7/25 Games

danman31

Knights won 7-6

Poreda with a so-so AAA debut. Only stretched out to go 4 innings though.

Barons won 4-1

Viciedo with another bomb.

Pretty good start from Long.

Hogs also won

Lowe with 7 scoreless.

Kanny lost 11-4

Phegley with his 5th passed ball and another ofer.

An Australian made his debut for Kanny.

Great Falls

Bristol won

Upchurch with a good, not great start.

Shoemaker is too good for the level.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)
Anyone have Kroeger's line over the last month? He seems to be hitting the ball really well.

His July has almost been as bad as his April. Hitting .211 over his last 10 games too. He is on a 5 game hit streak though. 7-21 with 2 HR.

Montgomery outfielder Fernando Cortez, a former Charlotte Knight, flipped me off tonight. We've been heckling him all week because he played for Montgomery 5 years ago in 2004, also in 2005. After his first at bat, I screamed at him "see you again in 5 years." As he was putting up his helmet, he gave me the finger, he was wearing white gloves, so I could see it clear as day. His next at bat, we heckled him even more. He "accidently" lost his grip on his bat and slung it backwards into the net. I think he was trying to sling it at us. Viciedo's homer was an absolute bomb.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jul 25, 2009 -> 11:41 PM)
His July has almost been as bad as his April. Hitting .211 over his last 10 games too. He is on a 5 game hit streak though. 7-21 with 2 HR.

Thank you, that’s why looking at the actual numbers is important. One could judge say by a couple hits or one catch that a player is on hot streak, when in reality he is either in the initial steps of breaking out of a prolonged slump or the same poor player he always was.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 12:28 AM)
I told you guys that when Dayan started pulling more he'd be deadly.

I certainly wasn't one to doubt. Reports of oppo power from you and elite bat speed from scouting reports is really hard to hate on.

JPN, how is Viciedo looking as far as a fitness stand point? Is he in shape, hustling, and overall working hard? There have been doubts about his work ethic.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 03:01 AM)
JPN, how is Viciedo looking as far as a fitness stand point? Is he in shape, hustling, and overall working hard? There have been doubts about his work ethic.

He certainly is a guy who gives full effort, he wants to succeed and doesn't like to fail. He's got the ever so slightest pot belly, but it may be that he needs to do a few more crunches, nothing to worry about.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 12:28 AM)

I don't get why we want him to pull more. Are you saying he needs to start turning on the inside pitch more? If so, that makes sense. But to say he needs to pull more is getting me confused. Frank Thomas' best years were when he went CF-RF.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 26, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
I don't get why we want him to pull more. Are you saying he needs to start turning on the inside pitch more? If so, that makes sense. But to say he needs to pull more is getting me confused. Frank Thomas' best years were when he went CF-RF.

Viciedo has ridiculous power to all fields from what we've seen. He's cut down on the k's somewhat, he's taking more pitches/walks...he's doing everything we needed him to do except 1 thing; taking the next step with all that power. We need that strength to start turning from 1-2 home runs a month to 5-7 home runs a month.