this team around. Also, by all accounts, it looks like CQ isn't really close to returning.

And no one cares if we're 4.5 out, this is just a bad team, that is playing in a bad division. I hope KW realizes this team isn't a playoff contender.

Show me the last time KW realized we weren't a contender? Hell, he didn't even sell in that awful 2007 season.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 09:23 AM)
Show me the last time KW realized we weren't a contender? Hell, he didn't even sell in that awful 2007 season.

He dumped Iguchi to save a bit of salary mid-season, and IIRC there was at least one other move I can't recall.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 9, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
How many times have we've been a really sucky team with KW as GM? In 07, and it looks like this year. The difference though is this year, we actually have some decent prospects compared to 07 when we had s***. Also, it seems like KW is furious and there's some serious tension going on between Ozzie and KW. I wouldn't be surprised if KW wants the young guys to play, and to force Ozzie's hand, he'll trade away some of the vets.

This team still looks more like the 2008 team than the 2007 one, IMO, but with its best hitter injured. The 2008 team had its struggles early as well. And summer is late this year.

I think we see KW make a move or two early, but they are tweaks or moves that help now AND later. Then come July, if we're abysmal, that's a different story. I think the next month or so will tell the fortunes of this team.