Jenks talks about faith, family

Balta1701

Jenks piece on ESPN Chicago

But though he looks decidedly trimmer, Jenks took a deep breath as the crowd of reporters receded, revealing there have been far bigger changes in his life than a few less pounds.

"When everything is in front of you, you see what you have, what this game can provide for us, and you want to do everything you can to make your kids' lives much better, and that's what I've been trying to do," he said.

Jenks has four children now, the latest addition to his and wife Adele's brood a baby boy named Jackson born six weeks ago, and fatherhood spurred the changes as much as anything, he said.

"I no longer drink," he said. "No alcohol at all. Not even a beer here or there. Just things like that, really focusing on the future. It was a personal choice. It hadn't gotten too much. I just found myself not wanting to [drink] anymore. I just wanted to be more of a family man. Then this last year, I came to Christ and that was a big influence on my life."

As it is, the two-time All-Star ranks third in team history with 146 saves, was the second-fastest pitcher in major league history to reach the 100-save milestone and will forever be remembered for saving the final game of the 2005 World Series, the first rookie since the Dodgers' Larry Sherry in 1959 to accomplish that feat.

"I love Bobby," said catcher A.J. Pierzynski. "He's been here a long time with me and I want him to do well and we need him to do well. He has a great family, great wife, kids. Bobby has had ups and downs, we've all had ups and downs, and seeing Bobby happy, when he's right, he's one of the best in the game and we need him to be that this year."

"This is the team that gave me my real shot doing what I'm doing now," he said. "Regardless of what happens, I'll never forget that. [but] whether I'm here or not, this is always going to be a special place for me."

Whatever ill will there may have been lingering since last fall, Jenks, Williams and manager Ozzie Guillen said it is behind them.

"He looks the best I've ever seen him, and I'm really proud of this guy," Williams said. "Just sitting here and looking at me and Ozzie, looking us right in the eye, addressing some of the issues head on, like men. I'm proud of him.

"Good for him. Sometimes, you have to push some buttons to ultimately get to that point."

Ultimately, the "buttons" were decidedly bigger than most realized and whether the changes in Jenks' personal life will show up on the mound remains to be seen.

"We'll find out," Jenks said. "I'm going to have the same aggression; you're just not going to see it. But it's going to be there as it always has. I guess I'm just more calm in my personal life.

"I put more pressure on myself than anybody. The team is paying you for a service and as much of a passion as it is for me to go out and play the game, it's still considered a job and I'm going to go out and do my job as best I can and I'm going to hold myself responsible for whatever happens."

QUOTE (beleiveinbrian44 @ Jan 25, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
ive been a regular on this site for a really long time, but never post. but i saw this story on bobby and i thought i would post it.

a perfect changeup

sounds like hes gotten on the right path. hopefully he'll have a great year.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=76053

good story, i agree

Edited by Melissa1334