Now is the Time to Acquire Roy Halladay

Chisoxfn

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant wait until this day is over so we can quit talking about Halladay. Great pitcher, but the asking price is bizarre I don't want the Sox involved assuming they even had the prospects to get Halladay (which I don't think they do since the Jays are asking for can't miss elite pitching prospects).

And the idea of including Danks or Floyd in a Halladay deal is just beyond stupid.

As you can see from my post count, I observe more than I comment. With that being said, MOST of the people on here agreed that we need to get younger and thought KW did a pretty good job building a base for that in the little time he's been at it. Why now are we wanting to send two young pitchers, a young SS and Josh Fields for a 33 year old that we'll have for a year and a half? Personally, I just want KW to pick a side of the fence and stay there. If were trying to get younger then lets have the patience to get younger.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 10:07 AM)
I cant wait until this day is over so we can quit talking about Halladay. Great pitcher, but the asking price is bizarre I don't want the Sox involved assuming they even had the prospects to get Halladay (which I don't think they do since the Jays are asking for can't miss elite pitching prospects).

And the idea of including Danks or Floyd in a Halladay deal is just beyond stupid.

Toronto is asking for a lot, undestandable position to take, but his value lowers significantly after the deadline today.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
Toronto is asking for a lot, undestandable position to take, but his value lowers significantly after the deadline today.

What Toronto is asking for is obscene.

If I was Toronto I'd keep the guy and anchor that good young staff around him. They already have several excellent prospects, many of which are already doing good things at the big league level (Romero, Cecil, that Rezpek...however you spell his name guy).

They wanted Holland and Smoak from Texas, with TWO more top prospects. I don't think we have a single pitching prospect in our system near as good as EITHER Holland or Smoak, yet we think we can obtain this guy?

I don't mind bringing in more pitching, but feel like moving on these Halladay types is counter-productive given our GLARING need in Center Field.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 08:59 AM)
Is Ricciardi on drugs?

Well if you ask for 6, that doesn't mean you'll get 6. Plus I personally don't think the Dodgers farm system is what it once was, but they do still have some talent. I wouldn't trade the Sox top 6 for Halladay.

Danks, Vicideo, Mitchell (even though he can't be dealt), Hudson, Flowers, and Poreda or Carter

No thank you.

We need to stop talking about Nix as a replacement for anyone as an every day player. He CAN'T hit right handed pitching, and most pitchers are right handed. He's a platoon player who's being used properly this year, so he's a good contributor. It's as simple as that.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 10:42 AM)
What Toronto is asking for is obscene.

If I was Toronto I'd keep the guy and anchor that good young staff around him. They already have several excellent prospects, many of which are already doing good things at the big league level (Romero, Cecil, that Rezpek...however you spell his name guy).

They wanted Holland and Smoak from Texas, with TWO more top prospects. I don't think we have a single pitching prospect in our system near as good as EITHER Holland or Smoak, yet we think we can obtain this guy?

I don't mind bringing in more pitching, but feel like moving on these Halladay types is counter-productive given our GLARING need in Center Field.

I think we have quite a few better pitchers in our system than Smoak. :lol:

Edited by shakes

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:01 PM)
Imagine if the Phillies go after Halladay as well. I think it'd be a smart idea if they just sold out the farm system and got Doc. Instant WS favorites with Doc and Lee in that rotation.

Considering they didn't give up ANY of Taylor, Brown, Happ and Drabek in the Lee deal, that's not as far fetched as one would think. The Phillies would be absolutely nasty if they added Doc to that already outstanding team.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)
Imagine if the Phillies go after Halladay as well. I think it'd be a smart idea if they just sold out the farm system and got Doc. Instant WS favorites with Doc and Lee in that rotation.

That would be pretty stupid, IMO. Most fans don't seem to get this. But a GM has to look 3-5 years down the line as well as focusing on the present. To give up what it would take to get Halladay on top of what they just gave up for Lee would cripple them for years.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
That would be pretty stupid, IMO. Most fans don't seem to get this. But a GM has to look 3-5 years down the line as well as focusing on the present. To give up what it would take to get Halladay on top of what they just gave up for Lee would cripple them for years.

To be instant WS favorites for this year and 2010 would be worth it.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)

There are plenty of examples of teams with a 'going for it now' approach where they take on salary, add veterans, deal prospects if they think there is a chance to win a ring.

With Halladay they would have a serious chance to win at least 2, 3 more World Titles, one at least.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:15 PM)
Being "instant" WS favorites means nothing. Now if you can guarantee a WS title (which nobody can ever do) then you might have a point.

They also get 4 draft picks if they leave via FA.

You can't guarantee anything, but they would have the best shot out of everybody.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 12:14 PM)
There are plenty of examples of teams with a 'going for it now' approach where they take on salary, add veterans, deal prospects if they think there is a chance to win a ring.

And the Phillies just did that.

With Halladay they would have a serious chance to win at least 2, 3 more World Titles, one at least.

They're already in position to do this.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 01:15 PM)
Being "instant" WS favorites means nothing. Now if you can guarantee a WS title (which nobody can ever do) then you might have a point.

Which makes 5 years down the road even LESS relevant. Teams do whatever they can to 'be in the conversation' for a World Title.

These prospects the phillies have are not guaranteed anything. In fact, they NONE are the next Lincecum or Pujols...sure they are nice prospects doing good things at AAA or lower ball, so you're going to hang onto them? Speculate...while the games best righty and an even bettter chance to win it all again goes by the door?

There are two schools of thought. I honestly agree with them both depending on the circumstances of the team. The Phillies ARE A TEAM that I would consider moving top prospects to get Halladay, because all their pieces are pretty much there...adding one more starter, one of the games best righties, to an already great team, defending champion wouldn't be a hard move for me to make personally.

And BOTH schools of thought ARE adhered to by GMs around the league, neither is right or wrong.