Rule 5 Draft

scenario

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 12:48 PM)
I'm really suprised that we didn't protect Shelby. I thought this year was going to be a breaking point in terms of prospect-status for him, but the potential the Sox saw him with still exists. No way he doesn't get claimed.

I bet they just feel there's no team willing to select him and have him on their major roster all year next year.

JPN is going to be pissed about Marrero not being on there. I too am irked about Shelby.

Why not just outright Marquez and Armstrong or Torres? Hynick being added is another 5th/6th starter type and Ely isn't that far away, so we don't need to keep all these fringe guys around. I understand Luis and Santos, but Omogrosso is also confusing. How can you keep a player on your roster if he's not even throwing the baseball?

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 12:59 PM)
Say hello to your new Oakland A's 4th/5th OF!

Yeah a team like them or the Nationals I could see doing that. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that must have been their assumption. Either that or they have no faith in him ever becoming a regular major league baseball player

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 12:03 PM)
Yeah a team like them or the Nationals I could see doing that. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that must have been their assumption. Either that or they have no faith in him ever becoming a regular major league baseball player

It's probably a bit of both. Shelby has enough right now with his speed and ability to play multiple OF positions to stick around long enough as an extra on a bad team.

I'm just surprised the Sox didn't go with the talent factor here. How many fringe starting pitchers do we need? We've got Ely pretty close. Harrell and Shirek both have higher ceilings and they're not too far away. Hynick is another fringe guy who is close, and in an emergency situation Carrasco is here. Things would have to go very wrong for us to need any of those guys, and if that did happen, we'd be looking for a short-term solution through the trade market anyway and would only need to rely on our guys for a couple of starts. I just don't get it. A guy like Marquez or Torres probably isn't going to end up getting a real shot on this club anyway, and I'd rather let one of those guys go just to give Shelby another chance in the minors next year. Maybe Shelby never turns out, but on talent alone he's a far better prospect than those guys.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 12:57 PM)
Why not just outright Marquez and Armstrong or Torres? Hynick being added is another 5th/6th starter type and Ely isn't that far away, so we don't need to keep all these fringe guys around. I understand Luis and Santos, but Omogrosso is also confusing. How can you keep a player on your roster if he's not even throwing the baseball?

Wasn't Marquez injured most of last season? I would not be suprised, due to K. W.'s comments on him last season, that K. W. sees Marquez as a strong candidate for long relief next season. This would free up Carasco for the later innings.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 01:20 PM)
Santo Luis, but no Shelby? Goofy if you ask me.

Santo's k-rate is pretty, but yeah, his control is either non-existent at times or fleeting. Shelby... i don't know.... end of an era i guess. He always struck me as a guy who would work well near the back-end of a trade, a lot of upside, with up and down results.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
Santo Luis, but no Shelby? Goofy if you ask me.

No surprise with Gartrell though, I didn't know what people were talking about not protecting him. Sox are high on him, it seems.

Luis would have been a pretty good candidate to be selected. First, he's eligible for the MiLB IIRC, so if he makes it through the MLB phase - which is no guarantee because when you touch 100mph teams like you - then he'd definitely be selected to someone's MiLB team. He'd be as good as gone basically.

Edit: Actually I take that back, Luis could have been placed on the 37-player AA reserve list to protect him from the MiLB phase. But there's still a good chance he'd get selected in the MLB phase as his arm, even for a brief look, is worth the claim fee. If he had been left off and then claimed he would be a likely return candidate though given his lack of control. So maybe they could have kept him in the organization then.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (balfanman @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 12:18 PM)
Wasn't Marquez injured most of last season? I would not be suprised, due to K. W.'s comments on him last season, that K. W. sees Marquez as a strong candidate for long relief next season. This would free up Carasco for the later innings.

I really don't think Carrasco has the stuff to work as a setup guy. His main value comes in being able to work 3-4 innings while only giving up a run or two, saving the bullpen and keeping us in the game if the offense makes a comeback. If Hudson is still here I expect Hudson to take that setup role and perform rather awesomely.

Marquez must still be someone the Sox like. If he does get healthy and stay healthy IMO he's better than Torres at least, but the health question is a big one, and on top of that, cracking the Sox rotation would pretty much be a pipedream for him. I'm sure he does have a shot a LR though, but again, that's Carrasco's duty for now.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 12:29 PM)
I really don't think Carrasco has the stuff to work as a setup guy. His main value comes in being able to work 3-4 innings while only giving up a run or two, saving the bullpen and keeping us in the game if the offense makes a comeback. If Hudson is still here I expect Hudson to take that role and perform rather awesomely.

Marquez must still be someone the Sox like. If he does get healthy and stay healthy IMO he's better than Torres at least, but the health question is a big one, and on top of that, cracking the Sox rotation would pretty much be a pipedream for him. I'm sure he does have a shot a LR though, but again, that's Carrasco's duty for now.

I disagree on Hudson. I think they give him a 7th or 8th inning type role, either part time or full time. Then if successful, he'll move to starter when someone falters. I don't think they'll use him for garbage time, especially since, as you say, Carrasco is pretty ideal for that role.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 06:26 PM)
Shelby isn't going to get picked in the Rule V draft. He still has too much to work on, imo.

But he's the type of player that someone could take and hide as their 4th/5th outfielder and pinch runner for a year, which is a role I'm sure he could handle due to his good/very good defensive ability. Offensively he's obviously not ready but I am expecting him to get taken.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 12:35 PM)
I disagree on Hudson. I think they give him a 7th or 8th inning type role, either part time or full time. Then if successful, he'll move to starter when someone falters. I don't think they'll use him for garbage time, especially since, as you say, Carrasco is pretty ideal for that role.

I meant Hudson taking a setup role, but I'll edit that so it sounds less confusing.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 11:48 AM)
I'm really suprised that we didn't protect Shelby. I thought this year was going to be a breaking point in terms of prospect-status for him, but the potential the Sox saw him with still exists. No way he doesn't get claimed.

What about his year last year screams put me on a major league roster for a year?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
What about his year last year screams put me on a major league roster for a year?

It's just his talent that's intriguing. On a terrible team he can be an adequate 5th OF/pinch runner for a year, then he'd be back in the minors again to continue developing. I don't think anyone would consider giving him much playing time right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Most teams already have toolsy minor league outfielders who are struggling at the plate.

Not sure they'll come running to add one of ours to their major league roster.

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
^^^^^^^^^^^^

Most teams already have toolsy minor league outfielders who are struggling at the plate.

Not sure they'll come running to add one of ours to their major league roster.

Despite the loss in power and the low batting average, he actually cut his K rate pretty significantly going from W-S to Birmingham and he more than doubled his BB rate last year as well. Shelby will get claimed IMO.

Every org also has a ton of fringey SP. Dumb move by the Sox protecting one of those guys over the far more talented Shelby.

Edit: Shelby's OBP dropped only 8 points last year from his numbers at W-S even though his batting average dropped 52 points. Maybe his numbers weren't impressive overall, but that is.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Nov 20, 2009 -> 07:21 PM)
Despite the loss in power and the low batting average, he actually cut his K rate pretty significantly going from W-S to Birmingham and he more than doubled his BB rate last year as well. Shelby will get claimed IMO.

Every org also has a ton of fringey SP. Dumb move by the Sox protecting one of those guys over the far more talented Shelby.

Edit: Shelby's OBP dropped only 8 points last year from his numbers at W-S even though his batting average dropped 52 points. Maybe his numbers weren't impressive overall, but that is.

Exactly, what were the biggest knocks on Shelby coming into this year? His BB% and K%. What did he do this year? Improve both dramatically. The drop in average can be attributed to poor luck (BABIP).

I expect him to perform much better next year.