$8 million for Ben Sheets? Whaaat?

Steve9347

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 05:43 AM)
Love the deal for the A's. Little bit of a Risk, but if anything goes well with sheets, they make out big

Disagree. Even if everything goes well with Sheets, based on his history the odds of him living up to that contract are low. Secondly, they could easily have signed 2 or 3 other guys for that money who would give them more performance than Sheets. I'd rather have signed Piniero for that money.

I like it - Because I see him being traded mid season for prospects. The negative is the high salary... So much money means there is much risk involved, but if anything is half-right, and he stays half-healthy in a good oakland system/park, they could turn him into a good return come mid season.

QUOTE (CryptviLL @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)
I like it - Because I see him being traded mid season for prospects. The negative is the high salary... So much money means there is much risk involved, but if anything is half-right, and he stays half-healthy in a good oakland system/park, they could turn him into a good return come mid season.

That salary though will limit the number of teams willing to trade for him midseason for several reasons. First, any team with budgetary constraints is out; unless the A's add in money, he's not going to the AL Central outside of Detroit, for example. Second, because he's already getting $10 million, unless he's Cy Young good in the first half...teams that trade for him likely won't be able to count on getting draft picks if he walks, because he'd be likely to accept arbitration on that contract.