8/4 Games

flavum

For all the grief the Sox scouting department has received (and they did deserve a bunch) the 2008 class is shaping up as something very special. Beckham is unreal, Carter already was a piece of landing a bona fide ace in Peavey, Danks is progressing nicely, Morel is a seriously underrated prospect, and now Hudson is shaping up as an advanced top of the rotation guy with 4 pitches and a great feel for the game. Add in intriguing spare parts like Kuhn, Greene, and Leesman and this has the potential to be the best class we've had since...? A long time, at least.

For all the grief the Sox scouting department has received (and they did deserve a bunch) the 2008 class is shaping up as something very special. Beckham is unreal, Carter already was a piece of landing a bona fide ace in Peavey, Danks is progressing nicely, Morel is a seriously underrated prospect, and now Hudson is shaping up as an advanced top of the rotation guy with 4 pitches and a great feel for the game. Add in intriguing spare parts like Kuhn, Greene, and Leesman and this has the potential to be the best class we've had since...? A long time, at least.

Dizz, do we store them in the car trunk for safe keeping? :lolhitting

Listening to Hudson on the postgame show. He sounds like a teenager, but he's poised.

Bloom didn't ask him about the possibility of going to the Sox. Only that he may start the first game of the playoffs for the Barons.

It would be quite a story if he goes from Kannapolis to Chicago in the same season.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 08:43 PM)
JPN, when you get back from the game what is your analysis of Huddie's performance tonite??

Solid, not spectacular, but if that's mediocre for him then that's tremendous. He was throwing his changeup (85 MPH) a lot, and not getting a lot of calls with it. That explains his pitch count to some extent. He can vary his fastball from 91 to 98, according to our gun. He really only gives up hits when guys are sitting on his fastball and he runs it up high. He made good pitches to get double plays and get out of jams.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
Jared Mitchell went 2-4 with an RBI. Also, with a CS. Good to see he's starting to be a bit more agressive on the bases.

Best part about that game... Kenny Williams' son wasn't leading off (even in this game actually). Rejoice.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 09:20 PM)
A 94 mph fastball combined with Petco? He could give some really good numbers for a few years.

I tend to agree with this. Lefties take a while to figure things out and that was the real issue with Richard - mentally he wasn't there yet. I think a few years in Petco where mistakes aren't necessarily home runs will turn him into an above average starter. I wouldn't be surprised if Clayton is someone who is considered a #2 type starter in 3 years. Nor would I be surprised if he's bouncing around as a LOOGY.

QUOTE (False Alarm @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 12:08 AM)
heh. BA.

Skepticism? About White Sox prospects? Never. Seriously, Huddy could pitch 48 no hitters in a row, Flowers could hit for the cycle for a solid month, and Mitchell could go 40-40, and we'd still be a middling organization to a lot of the prospects buffs minds. We have a reputation that unfortunately precedes us when it comes to prospects. It's Buddy Bell's job to chance that. Right now he's doing a fantastic job.

Edited by Thunderbolt

I don't think Hudson has the upside of an ace. He probably ends up being a #3. That said, if he turns into a #3 with Buehrle, Peavy, Danks and Floyd in the rotation the Sox will have one of the best #5 starters they've ever had.

If Hudson has truly added a few ticks to his fastball would Matt Latos be a comparable pitcher? lets take a look

Breakdown:

Latos was born 12/09/1987 is 6'6 and weighs 225, Hudson was born 03/09/1987 is 6'4 and weighs 220. Both are RHP with good frames, Hudson was taken in the 5th round of '08 and Latos was taken in the 11th round of '06. Latos has 9 months on Hudson and 2' and 5 pounds.

Scouting Report:

Latos:ph_502009.jpg

FB - 93 to 95 mph can touches 97 to 98 mph according to fan graphs he sits at 94.7

SL - 82mph hard late breaking slider

CH - 82mph its a work in progress, all though he flashed a decent one tonight against the braves

coming into this year alot of prognosticators felt that he would be a middle rotation starter or a late inning bullpen asset.

videos of latos

Hudson:ph_543339.jpg

FB - when he left Old Dominion it was sitting in the 87-89mph range, since he has joined the sox, he has added some ticks onto it; by his own admission he feels it sits in the 90-94mph range, he can hit 96mph and reportedly has touched 98mph at Birmingham.

SL - Frankie Piliere said back in '08 that it was a true plus pitch, 75-77 MPH, i don't know if he has added anything to it thus far at AA.

CH - he uses a circle change back in '08 it sat in the 75-78mph range, had good fade but he couldn't throw it for strikes, accroding to hudson though and the fact that the sox held fellow old dominion teammate and friend Dexter Carter back in A+ because he hadn't fully developed his change up, i would be lead to believe based on Hudson's interview and race through the system that his change up is more than just a show me pitch now and that he is getting it over for strikes.

back in '08 before the draft Frankie Piliere felt that he was over hyped and would eventually be a good back of the bullpen asset along the lines of Paul Quantrill.

The Numbers:

Latos @ AA(San Antonio in the TEX):

ERA 1.91

47 IP

K/9 8.81

BB/9 1.72

K/BB 5.11

HR/9 0.00

AVG .194

WHIP .87

BABIP .270

FIP 1.88

Hudson @ AA(Birmingham in the SOU):

ERA 1.79

50.1 IP

K/9 10.01

BB/9 1.61

K/BB 6.22

HR/9 0.18

AVG .193

WHIP .85

BABIP .277

FIP 1.95

would love to hear what people on the board think about this comp.

Edited by beautox

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 06:11 PM)
No way in hell Richard becomes a #2, at absolute max he's an average #3 but it's far more likely that he ends up a passable #4/5. Don't be blinded by the good stretch he's on because his stuff is very mediocre. I definitely agree with your last statement though.

I think that he's shown that he can be a pretty dominant pitcher. He's got big time stuff, a FB that gets up to 96, a good slider and an improving changeup. I also think he's been working on the cut FB (no surprise there). If he puts it all together he can be a really good player, I am not saying though that I think he'll become a #2 type starter. I just think that is his ceiling. More likely he's a solid 3 who puts up good numbers because he pitches in Petco.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 4, 2009 -> 11:01 PM)
Hudson @ AA(Birmingham in the SOU):

ERA 1.79

50.1 IP

K/9 10.01

BB/9 1.61

K/BB 6.22

HR/9 0.18

AVG .193

WHIP .85

BABIP .277

FIP 1.95

would love to hear what people on the board think about this comp.

Those numbers have changed. ERA 1.60, 56.1 IP, 63K, 10BB = BB/9 1.59, K/9 10.06 , K/BB 6.3, BAA .188, WHIP 0.83 Some impressive numbers from a guy spending his first full season in pro ball and has jumped levels twice so far.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 04:06 AM)
Those numbers have changed. ERA 1.60, 56.1 IP, 63K, 10BB = BB/9 1.59, K/9 10.06 , K/BB 6.3, BAA .188, WHIP 0.83 Some impressive numbers from a guy spending his first full season in pro ball and has jumped levels twice so far.

yeah i realized that as i was posting but i felt both sample sizes we're close so i did the comp even after yesterdays wonderful outing by hudson.

QUOTE (bighurt4life @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 04:06 AM)

The only bad thing about his transition to AA ball is that he is GO/AO ratio has dipped. In AA, it's 0.71 whereas it was above 1.0 in his previous stops. If he keeps that up, that will probably inflate his ERA because the next two potential stops for him are hitters parks. Still though, he looks like a great piece for our future.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)
The only bad thing about his transition to AA ball is that he is GO/AO ratio has dipped. In AA, it's 0.71 whereas it was above 1.0 in his previous stops. If he keeps that up, that will probably inflate his ERA because the next two potential stops for him are hitters parks. Still though, he looks like a great piece for our future.

You have to be careful of GO/AO, because it is ALL outs. If he strikes out more guys, it will drop. I would rather they did GB/FB ratios on there, but they don't.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 5, 2009 -> 04:01 PM)
You have to be careful of GO/AO, because it is ALL outs. If he strikes out more guys, it will drop. I would rather they did GB/FB ratios on there, but they don't.

GB/FB is on minor league splits and the data isn't all that different. Hudson last 3 starts have had good groundball rates though.