Financial News

jasonxctf

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 09:34 AM)
They did it in 2008 on the financials.

I don't think it serves any good purpose right now, I hope they don't do it.

When he says all marketplaces, that is a pretty broad spectrum. Anyways, a bald short sale ban will torpedo this market, because it will remove all confidence from it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 09:35 AM)
When he says all marketplaces, that is a pretty broad spectrum. Anyways, a bald short sale ban will torpedo this market, because it will remove all confidence from it.

I highly doubt it happens. I just saw an article yesterday, a survey of a bunch of high line money managers... 95% of them anticipate the market to go up as the year closes, average among them was like 15% or maybe higher. Corporate execs have been buying their own company stocks massively. It isn't that these people know everything, it is that they are the ones who move the market, and they see jumps. So I just don't see the short sale ban happening, which as you indicate, would take the wind out of the sails of the markets.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
I highly doubt it happens. I just saw an article yesterday, a survey of a bunch of high line money managers... 95% of them anticipate the market to go up as the year closes, average among them was like 15% or maybe higher. Corporate execs have been buying their own company stocks massively. It isn't that these people know everything, it is that they are the ones who move the market, and they see jumps. So I just don't see the short sale ban happening, which as you indicate, would take the wind out of the sails of the markets.

That is usually not a good sign, but a sign of a company trying to prop ups its stock price for its shareholders. Usually it fails and the stock price floats back to where it started from.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 09:54 AM)
That is usually not a good sign, but a sign of a company trying to prop ups its stock price for its shareholders. Usually it fails and the stock price floats back to where it started from.

No, you are misunderstanding. This is not a COMPANY buy-back, which is what you are describing. This is an individual exec buying shares FOR THEMSELVES. And at that scale, no one exec is buying enough stock to move the market in that stock purely on volume (except a few notable ones that have ridiculous money even by CEO standards). They are only doing it if they think it will make them money, which means they have confidence in a rebound, sooner or later.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 23, 2011 -> 09:56 AM)
No, you are misunderstanding. This is not a COMPANY buy-back, which is what you are describing. This is an individual exec buying shares FOR THEMSELVES. And at that scale, no one exec is buying enough stock to move the market in that stock purely on volume (except a few notable ones that have ridiculous money even by CEO standards). They are only doing it if they think it will make them money, which means they have confidence in a rebound, sooner or later.

Gotcha

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)
Gold is down about $100 an ounce today, and about $150 over the last two days. Silver is down almost 3 full dollars per ounce today.

Markets are solidifying a bit, at least for now. Fear factor is down a little, VIX with it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2011 -> 12:49 PM)
It will be interesting to see if this is finally the excuse to break the metals finally.

Probably will be more of a gradual thing, with the occasional, dramatic hiccup. That's my educated guess anyway, but who knows.

So we are working through these things slowly but surely. We have to get through this before home prices start to rebound, and most consumers are able to really spend again.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/08/25/rep...d-of-all-sales/

PALATINE, Ill. (CBS) — The latest figures from RealtyTrac show that in Illinois and nationwide, foreclosed homes now account for about a third of all home sales.

As WBBM Newsradio’s Regine Schlesinger reports, a local realtor says he sees opportunities, especially for first-time homebuyers.

Ryan Gable’s company, Starting Point Realty in Palatine, deals exclusively with first-time homebuyers. Gable says the sheer number of discounted homes through foreclosures and short-sales is offering buyers great opportunities.

“That market right now is ballooned, much more than it has been in the past,” Gable said.

The RealtyTrac report says the average discount on a bank-owned property in Illinois is about 50 percent, and on a home in default, nearly 25 percent.

HMMM. Huge put buying in GLD monday. Once again proves that mkts don't move, they are moved. What will Ben Keynes say from Jackson Hole tomorrow? Nothing IMO. That is why we rallied 75 handles this week. There were some rather large baskets bought this week. Pump it up so it has room to fall. Beware if 1120 breaks.

Moynihan saying we do not need capital earlier this week and then selling Buffet 5 billion in perpetual pfds. LOL. Buffet/Moynihan f*** the common shareholder once again. On an aside, the 10yr BAC bonds yielding 6.58% yesterday seem like a steal.....

Edited by Cknolls

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 25, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
So we are working through these things slowly but surely. We have to get through this before home prices start to rebound, and most consumers are able to really spend again.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/08/25/rep...d-of-all-sales/

I also saw that IL new home sales and permits are still going down a lot, and are among the lowest in the nation. That is good, IMO - makes IL in a better rebound position. We don't need a glut of new inventory.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/19/...E77I0Z820110819

GM says bankruptcy excuses it from Impala repairs

inShare70

Share this

Email

Print

Related News

GM to build Cadillac EV, eyes electric Chevy

Wed, Aug 17 2011

GM profit nearly doubles, slowdown risk ahead

Thu, Aug 4 2011

Automakers warn of fragile demand