$8 million for Ben Sheets? Whaaat?

Steve9347

According to CBSSports.com, the A's have agreed to terms with right-hander Ben Sheets on a one-year contract worth around $8 million.

CBS' Danny Knobler hears that Sheets has already passed his physical and a deal will be announced Tuesday afternoon. The 31-year-old righty missed all of 2009 due to elbow surgery but he was impressive in a throwing session last week and carries a 3.72 career ERA. Job well done by Oakland GM Billy Beane.

$10 million guaranteed for Ben Sheets. Wow.

Basically, it means the A's will pay $4 or 5 million for half a season, then ship him off for prospects in July. Is there really any other way this could go down? Matt Holliday v.2. (Orlando Cabrera too.)

Is it worth it to pay $4 or $5 million to get a few prospects? Considering draft hassles, signing bonuses and bust rates, maybe Beane thinks it is.

...of course all of that is dependent on Sheets keeping it together for the first half of the season.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
$10 million guaranteed for Ben Sheets. Wow.

Basically, it means the A's will pay $4 or 5 million for half a season, then ship him off for prospects in July. Is there really any other way this could go down? Matt Holliday v.2. (Orlando Cabrera too.)

Yeah, he could get hurt or struggle and the A's pay for the whole thing.

I love rotoworld's line.

If the Mets had guaranteed him $10 million, everyone would call them desperate, but Billy Beane does it and he keeps his genius hat. It's the way of the world.

I'm as big of a Beane fan as there is around here, but this is the straight truth. It's sort of like he just resigned Rich Harden, except he's paying him more than Rich Harden is actually going to get.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
I love rotoworld's line.

I'm as big of a Beane fan as there is around here, but this is the straight truth. It's sort of like he just resigned Rich Harden, except he's paying him more than Rich Harden is actually going to get.

Add to that Sheets is older. Much older.

Beane is lucky a book was written about him... I'll cue Hawk Harrelson and point out that he hasn't done s*** since the trio of Hudson, Zito, and Mulder were dealt/walked/started sucking.

You figure if it wasn't going to prevent the A's from signing anyone else (which it doesn't look like it would), then there's nothing lost here. Would anyone see a scenario where the A's are in contention midseason and would use extra money to acquire someone? That doesn't sound like something they'd do.

I wouldn't see the Sox doing it, ever, but if I'm the A's there's nothing to lose. And Rotoworld was right, Beane can do no wrong.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 26, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
Add to that Sheets is older. Much older.

Beane is lucky a book was written about him... I'll cue Hawk Harrelson and point out that he hasn't done s*** since the trio of Hudson, Zito, and Mulder were dealt/walked/started sucking.

And he gets no credit for getting all three of those guys, right? Also, have you seen Brett Anderson pitch? Some of the arms in that system are nothing to scoff at. They have a hell of a future ahead of them, and nobody said Beane was perfect. He used to be ahead of the game, now he's just in the middle of the pack.

When is the "Moneyball" movie supposed to come out?

I can't wait until the A's are in last place at that time and maybe KW will finally get some credit....

It will be interesting to see who plays KW and how he's made to look in the film, or if that gets cut out/edited.

Brad Pitt ... Billy Beane

Demetri Martin ... Paul De Podesta

David Justice ... Himself

Rick Yudt ... JP Ricciardi????

Darryl Strawberry ... Himself

Lenny Dykstra ... Himself

Scott Hatteberg ... Himself

Frankie Ingrassia ... Tara Beane (uncredited)

Wonder who will play Grady Fuson, he was a big part of that book, too.

Does Miguel Olivo get to be in the movie? Chad Bradford? Keith Foulke? Cotts? Koch? Swisher? Blanton? Dotel?

I think with the success of "The Blind Side" by the same author (surely they'll use that Michael Lewis connection in trailers) and Mr. Hollywood Brad Pitt attached to the project, it will end up getting made.

I'm actually curious if Kenny Williams would agree to play himself in that role. Since it's basically denigrating his performance as GM, I wouldn't think so. On the other hand, Kenny's ego is big enough that he fancies himself capable of portraying his own persona much more accurately than any Hollywood actor.

Edited by caulfield12

I wouldn't scoff at the A's ability to compete in the West. If Sheets/Duchscherer (or just one of them) come back healthy w/ Anderson and Cahill, their rotation is legit. And a foursome of Bailey, Zeigler, Wuertz, and Devine can be lights out. They definitely need a bat, or a couple breakout seasons, but that pitching staff can be fantastic.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jan 27, 2010 -> 12:09 AM)
I wouldn't scoff at the A's ability to compete in the West. If Sheets/Duchscherer (or just one of them) come back healthy w/ Anderson and Cahill, their rotation is legit. And a foursome of Bailey, Zeigler, Wuertz, and Devine can be lights out. They definitely need a bat, or a couple breakout seasons, but that pitching staff can be fantastic.

You are far too kind, that rotation definitely has some promise but their offense makes the sox offense look potent.