Under The Radar Bats

Marty34

Would anyone be interested in Nate Mclouth, hes recovering from a concussion right now but has the speed on defense and decent power from left side. Might be a cheaper option then some of the other big names mentioned, I havent heard anything just wondering if he is a name that might come up as under the radar.

QUOTE (jaxsoxfan @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 12:32 PM)
Would anyone be interested in Nate Mclouth, hes recovering from a concussion right now but has the speed on defense and decent power from left side. Might be a cheaper option then some of the other big names mentioned, I havent heard anything just wondering if he is a name that might come up as under the radar.

He is a poor defender and really isnt that great of an offensive player either, I guess if Atlanta was literally giving him away Id be ok but besides that not much of a fan.

McLouth isn't a poor defender. Never deserved the GG, but he can get the job done in CF but would be more than adequate in RF, a lot better than Quentin. Problem is, he's forgotten how to hit.

Like you said though, if the Braves were just giving him away, I'd have no problem with bringing him and seeing if he can learn how to hit again.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
McLouth isn't a poor defender. Never deserved the GG, but he can get the job done in CF but would be more than adequate in RF, a lot better than Quentin. Problem is, he's forgotten how to hit.

Like you said though, if the Braves were just giving him away, I'd have no problem with bringing him and seeing if he can learn how to hit again.

McLouth's just not a center fielder.

What's encouraging about McLouth is that his batted ball rates are in line with what they were last year, except he's raised the infield fly ball percentage, which is extremely dreaded, as you can imagine. However, that shouldn't be a reason why he's hitting .176. It just looks like he's not making any solid contact. When he hits line drives, he's hitting .684 on them, which is below league average, but not totally weird. However, he's hitting .133 on grounders and .179 on fly balls. Those are extremely low rates. He has no extra base hit on a ground ball, which means he must not be hitting the ball with a lot of authority.

McLouth makes $6.5 million next year with an option for 2012 for $11 million.

If they're just going to give them away, why not.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)

So could Griffey, that doesn't mean he's a CF. Career -9.4 UZR/150 in CF, where he's spent most of his time. He is definitely a very poor defensive CF

He's not as bad a hitter as he's been this year, but I don't think he's worth taking a flyer on. Even if his BABIP evened out and got back to his career norms, he's due to make 6.5 million next year with a team option for 10.65 in 2012, and I'm not sure that he's worth it.

The only way I'd really consider it is if Linebrink were involved, and even then, I don't think I'd do it.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (Felix @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 01:38 PM)
So could Griffey, that doesn't mean he's a CF. Career -9.4 UZR/150 in CF, where he's spent most of his time. He is definitely a very poor defensive CF

He's not as bad a hitter as he's been this year, but I don't think he's worth taking a flyer on. Even if his BABIP evened out and got back to his career norms, he's due to make 6.5 million next year with a team option for 10.65 in 2012, and I'm not sure that he's worth it.

The only way I'd really consider it is if Linebrink were involved, and even then, I don't think I'd do it.

That's only after 2002 though, where his legs were pretty much done.

Griffey was a great CF in his prime, at least Total Zone says so.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)

The problem is he refused to leave CF when he was no longer capable of playing it anymore.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)

Well yeah. In his prime, Griffey was an awesome CF. In his prime, he was also an awesome player. I was talking about him in his golden girl years.

The UZR/150 I posted was for McLouth, not Griffey. Apologies if I wasn't clear about that, but the point stands. McLouth is an awful defensive CF.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 11, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
The problem is he refused to leave CF when he was no longer capable of playing it anymore.

When you're praised as one of the best for that long, your ego gets the best of you. Just like how Jermaine Dye still thinks it's 2000 and he just won the gold glove or something.