Who Thinks that the Sox

LDF

The only catch may be the 40-man roster issue.  According to the Sox web site, they only have 38 players currently on Major League roster.  If that is the case, then the only issue with bringing up Cotts is do they add him to the 40-man this early.  If they are not confident he can be in Chicago next year and may need AAA time, then you are starting the MLB service time clock awfully early.

I forgot about the 40-man roster issue. In that case, I think I'd rather see Diaz called up to start than Cotts. But, then again, if he's gonna be ready like every seems to think he will be, then why not call him up?

never thought of it that way................ i like it.

do you think a bad outing might kill their confidence?

No....... one outing isn't gonna kill a guy...... Most of these guys are tough enough to deal with that..... Hell, if they are not, then it is better to find out now.

again a great post............ i am ready, bring up the kids. i been high on a lot of them and i want to see them succeed.

f***ing a!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This won't be popular, but I think Wright is the best option, depending on rest. Cotts goes Monday and if a 5th starter is needed on Saturday (going on what someone else posted, I haven't looked at the schedule) then he would be right on schedule.

Watch how he does tomorrow night and it may give you some insight. He is coming off by far his best outing of the year, so if he can double that up tomorrow night, he may be deemed ready. The only catch may be the 40-man roster issue. According to the Sox web site, they only have 38 players currently on Major League roster. If that is the case, then the only issue with bringing up Cotts is do they add him to the 40-man this early. If they are not confident he can be in Chicago next year and may need AAA time, then you are starting the MLB service time clock awfully early.

I think Cotts will be the man, although Wright is the safer choice. I got a great feeling about Cotts and I think he can handle himself.

Rex, only got one question

From what you've seen of Neal does he seem strong mentally. By that I mean can he overcome aversity if he does get hit hard at first.

I did a little research last week and don't think I ever posted this...  It comes from the "meaningless, yet somewhat interesting stat" category...

Before last Wednesday's start, Neal Cotts record was 8-4 with a 2.28 ERA.  Anyone want to guess what Mark Buehrle's stats were with the Barons, when he was promoted to Chicago??

Yep, you guessed it.......    8-4, 2.28 ERA

Note:  To show you how numbers can be deceiving... Cotts record now stands at 8-5, 2.30 ERA, yet he just came off his best outing of the year, by far.

Holy s***....that's neato.

Hell, there isn't even a smiley that works with that. Maybe this one is good enough :whip

never thought of it that way................ i like it.

do you think a bad outing might kill their confidence?

No....... one outing isn't gonna kill a guy...... Most of these guys are tough enough to deal with that..... Hell, if they are not, then it is better to find out now.

again a great post............ i am ready, bring up the kids. i been high on a lot of them and i want to see them succeed.

f***ing a!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This won't be popular, but I think Wright is the best option, depending on rest. Cotts goes Monday and if a 5th starter is needed on Saturday (going on what someone else posted, I haven't looked at the schedule) then he would be right on schedule.

Watch how he does tomorrow night and it may give you some insight. He is coming off by far his best outing of the year, so if he can double that up tomorrow night, he may be deemed ready. The only catch may be the 40-man roster issue. According to the Sox web site, they only have 38 players currently on Major League roster. If that is the case, then the only issue with bringing up Cotts is do they add him to the 40-man this early. If they are not confident he can be in Chicago next year and may need AAA time, then you are starting the MLB service time clock awfully early.

I think Cotts will be the man, although Wright is the safer choice. I got a great feeling about Cotts and I think he can handle himself.

Rex, only got one question

From what you've seen of Neal does he seem strong mentally. By that I mean can he overcome aversity if he does get hit hard at first.

Hard to say, he never gets hit hard. LOL

Part of me believes that there are two Barons that could contribute at the major league level now if given the chance and they are Cotts and Reed.

Still, going slower is probably best. No way will Reed be up this year, except maybe as an extra player in September. Its all a question with Cotts of how confident the Sox are of his abilities.

In all seriousness, Cotts has been pretty inconsistent this year and especially lately. Now let me explain, because I am admitting up front that I am splitting hairs...

Cotts last two outings were against Chattanooga, which is a team that has several veteran hitters.

DATE G# OPP H/R DEC GS GF CG IP H AB TBF R ER HR BB SO WP BK

07/17/03 CNG R L 1 6.0 8 24 27 4 4 2 4 2.28

07/23/03 CNG H L 1 7.0 3 23 23 2 2 5 2.30

He struggled against them, then turned around and dominated them. If you didn't catch the discussion about that outing before, he had faced the minimum through 7 innings on only one hit. He gave up two hits to lead off the 8th and was removed.

In his two outings before that, they were both against Jacksonville.

DATE G# OPP H/R DEC GS GF CG IP H AB TBF R ER HR BB SO WP BK

06/28/03 JAX R W 1 5.0 3 17 20 1 7 1.83

07/04/03 JAX H L 1 4.1 2 12 18 2 2 6 3 1.97

He pitched well in the first outing, then struggled with 6 BB's in the second.

Don't get me wrong, Neal is a great pitcher and has improved in terms of the number of walks allowed (sans the July 4th outing). He can be a very dominant pitcher and I am hoping he can put together two dominating performances back-to-back. If he does, then I will feel comfortable that he has turned the corner and is ready for Chicago. If he comes out tomorrow night and walks 4-6 guy in 5-6 innings, then I would hold off promoting him right now. I am much less worried about him giving up hits than I am walks.

Part of me believes that there are two Barons that could contribute at the major league level now if given the chance and they are Cotts and Reed.

Still, going slower is probably best.  No way will Reed be up this year, except maybe as an extra player in September.  Its all a question with Cotts of how confident the Sox are of his abilities.

Reed should not be promoted this year. It is way too early for that.

That said, Reed is an excellent player. Right now the only question about him is how much power will he develop. Right now he would fit very nicely as a two-hole hitter. He can hit the ball to all fields, can bunt (both for sac and for a hit), run, and doesn't strike out much.

If, down the road he develops more than gap power, he could easily move into the three hole and be an unbelievable hitter.

Some may question his defense, but I sure don't see it. He has played a stellar OF whether he has played RF or CF. He has made some unbelievable catches.

I see him as a really solid Major Leaguer. He may not be spetacular, but he will be good at the least. He brings all of the intangibles you want to the table as well. He is just a damned good baseball player.

I did a little research last week and don't think I ever posted this... It comes from the "meaningless, yet somewhat interesting stat" category...

Before last Wednesday's start, Neal Cotts record was 8-4 with a 2.28 ERA. Anyone want to guess what Mark Buehrle's stats were with the Barons, when he was promoted to Chicago??

Yep, you guessed it....... 8-4, 2.28 ERA

Note: To show you how numbers can be deceiving... Cotts record now stands at 8-5, 2.30 ERA, yet he just came off his best outing of the year, by far.

I've never posted on this site, but I thought this was so interesting I copied it to the MLB Sox site. Hope you don't mind.

My vote would be to bring up Cotts unless the Pirates are willing to drop Suppan into our laps very cheaply (Porzio cheap, for example).

I'm guessing the Sox' front office is leaning toward Wright if a trade is not made, but Cotts would have the element of unfamiliarity to his benefit. And we've seen 4 other starters come up from the minors this year and dominate.

Dontrelle Willis, 21, from AA

Rich Harden, 21, from AAA (followed Cotts in the futures game)

Jerome Williams, 21, from AAA

Brandon Webb, 24, from AAA

Neal Cotts could be #5.

My vote would be to bring up Cotts unless the Pirates are willing to drop Suppan into our laps very cheaply (Porzio cheap, for example). 

I'm guessing the Sox' front office is leaning toward Wright if a trade is not made, but Cotts would have the element of unfamiliarity to his benefit.  And we've seen 4 other starters come up from the minors this year and dominate. 

Dontrelle Willis, 21, from AA

Rich Harden, 21, from AAA (followed Cotts in the futures game)

Jerome Williams, 21, from AAA

Brandon Webb, 24, from AAA

Neal Cotts could be #5.

hey welcome to the great (insane) board that we call home. :)

Well son of a b****.....

Just turned on the Barons game and found they were losing 4-2 in the top of the 9th inning. Apparently Mobile scored 4 runs in the bottom of the 8th inning after being NO HIT through 7 innings. Looks like another tough luck loss again for Cotts.

More details to follow.

I would not bring up Cotts this year under ANY circumstances. The Sox have been bit in the ass far too ofte in the past for rushing their guys to the bigs. Let him finish out the year in AA, and then let him go to AAA, then gradually to the bigs.

hey welcome to the great (insane) board that we call home.

Thanks. I've been posting on the MLB site since the trade deadline in 2000 under the same name. I assume others who post on both sites do the same. I must say, I found the discussion of Cotts more enlightening here.

After tonight's game, I'm more convinced than ever that Cotts could add his name to the young impact pitchers who have come up this year. Maybe he can't go 9, but a no hitter for 7 looks a lot better than most Sox options.

Walks aren't great, but since no one can hit the ball, they shouldn't hurt him.

Thanks.  I've been posting on the MLB site since the trade deadline in 2000 under the same name.  I assume others who post on both sites do the same.  I must say, I found the discussion of Cotts more enlightening here. 

After tonight's game, I'm more convinced than ever that Cotts could add his name to the young impact pitchers who have come up this year. Maybe he can't go 9, but a no hitter for 7 looks a lot better than most Sox options. 

I think he cuold give you a solid 5-6 innings right now. Walks do come back to haunt you when you get to the Big Leagues, so he will have to watch that. But I don't view tonight's 5 too harshly, since two of them came as he was running out of gas.

Thanks.  I've been posting on the MLB site since the trade deadline in 2000 under the same name.  I assume others who post on both sites do the same.  I must say, I found the discussion of Cotts more enlightening here. 

every board has a personality and ours i think goes with more on the minors leaguers and how they are doing and of course with the bigs as well.

that is my opinion

To start, let me see say that it would not surprise me if we picked up a starting pitcher before the trade deadline.

If not, from what I understand, Danny Wright has been struggling in AAA, so I don't think he'd be the one chosen. I'd really like to see Cotts finishe this year with out hitting the 40 man roster, just to keep his service time clock from starting. One name that hasn't been mentioned, and I don't know how he has been doing in the minors, is Josh Stewart. Is he healthy yet?