2010 Lineup

JohnCangelosi

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 2, 2009 -> 01:49 AM)
One thing is certain, we need to add at least 1 OF this off-season. Dye and Thome are both due to be free agents and you have to figure one will leave and one will go, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see both of them stay on smaller contracts. Seems like Figgins will be a priority so let's roll with this:

Figgins CF

Beckham 3B

Quentin LF

Thome DH

Konerko 1B

Dye RF

Pierzynski C

Ramirez SS

Getz 2B

Buehrle

Peavy

Danks

Floyd

Contreras/Torres/Hudson/FA?

For some reason, I just can't see the organization kicking Thome and Dye and Contreras to the curb, but needless to say, they'd all be coming back on far lesser deals.

I'm having trouble understanding why people are putting Quentin in the 3-hole in potential lineups. He has yet to prove that he should be in that spot now, or Opening Day 2010. His numbers on the year are less than inspirational.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One cheaper, short-term option that hasn't been discussed is simply picking up Dye's option this winter. I realize that $11M (accounting for the buyout) for one year of service is over-paying in today's market (I imagine that Dye is worth about $7M/year now), but if you buy him out and try to re-sign him as a FA (and there's no guarantee he wouldn't go elsewhere at this point) it would probably take a three-year deal to re-sign him and that will cost over $20 million. The upside to over-paying him for one year is that you've saved $10 million overall and he's no longer on your books at age 37 and 38, where his skills will probably begin to decline. The saved money could either be used to extend Paulie next winter, or go elsewhere.

QUOTE (jenks45monster @ Aug 3, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)
I'm having trouble understanding why people are putting Quentin in the 3-hole in potential lineups. He has yet to prove that he should be in that spot now, or Opening Day 2010. His numbers on the year are less than inspirational.

Quentin has been crushing everything he has hit the past week. It is only a matter of time before he goes on a tear hitting somewhere around .400 the next couple of weeks IMHO.