Who will get the 2016 Games?

Which city will hold the 2016 Olympic Games?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which city WILL get it?

• Chicago
    • Rio
    • Tokyo
    • Madrid
  2. 2. Which city do you WANT to get it?

• Chicago
    • Rio
    • Tokyo
    • Madrid

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:38 AM)
I'm calling the upset win for Madrid; Spain's Juan Antonio Samaranch and his old boy network of European take advantage of a split between Chicago and Rio in the early rounds of voting, and IOC gives it to Madrid as sort of a "lifetime achievement" award to its former president.

Will give Eurpoe the 2012, 2014 and 2016 games not real likely.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:52 AM)
Tell me how you think Chicago's corruption with the Olympics is going to effect you.

The Olympics will run way over budget... book it. And they will find a way to pass that along to the tax payers... an no, not just chicago. They will find a way to say "hey, see how it effected all of cook county? Yea, we need you to pay up too!"

Daley will use this as yet another power grab. If he can plow over Meigs with no warning or authority, imagine what in can do in the name of the olympics.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:56 AM)
The Olympics will run way over budget... book it. And they will find a way to pass that along to the tax payers... an no, not just chicago. They will find a way to say "hey, see how it effected all of cook county? Yea, we need you to pay up too!"

Daley will use this as yet another power grab. If he can plow over Meigs with no warning or authority, imagine what in can do in the name of the olympics.

The latter I can understand.

The former, as has been illustrated numerous times, is incredibly unlikely. Even the naysayers are predicting a $4B net gain. They'd have to blow through all of that, AND through the insurance, AND through any additional private funding, AND through the reserve fund. Incredibly unlikely, barring some sort of disaster like a terrorist attack.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:46 AM)
Will give Eurpoe the 2012, 2014 and 2016 games not real likely.

Nope, not likely, but that's why its my "upset special." Besides, Sochhi, Russia is practically Asia, and that geographic argument cuts both ways, as North America has hosted three in a row before (1980, 1984, 1988) as well as in 1994, 2002, and 2010.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:58 AM)
The former, as has been illustrated numerous times, is incredibly unlikely. Even the naysayers are predicting a $4B net gain. They'd have to blow through all of that, AND through the insurance, AND through any additional private funding, AND through the reserve fund. Incredibly unlikely, barring some sort of disaster like a terrorist attack.

What major project in Chicago, in recent history, has gone at or even NEAR budget? Good Lord, "The Bean" was 4x OVER budget and it was just a metal sculpture! Let's not mention htat it takes 3 different union workers to carry a box from the loading dock to your display McCormick Place.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 10:02 AM)
What major project in Chicago, in recent history, has gone at or even NEAR budget? Good Lord, "The Bean" was 4x OVER budget and it was just a metal sculpture! Let's not mention htat it takes 3 different union workers to carry a box from the loading dock to your display McCormick Place.

Millennium Park is the example I worry about most, but on the other hand, the City did a terrific job with the Democratic National Convention in 1996, so there are examples that cut both ways.

And the union/MPEA relationship, though still a problem, is no longer the stuff of urban legend like it used to be. It has significantly improved and is likely to continue getting better.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 10:10 AM)
Ding Ding!

Projected to Cost: $150 million

Actual Cost: $475 million, delayed 4 years.

Thus, its a good thing the City wouldn't adminster the Olympics to anywhere near the same degree.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 10:17 AM)
It's being run by Daley and his people. 'nuf said.

I'm not naive enough to think he won't have influence, but I don't believe any Olympics are "run" by local mayors. There are international checks and balances (largely too ensure the graft is spread around globally).

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:38 AM)
I'm calling the upset win for Madrid; Spain's Juan Antonio Samaranch and his old boy network of European take advantage of a split between Chicago and Rio in the early rounds of voting, and IOC gives it to Madrid as sort of a "lifetime achievement" award to its former president.

Madrid makes the finals.