TONY PENA MAKES STEVE ANGRY.

Steve9347

QUOTE (knightni @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 03:32 AM)
Or, they could have offered the old guys on waivers earlier and showcased Allen at 1b like Arizona is doing.

The White Sox were 1 game back of first on August 5th, and were 2.5 back as recently as August 23rd...and you're doing what now?

It's not like Pena would have made much of a difference anyway; if they wanted to get him in the offseason, they could have.

Quite the contrary, had Pena come in and performed like a stud, it takes a hell of a lot of burden off of Matt Thornton, and then you can essentially throw Linebrink to the wolves. Pena performing would have been monstrous for the White Sox.

Beyond that, there is always the possibility that Arizona could have dealt him to someone else. They've dealt quite a few players from that roster already, and it's very easy to assume that they would have dealt Pena too.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen Brandon Allen for all of one at-bat. Otherwise, all I've looked at are his stats. So, criticize this opinion if you like.

BUT, I would say this is a deal I wish we could have made without dumping Brandon Allen. Moved to a more friendly hitters park -- at least I'm assuming there's a difference between Birmingham and the Diamondbacks' AAA fields -- the kid has launched into a HR tear that indicates he at least has potential power at the major league level. And as a lefty power hitter, he is something the White Sox no longer have at all. I would have kept him. Maybe he never pans out. But if he does, he looks like he'll hit more long balls than any other upcoming Sox player, including Beckham, Flowers, and even Viciedo. You can just look at him and see he has the size and the easy lefty swing to go deep.

Konerko's last season has to be next year. He's too risky to sign beyond that. So the Sox need a first baseman. Also, with the DH spot open, why not go with a young guy instead of moving Dye there? After his second half collapse, I no longer trust Dye. Sox could have gotten a lot younger next season by bringing up Flowers and Allen. Allen could DH and back up 1B. Flowers could also DH and back up C. Then you let Pods go and sign a RF to replace Dye. If Viciedo were ready, you could move Beckham to 2B.

Without Allen, though, you have no lefty power. It's a big hole the Sox have to find a way to fill.

Honestly, the guy has huge power. He hit a ball out last night at Chavez Ravine (which is not easy to do at night) where the right fielder did not even hardly move.

Granted, he also struck out two other times and looked horribly overmatched, but the power is certainly there. Let's just say this...the trade is done, we have to live with it...but if I could go back and reverse that one, I would.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 12:40 PM)
And he entered when they were already losing in like every game but 3. That stat is not nearly as terrible as you're trying to make it seem.

Yes it is. He has allowed a bunch of inherited runners to score, or allowed some on his own. That resulted in the Sox losing or making a comeback impossible. It is that bad.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 01:40 PM)
And he entered when they were already losing in like every game but 3. That stat is not nearly as terrible as you're trying to make it seem.

This guy is lighter fluid for the opposition he BLOWS, you keep defending him over and over for no reason!

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Sep 3, 2009 -> 12:48 PM)
It really isnt. Yes he's been bad, but that was a misleading stat and you know it.

In the last 10 losses that Pena pitched in, he was directly involved in 4 of those losses. I stopped there. I could go on. There is no way you can make that seem like it is not bad.

MIN 4-3 (Pena allows 2 hits and Thornton's run scores)

BOS 3-2 (Pena allows HR and takes loss)

SEA 1-0 (Pena allows only run and takes loss)

SEA 6-4 (Pena allows 2-run HR, 1 inherited runner scores)