White Sox Winnah

RockRaines

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 09:21 AM)
Considering Alexei has the better defensive skill-set, it probably should be Beckham that switches positions. Alexei has more range and the stronger arm and he also has very good hands. In the limited amount I've seen Beckham he too has good hands but his arm and range wouldn't be above average for a shortstop while Ramirez is.

Now if the Sox can't find a Cfer and deem it best to have Beckham at SS and Alexei in CF than I might understand but if we have someone able to play CF and plan on starting both Beck and Alexei in the IF, than Alexei should be the one playing SS every time.

I agree with this.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 12, 2009 -> 09:11 AM)
From what I look for in a SS is not only someone who makes great plays, but is a leader on the field. So far Alexei hasn't shown the later. A lot of it probably has to do with him speaking a different language then everyone else, but there's been an overall lack of communication between the infielders and infielders, and the infielders with the outfielders. I believe it's the short stop's job to direct traffic and make the call.

Too many times we've seen a ball bloop just between the 2B, SS, and CF. Too many times we've had missed communications out there.

Think whatever you want of Jeter's D at SS, he's a great leader on the field.

Communication between fielders is something that can be solved pretty easily, so I'm not buying this as a valid reason for removing Alexei from SS.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been clamoring for Alexei in the 2nd spot, but my initial impression is we might want to move Beckham there next year and keep Alexei farther down the order to drive in more runs. Alexei seems to struggle with Pods on 1st, as he's been hitting a lot of weak balls to the right side. He's too talented of a hitter to just be trying to advance the runner. Beckham has more of a natural swing to go to the opposite field (hopefully he becomes our Michael Young).

As for his defense, we all know he struggles going to his right. Thus, he should shade a little more towards the hole. It's shocking being at games seeing how far up the middle he plays everyone. If he shades a little more to the hole, it should give him a lot more range. A great example of this was Inge's game winner on Monday.