Sox interested in Jose Bautista

WhiteSoxfan1986

Via Rotoworld

Tigers, Braves, White Sox now in on Bautista

Bautista

Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Tigers, Braves and White Sox have also expressed interest in Jose Bautista.

The major league home run leader has also drawn interest from the Giants and other teams could join in as the July 31 trade deadline nears. Bautista has launched 26 dingers and collected 64 RBI this season, but his .238 batting average and .354 on-base percentage are rather uninspiring. Still, he would be a nice addition to any contending club. Jul. 21 - 5:53 pm et

Please don't make this move KW.

The asking price will be a lot more than Torres, though.

I don't see this happening, simply because I can't remember KW EVER reaching on an overachieving player at his optimum value (thus overpaying)...certainly not at midseason.

Now you can say that he paid a high price in the original Swisher trade, but that wasn't overpaying based on his career results and his post-Sox career with the Yankees, and Gio has developed into an even more effective starter than many imagined (quite a few had him pegged as a reliever or 5th starter at best).

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 08:00 AM)
Isn't he right handed? .238 BA?

I wouldn't even give them Torres. Maybe Jeff Marquez is all they would get.

Yes.

I think it might have just been an inquiry and gaging the market.

Jose Bautista is a pretty good hitter. I posted it in the catch-all, but he's hit 36 homers in his past 502 plate appearances. You just don't give up any potentially great prospects for him, like Hudson, Flowers, or Viciedo. Danks2, Morel, Torres, or virtually any players below AA...sure, why the hell not.

Jose Bautista is not a good hitter he has a career line of .238/.333/.422/.756 and from MLB trade rumors

"Buster Olney reported today that the Blue Jays are demanding elite young players for Bautista, who leads the major leagues with 26 home runs. The right fielder-third baseman has just less than $1MM remaining on his contract this year, though he'll get a substantial raise through arbitration in 2011, his last season before hitting free agency."

Bautista would be a terrible fit and his first half power is one of the biggest flukes in baseball this season. No thanks.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 11:39 AM)
Jose Bautista is not a good hitter he has a career line of .238/.333/.422/.756 and from MLB trade rumors

"Buster Olney reported today that the Blue Jays are demanding elite young players for Bautista, who leads the major leagues with 26 home runs. The right fielder-third baseman has just less than $1MM remaining on his contract this year, though he'll get a substantial raise through arbitration in 2011, his last season before hitting free agency."

Bautista would be a terrible fit and his first half power is one of the biggest flukes in baseball this season. No thanks.

It might be a fluke, but he also had a huge end to last year as well as his big first half. Maybe he just figured it out?

EDIT: He put up a .944 OPS last September, including 10 HR's. So whatever you want to call his power surge, it dates back to last year.

Edited by SoxnGiants

His BABIP is at .226 (compared to an admittedly low .273 career mark) and his K rate is about where it usually is (slightly better even), so I wouldn't be shocked to see his .238 average rise. However, even a move to the cell won't help maintain his 19% HR/FB rate. If we could get him cheap enough, then he's definitely better than the rotating monster, but I don't want to give up any real prospects for him.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
His BABIP is at .226 (compared to an admittedly low .273 career mark) and his K rate is about where it usually is (slightly better even), so I wouldn't be shocked to see his .238 average rise. However, even a move to the cell won't help maintain his 19% HR/FB rate. If we could get him cheap enough, then he's definitely better than the rotating monster, but I don't want to give up any real prospects for him.

His FB % is 52.7, his BABIP shouldn't be anything other than terrible.