SN Report: Sox, A's Close on Foulke/Koch Deal

Molto

I've been thinking and thinking about this and it has KW written all over it. He fixates on someone he wants (Wells, Ritchie or in this case Koch) and then proceeds to overpay. I just wonder who that minor leaguer will be if this trade happens. Oh well, I guess we'll all find out soon enough.

well, if it is a PTBNL, there shouldn't be any worry to it. those players hardly ever pan out, and if so, it would have to do more with our bad luck than anything else.

of course it could be a minor league player, which is where I'm with you and most of the people on this board. if they are gonna trade someone like a Malone per se, they better get a second player in return.

Typically PTBNL aren't top prospects and if they are a more talented prospects, they are likely injured and the reason they are named Later is because you can't really deal and injured player or most teams don't like to do so.

I'm guessing the A's will possibly ask for one of the relievers we acquired from Boston in the Howry deal. Neither of them were super talented and we have a stockpile of relief talent so I'm assuming one reliever not named Ring, Sanders, Almonte or Valentine is the player to be named later.

Originally posted by Chisoxfn

Typically PTBNL aren't top prospects and if they are a more talented prospects, they are likely injured and the reason they are named Later is because you can't really deal and injured player or most teams don't like to do so.

I'm guessing the A's will possibly ask for one of the relievers we acquired from Boston in the Howry deal.  Neither of them were super talented and we have a stockpile of relief talent so I'm assuming one reliever not named Ring, Sanders, Almonte or Valentine is the player to be named later.

Arnie Munoz should be on that list also.

Originally posted by Molto

well, if it is a PTBNL, there shouldn't be any worry to it.  those players hardly ever pan out, and if so, it would have to do more with our bad luck than anything else. 

of course it could be a minor league player, which is where I'm with you and most of the people on this board.  if they are gonna trade someone like a Malone per se, they better get a second player in return.

Not exactly. Remember, we traded Bradford for a PTBNL, and that guy was Miguel Olivo. I wouldn't be shocked to see Sanders shipped off.

if the sox do this deal then jerry manuel is going to have to change how he manages the bullpen...

in the past 4 seasons koch has pitched in 277 games and foulke in 278....but foulke racked up 352 to koch's 305....koch very rarely goes more than an inning in any outing...foulke has 47 more IP in the same amount of games...i dont think koch with his 98mph straight fastball will be a very effective 2 inning pitcher....this t rade also means we will need to strengthen the set up and specialty roles since those guys will have to pick up those extra innings...

the more i study this trade the more i dont like it

Remember, last season Foulke's role was changed a lot more in terms that he didn't have as many multiple inning outings.

Plus, if you watched the way Jerry handled the relievers, it changed drastically late in the season. Near the end he seemed to leave his relievers out their much longer, but during the majority of the season he was very quick with them.

Plus, if a manager can't change his style when it comes to a closer, then he shouldn't be managing. The typical closer only goes one inning and thats something ever manager in baseball has to deal with, if Jerry can't, then get his butt out of here.

Originally posted by baggio202

if the sox do this deal then jerry  manuel is going to have to change how he manages the bullpen...

in the past 4 seasons koch has pitched in 277 games and foulke in 278....but foulke racked up 352 to koch's 305....koch very rarely goes more than an inning in any outing...foulke has 47 more IP in the same amount of games...i dont think koch with his 98mph straight fastball will be a very effective 2 inning pitcher....this t rade also means we will need to strengthen the set up and specialty roles since those guys will have to pick up those extra innings...

Did you watch Koch any this year? Ive always liked him from his days at Toronto. He can go extra innnings alot. Plus with the reliever studs we got coming up, he wouldnt even have togo for more then an inning alot of the time. Especially with the 4 closers we will have in the future.

As for his reliability, he blows a save once in awhile. But he is still young, and he will fix that with better pitch control. Plus he scares the s*** out of hitters throwig that stinky cheese all over the plate. Even the great closers like smoltz etc blow their saves also

So as you can tell I am a big fan of koch

Originally posted by johndyce
Originally posted by baggio202

if the sox do this deal then jerry  manuel is going to have to change how he manages the bullpen...

Did you watch Koch any this year? Ive always liked him from his days at Toronto. He can go extra innnings alot. Plus with the reliever studs we got coming up, he wouldnt even have togo for more then an inning alot of the time. Especially with the 4 closers we will have in the future.

As for his reliability, he blows a save once in awhile. But he is still young, and he will fix that with better pitch control. Plus he scares the s*** out of hitters throwig that stinky cheese all over the plate. Even the great closers like smoltz etc blow their saves also

So as you can tell I am a big fan of koch

i dont dislike koch...i just dont like this deal...you want to add koch to the bullpen as it is thats great..he could the closer and let foulke pitch the 8th and sometimes the 7th and 8th...i love kieth as the set up man anyways..i think he is a little better than koch and could easily rack up 100-110 innings as a set up man..so he would pitch more...then koch would only have to go an inning and would get his 60 -70 innings keeping him fresh...

but trading koch for foulke is just like trading david wells for siro???..what did it accomplish???... nothing..same as this trade would..

now throw in MJ and we give up the only catcher on the staff with any real major league experience....olivo ws a sept call up and the most experience paul has had at any one stretch was 1/2 in '00 as a platoon catcher with MJ...he has never spent a full season on a amjor league roster...so while MJ might not be anything special..atleast we know what we got with him...if olivo shows he is not ready and falls on his face..say goodbye to any chance at a division title...

then we are giving up another player too???

not a good trade..

now if it was carlos lee for billy koch id be all for it

Lee for Koch would seem smarter for the A's if they had a closer in the waiting.

I agree with what you said baggs, it all makes sense, but I think the reason for this is that Koch will be here for a few years, while Foulke won't.

also for the fact that Foulke wants to start, while Koch wants to close (or at least accepts it).

I don't think we lose or win on this deal. it is very strange.

if we add let's say Lee in the deal and get someone like Harang in return (of course it would have to come after thomas' future is settled) I would consider that a trade with a purpose.

Don't you try to trade to improve your team? I don't see how we improve. Billy Botch blows games just like Foulke does, he blew at least 5. His whip is traditionally fairly high because that 100mph sails more than does a change up. Plus we give away a catcher they want and something else? Pull the plug.

along the lines of:

"Also to hsc, perhaps it's time to name your "source" and let the readers judge for themselves how real the possibility is. Because frankly if you were in the actual media business you'd be toasted, roasted and fried by now. If you can't (or won't) "name" your source, then information is needed of the individual's position.

What are we talking about here? A person say who is an assistant PR staffer with the Sox?, a janitor?, a groundskeeper? Kenny Williams secretary???

Before I can determine your credibility (which right now isn't very high) I need to have a better idea of how authentic the information and source is. Sorry that's the way this business works (and with respect I do know something about it)"