2010 Fantasy Baseball VENT Thread

Brian

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 27, 2010 -> 04:56 PM)
I can't see how a team with Prince Fielder, Ian Kinsler, Ben Zobrist, Michael Young, Adam Lind, Felix Hernandez, Justin Verlander, Jered Weaver, Jair Jurrjens, and Jonathan Broxton can be in last place.

Amen, the team I won my roto league with last year is currently in ninth place by 33 points from the person in 1st

Brian McCann

Adrian Gonzalez

Ian Kinsler DL - (Martin Prado)

Ryan Zimmerman

Hanley Ramirez

Justin Upton

Manny Ramirez - DL

Shane Victorino

Colby Rasmus

Denard Span

Just traded Billingsley and Romero to get Kevin Gregg and Jon Lester (who I wanted badly as he is always a bad early month pitcher)

Ricky Romero

Brett Anderson - DL

Matt Cain

Wade Davis (just picked up)

Jeff Neimann(just picked up)

Homer Bailey

Marmol

Billy Wagner

Rafael Soriano

I have been decimated by injuries so far and am getting dominated, although my offense is almost all an all star team

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 11:36 AM)
Wow. I wouldn't have made that trade.

Really??? IMO, thats a great trade. Despite his bad start, Lester can still be a top-15 SP and although Gregg will blow up at some point, he will still rack up the saves until then. Billingsley has the potential, but something hasn't seemed right since the middle of last year and Romero is decent, but not that good to worry about trading him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 12:47 PM)
Really??? IMO, thats a great trade. Despite his bad start, Lester can still be a top-15 SP and although Gregg will blow up at some point, he will still rack up the saves until then. Billingsley has the potential, but something hasn't seemed right since the middle of last year and Romero is decent, but not that good to worry about trading him.

You're in essence trading two top 25 SPs for one top 25 guy.

Gregg's success is negligible, just like Lester's failure, but Romero has a past history of success, and Billingsley is overdue on breaking out.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)

Gregg's success is negligible, just like Lester's failure, but Romero has a past history of success, and Billingsley is overdue on breaking out.

I guess we just have different opinions on the pitchers involved. I consider Romero & Billingsley much closer to top 50 SPs than top 25 guys, which would make it worth for a top 20 pitcher like Lester. I know Billingsley is due, but it just seems like something's not right and that it won't happen.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 12:07 PM)

In basic yahoo format, Billingsley has never been a top 25 pitcher - I'll take the Ace from Boston

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 05:16 PM)
In basic yahoo format, Billingsley has never been a top 25 pitcher - I'll take the Ace from Boston

Lester will not have better stats than Romero and Billingsley will put together.

If Lester even improves off of his 2008 stats (he was injured in '09), you're looking at 17 wins, ERA of 3.20, and 170 Ks.

That's worse than Billingsley did by himself in 2008 before last year's minor regression.

Romero was very good in his first season in the majors last year before injury.

13 wins, 4.30 ERA 141K in only 178 IP.

So, if Billingsley gets even close to 2008, you're looking at:

15 W 3.60 ERA 170 K

Romero's been great so far, he could be:

16 W 3.80 ERA 180 K

Gregg is way over his head so far this year; if he pitches decent in the AL you're looking at:

2 W 4.20 ERA 65 K 25 SV

If he reverts back to last year:

4 W 4.78 ERA 45 K 15 SV - and he loses the closer job by the Break.

So,

Lester: 17 W 3.20 ERA 170 K

Gregg: 2 W 4.20 ERA 65K 25 SV

for

Billingsley: 15 W 3.60 ERA 170 K

Romero: 16 W 3.80 ERA 180 K

You lose 12 W ERA is about even and lose 115 K - gain a few saves - but you might get 15-20 saves off of the waiver wire.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 30, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)
Lester will not have better stats than Romero and Billingsley will put together.

If Lester even improves off of his 2008 stats (he was injured in '09), you're looking at 17 wins, ERA of 3.20, and 170 Ks.

That's worse than Billingsley did by himself in 2008 before last year's minor regression.

Romero was very good in his first season in the majors last year before injury.

13 wins, 4.30 ERA 141K in only 178 IP.

So, if Billingsley gets even close to 2008, you're looking at:

15 W 3.60 ERA 170 K

Romero's been great so far, he could be:

16 W 3.80 ERA 180 K

Gregg is way over his head so far this year; if he pitches decent in the AL you're looking at:

2 W 4.20 ERA 65 K 25 SV

If he reverts back to last year:

4 W 4.78 ERA 45 K 15 SV - and he loses the closer job by the Break.

So,

Lester: 17 W 3.20 ERA 170 K

Gregg: 2 W 4.20 ERA 65K 25 SV

for

Billingsley: 15 W 3.60 ERA 170 K

Romero: 16 W 3.80 ERA 180 K

You lose 12 W ERA is about even and lose 115 K - gain a few saves - but you might get 15-20 saves off of the waiver wire.

Tis true but in making this trade, it let me drop Franklin Morales and another DL let me pick up Wade Davis and Jeff Neimann so they will more than make up for it

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ May 2, 2010 -> 07:59 PM)
Tis true but in making this trade, it let me drop Franklin Morales and another DL let me pick up Wade Davis and Jeff Neimann so they will more than make up for it

Tis not true. His projections for Romero and Billingsley are very friendly. Lester wasn't injured last season. He was dominant: 15-8, 3.41 ERA, 225 K. I like the trade a lot.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ May 2, 2010 -> 10:01 PM)
Tis not true. His projections for Romero and Billingsley are very friendly. Lester wasn't injured last season. He was dominant: 15-8, 3.41 ERA, 225 K. I like the trade a lot.

I was looking at the wrong year. My bad. I still gave Lester a glowing 2010 total.

The Romero and Billingsley stats aren't THAT "friendly." Both totals are very possible; and yes, Billingsley has been better than Lester in the recent past.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 2, 2010 -> 09:22 PM)
I was looking at the wrong year. My bad. I still gave Lester a glowing 2010 total.

The Romero and Billingsley stats aren't THAT "friendly." Both totals are very possible; and yes, Billingsley has been better than Lester in the recent past.

In 2008, Billingsley & Lester had very similar numbers, except that Billingsley had way more Ks, so he was a bit better. Lester kept it up in 2009 and improved his K totals, while post all-star break, Billingsley was 3-7 with a 5.20 ERA & 1.48 WHIP. He wasn't even chosen to start any of 7 postseason games, and he hasn't shown enough this year to say he has turned it around.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 2, 2010 -> 09:22 PM)

Outside of the fact I think there's no chance Romero reaches 16 wins, yes those lines are possible. But it's also possible each go 12 wins, 4.00 ERA, 170 K (which would be improvements over their 2009 seasons). Lester's a sure bet for 15 wins, 3.50 ERA, 200 K. I like Billingsley a lot too, but you gotta take the surefire ace, imo.

• 2 weeks later...

I received a trade offer which I am pretty sure is a damn good offer but I have a crush on my top 3 pitchers (even top 4 or 5)

Adam Lind, Brian McCann and Clay Bucholz for Jon Lester, Denard Span and Kevin Gregg - Is Brian McCann's vision problems too scary to hit accept?

Should I hit accept with an amazing group of starters but with a fringe offense?

Chris Snyder

Billy Butler

Chase Utley

Martin Prado

Cliff Pennington

Justin Upton

Nick Markakis

Denard Span

Franklin Gutierrez

Austin Jackson

DL Kurk Suzuki

CC Sabathia

Chris Carpenter

Jon Lester

Shawn Marcum

Wade Davis

Max Scherzer

Broxton, K-Rod, Rafael Soriano, Rauch, Gregg

Edited by Chi Town Sox

Is Brian McCann's vision problems too scary to hit accept?

I thought that his glasses cleared that up last year.

Adam Lind, Brian McCann and Clay Buchholz for Jon Lester, Denard Span and Kevin Gregg

You'd get 2 guys who are down right now (Lind, McCann) for essentially one guy (Lester). Span and Gregg (who is decent so far) are throw-ins and Buchholz is looking like a decent young pitcher.

If you can handle waiting for Lind and McCann rebound and don't mind losing Lester (I might with your lack of depth at SP), then it's a decent trade for you.

If I were you, I'd try to deal Austin Jackson and Gregg for McCann and Buchholz straight up in order to increase your SP depth and get a catcher.

I assume that he's in love with Lester, though and may not want to substitute.

• 5 weeks later...

Got this trade offered to me

I would get: Chris Young (Diamondbacks), Ricky Romero, Tim Lincecum

He gets: Justin Upton, Chris Carpenter

My outfield currently is Upton, Lind, Markakis, Austin Jackson, Willingham

My starting pitching is Carpenter, Sabathia, Marcum, Bucholz, Slowey, Wade Davis, Vazquez, Scott Baker

I know Upton is struggling but noone knows if Chris Young keeps it up this year (average is down now to about .270) but getting Romero and Lincecum for Carpenter is almost highway murder (if Tim gets back to normal)

What does everyone think?

• 2 weeks later...

I really need HRs & RBIs, so a month ago I traded away Howie Kendrick & Johan Santana for Dan Uggla. I probably gave up a bit too much, but I really needed the power and my rotation is still stacked. Since I made the trade, Kendrick has 5 HRs and 27 RBIs, while Uggla has 3 HRs and 11 RBIs. I'm still in first place, but what the f***?????

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jun 20, 2010 -> 10:11 AM)
I really need HRs & RBIs, so a month ago I traded away Howie Kendrick & Johan Santana for Dan Uggla. I probably gave up a bit too much, but I really needed the power and my rotation is still stacked. Since I made the trade, Kendrick has 5 HRs and 27 RBIs, while Uggla has 3 HRs and 11 RBIs. I'm still in first place, but what the f***?????

Ya probably too much to give for what you are getting, if it makes you feel a little better, remember the number 105. The most games Kendrick has played in a year in his career

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jun 11, 2010 -> 12:06 PM)
Got this trade offered to me

I would get: Chris Young (Diamondbacks), Ricky Romero, Tim Lincecum

He gets: Justin Upton, Chris Carpenter

My outfield currently is Upton, Lind, Markakis, Austin Jackson, Willingham

My starting pitching is Carpenter, Sabathia, Marcum, Bucholz, Slowey, Wade Davis, Vazquez, Scott Baker

I know Upton is struggling but noone knows if Chris Young keeps it up this year (average is down now to about .270) but getting Romero and Lincecum for Carpenter is almost highway murder (if Tim gets back to normal)

What does everyone think?

I know that this is a few weeks late, but that's a good offer. I was offered Carpenter for Wandy Rodriguez straight up in the offseason and Lincecum is much better than that by himself.