5/2 Games

Ozzie Ball

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 3, 2010 -> 03:16 AM)
Winston-Salem's offense is teh awesome. Puts up a 14 spot, seems like they put up double digits a few times in the past week.

Justin Greene making me take notice.

Greene needs a promotion. He's clearly too good for this level and is quite old already.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 2, 2010 -> 09:23 PM)
Greene needs a promotion. He's clearly too good for this level and is quite old already.

Yeah, at 24 he'd be a little more appropriate at AA. If he could put up solid numbers there at 24, I'd start to REALLY take notice.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ May 2, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)
Not so good from Leesman

5 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 3 BB, SO.

Leesman had a really tough 1st inning... giving up all 4 runs... and 4 of the 6 hits he gave up.

Pitched pretty well the next 4 innings though... 0 runs on 2 hits.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2010 -> 08:13 PM)
You really had to figure he would bounce back. Most of those numbers were from one bad start.

Not to mention posters freaking out about trading him/no pitcher behind Freddy after that one start. Hudson will be fine. His K rate just improved even more (which was already stellar) after this start.

QUOTE (CSF @ May 2, 2010 -> 01:26 PM)
Hudson's line:

7 IP, 4 hits, 0 ER, 2 BB, 10 K's.

That'll work.

This is exactly why i wasn't worried about him after a couple bad starts. Some posters here were acting like the sky was falling but failed to realize that baseball at times is a game of pure luck. Someone can smash a line drive but get unlucky and hit it right at someone, or a pitcher can throw a great pitch and the batter gets lucky and runs into it, it happens all the time, the only way to account for all the luck in baseball is by just waiting for everything to even out over time. The BABIP against him was horrific the first few games, that was bound to regress to the mean as were the high number of HR's against him etc... It just takes a little patience sometimes, he didn't forget how to pitch over the winter.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 2, 2010 -> 08:13 PM)
You really had to figure he would bounce back. Most of those numbers were from one bad start.

To be fair, it was mostly from 2 starts. 2 isn't quite to the point of worry, but maybe 'concern.' Either way, all is well after tonight.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 2, 2010 -> 09:29 PM)
Yeah, at 24 he'd be a little more appropriate at AA. If he could put up solid numbers there at 24, I'd start to REALLY take notice.

Yeah that is one of my big rules for excitement over a prospect: age relative to league. He is way too old for A-ball, so I really don't put stock in his numbers.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 3, 2010 -> 10:03 AM)
Yeah that is one of my big rules for excitement over a prospect: age relative to league. He is way too old for A-ball, so I really don't put stock in his numbers.

Well its not on and off. At 24, his numbers mean X, at 23 they might mean X+1, etc. They aren't meaningless, they just don't inspire quite as much as if he was 22.

Keep in mind too, he was a walk-on at a small college, so he was drafted late in terms of position and age. Guys like that, I like to see challenged, to see if he's for real. I'd love to see him in AA.