Who has the best rotation in the AL?

caulfield12

I'm drunk. Statistics aren't.

Gavin Floyd has been the far superior pitcher to John Danks for the majority of the season. I am throwing Floyd before Danks in a must win game. I will also throw Buehrle before Peavy, so there are quite a few great options there, and I'm happy to be part of all of them.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 08:54 PM)
Right now, if it was the playoffs and you had only two choices, I would want Gavin Floyd over Danks. But that's just me.

I don't get that.

Danks shut out the Twins in the playoff game last year.

Danks had the only victory in the series against the Rays.

To me, Danks is the clear choice.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 06:17 AM)
I don't get that.

Danks shut out the Twins in the playoff game last year.

Danks had the only victory in the series against the Rays.

To me, Danks is the clear choice.

keeping Danks' 5.2, 3 ER performance out of the picture, here are their lines since interleague began (according to B-R)...

Gavin Floyd - 2.33 ERA, .538 OPSA

John Danks - 3.45 ERA, .658 OPSA

use any analogy you want to, but Floyd has been the FAR better pitcher since late May, even if Danks has been good. Point being, as of this moment right now, I want Floyd starting game motherf***ing 2 of the playoffs for me, if only to break Buehrle and Danks up. All 3 have proven their worth, and all 3 give me hope and reason as to why I believe the Sox will win the division this year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 05:28 AM)
keeping Danks' 5.2, 3 ER performance out of the picture, here are their lines since interleague began (according to B-R)...

use any analogy you want to, but Floyd has been the FAR better pitcher since late May, even if Danks has been good. Point being, as of this moment right now, I want Floyd starting game motherf***ing 2 of the playoffs for me, if only to break Buehrle and Danks up. All 3 have proven their worth, and all 3 give me hope and reason as to why I believe the Sox will win the division this year.

This. Although not exactly the way I'd put it. But short, concise, brief, pithy and to the point.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 06:16 AM)
I'm calling it now; Hudson destroys the AFL and breaks ST with the sox next year and puts up a line like this.

ERA+ 114

WHIP 1.34

185 IP

I don't want Hudson anywhere near the AFL this year.

I'd send Viciedo, Retherford, Nunez, Santeliz, Hernandez, Micthell and Shelby

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 07:09 AM)
I don't want Hudson anywhere near the AFL this year.

I'd send Viciedo, Retherford, Nunez, Santeliz, Hernandez, Micthell and Shelby

Are either Retherford or Morel viewed as legit prospects within the organization?

With Getz and Nix, Beckham and Alexei, that infield's pretty well set, and CJ won't hit for enough power to play 3B or 1B at the big league level. Maybe, just maybe, he can make it as a utility player on an NL team.

I think we can only send six, is that correct?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 06:28 AM)

So we're opting for a sample size of ~13 games instead of 2 seasons worth?

Floyd has certainly been on a tear since struggling at the start of the season, and right now I might start him over Danks. However, at the end of the season, I don't think I'd do that same thing as I'm of the opinion that Danks is a better pitcher (and the numbers over the past 2 seasons back that up).

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 08:42 PM)
2nd, do we make a move for Doug Davis or Paul Byrd to get possibly only 3 starts out of them (if Peavy's really coming back in August) or just gut it out with what we have...?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 31, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)
I honestly feel comfortable enough bringing Torres up and letting him anchor the 5-man. If not, I wouldn't mind trying to nab a cheap veteran through waivers.

IIRC, KW said the Sox needed the 5th starter 3 times before they expect Peavy back. One was last night. So with only 2 (maybe 3) starts left for a 5th starter, no way the Sox acquire anyone when they have Colon, Torres, or Garcia to pitch those games (or heck, do what they did last night if the bullpen is rested).

As for the main topic, 1-4, I don't think anyone is better than the Sox. The Sox have quality and quantity in the starting rotation when Peavy is healthy. This alone makes them division favorites going foward and allows the Sox to spend money on the "right" bat in the offseason rather than overpaying for another SP.

QUOTE (BlackBetsy @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 08:41 AM)
Further explanation? Too many innings? Exposing him to all prospect lineups?

Innings.

He's dominated all year this year, I don't really see the point in exposing him to the hitter's paradise that is the AFL. Assuming he continues to pitch well the rest of the year, let him finish out the year and then let him rest till ST.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 1, 2009 -> 08:53 AM)
Are either Retherford or Morel viewed as legit prospects within the organization?

With Getz and Nix, Beckham and Alexei, that infield's pretty well set, and CJ won't hit for enough power to play 3B or 1B at the big league level. Maybe, just maybe, he can make it as a utility player on an NL team.

I think we can only send six, is that correct?

Sending Retherford to the AFL would help us find out I think. He's hit at every level, so might as well give him some more looks.

To the original post, I dont think Tampa has a better rotation than us. And then Boston doesn't have the a great pitching staff since Smoltz, Penny, and Dice-k suck this year. I would say our staff is now either number 1 or number 2 in the AL.