Which is a sport?

Texsox

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which is a sport? Select more than one if you like.

• WNBA
    • NASCAR
    • Golf
    • Bowling
    • Beer Pong
    • Pool
    • Cornhole
    • 16" Softball
    • Poker

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 12:50 AM)
To me, there has to be some sort of very common or at least reasonably common occurance which can cause a person to breathe hard from athletic effort for it to be a sport. Thus, I only voted WNBA and 16" softball. And I'd have voted for figure skating if it were on there as well.

Generally, you need to be in very good shape to be a race car driver. Especially if its something like F1. It is physically exhausting to drive a car like that. I don't know if that makes it a sport, but it's not like driving a Camry on the highway.

Now for the stock (mis-attributed) Hemmingway quote:

“Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 12:22 PM)
Generally, you need to be in very good shape to be a race car driver. Especially if its something like F1. It is physically exhausting to drive a car like that. I don't know if that makes it a sport, but it's not like driving a Camry on the highway.

Now for the stock (mis-attributed) Hemmingway quote:

“Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."

This is definitely true, and that's why I gave it strong consideration. But, you're still sitting all race. I can't call something that involves sitting the whole time a sport.

A sport is either A) any competition involving heavy physical activity in which men so strongly outperform women that the women are either held out of the sport entirely or given their own league, or B) any competition in which males are asked to test their manliness by demonstrating their proficiency in tasks that since the dawn of man have universally fallen under the responsibility of the males within a given tribe or community, most specifically tasks relating to the procurement of food, self-defense, the defense of a tribe or community, the expansion of a tribe or community, and the taking of wives. This is why NASCAR (Danica Patrick), golf (LPGA, but no heavy physical activity), poker, beer pong, cheerleading, bowling etc. are not sports, but log-throwing (women can't do it) fishing (food), hunting (food), archery (food/fighting), and fencing (fighting) are. And if it existed, this is also why competitive polygamy would be a sport. Under this definition, war, not soccer, is the most popular team sport in the world.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Feb 27, 2010 -> 10:09 PM)
A sport is either A) any competition involving heavy physical activity in which men so strongly outperform women that the women are either held out of the sport entirely or given their own league, or B) any competition in which males are asked to test their manliness by demonstrating their proficiency in tasks that since the dawn of man have universally fallen under the responsibility of the males within a given tribe or community, most specifically tasks relating to the procurement of food, self-defense, the defense of a tribe or community, the expansion of a tribe or community, and the taking of wives. This is why NASCAR (Danica Patrick), golf (LPGA, but no heavy physical activity), poker, beer pong, cheerleading, bowling etc. are not sports, but log-throwing (women can't do it) fishing (food), hunting (food), archery (food/fighting), and fencing (fighting) are. And if it existed, this is also why competitive polygamy would be a sport. Under this definition, war, not soccer, is the most popular team sport in the world.

Awesome. :headbang