Fishing Thread

Any fisherman here on SoxTalk?

I haven't been able to go out as much as I'd like this year, but we just got a boat (old 15 foot Lund boat, fiberglass, with a new 25hp Mercury outboard) that I've been working on and I plan on hitting the Rock River hard for catfish soon. Been hitting up a couple local lakes but haven't had much luck other than a ton of bluegill and white bass.

Was in Myrtle Beach on vacation last week and caught a ton of pinfish, which are basically ocean bluegill. But I also caught a small blacktip shark which was really cool.

About time we had a fishing thread. I don't go a whole lot, but I do go to a lot of local lakes looking for bass. I'll probably head out to Lake Shabbona in the next few days.

If anybody wants to have a really good time, I recommend salmon fishing on Lake Michigan. During the fall you can catch them off shore.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
About time we had a fishing thread. I don't go a whole lot, but I do go to a lot of local lakes looking for bass. I'll probably head out to Lake Shabbona in the next few days.

If anybody wants to have a really good time, I recommend salmon fishing on Lake Michigan. During the fall you can catch them off shore.

Ever go powerlining for coho in the spring?

Haven't been in about 4-5 years, but prior to that, it was a tradition for my uncle and I when I was a kid. Always went to Michigan or Ohio to fish with my uncle and his friends. I know how to fish, but have not done so in years, so it'll probably be like riding a bike again. I can name a few lakes I've personally liked to fish in.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 04:31 PM)
Haven't been in about 4-5 years, but prior to that, it was a tradition for my uncle and I when I was a kid. Always went to Michigan or Ohio to fish with my uncle and his friends. I know how to fish, but have not done so in years, so it'll probably be like riding a bike again. I can name a few lakes I've personally liked to fish in.

Please share. And what did you fish for?

Used to fish a lot as a kid. Did a lot of fishing in northern wisco, generally for Musky.

Also BWCA/Quetico, which has the most amazing freshwater fishing you can imagine, in terms of how easy it is. You can plunk just about any lure down and get a fish in short order. BWCA and Quetico combine to be about 5 million acres of roadless wilderness, covered by thousands of lakes that see no motor boat traffic of any kind. So the fishing pressure is very low. You can go for Northern Pike (if you want lunkers), Walleye (best eating freshwater fish), largemouth, smallmouth, lake trout in deep water, a whole variety of pan fish and chubs, and even obscure stuff like sturgeon and paddle fish.

In Quetico I once found a little bay that had the most absurd largemouth bass population I've ever seen. Went there two different years, both times caught a stringer full of largemouth in the 7 to 10 pound range, which is just ridiculous. Also caught a 30+ pound northern once, lots of walleye, a couple nice lakers... the list goes on.

When I can get out, I'm primarily a Musky guy now. I have a 1995 16ft aluminum Spectrum fishing boat with a 40hp Force on it. My home lake is the Fox Chain. I grew up as a Bass kid/guy, but outgrew that when I got my first Musky. Been targeting them ever since. Not much luck, but it's about the hunt and being on the water.

I used to fish Lake Michigan with my wife's uncle, but he had a stroke and the boat hasn't been in since. We're hoping he gets it in next year. Biggest out there was a 25Lb Salmon and a 17lb Lake Trout. I had another 25# Salmon to the net, but my net man screwed it up and we lost her. What a fight.

I would like to take a trip to Northern Wisco, but never get around to it. Too much going on, I guess.

I'll take the kids out to the local lakes/ponds and cast for Bass.

Edited by SAVVY18

My dad and I have a boat out in Monroe harbor. I think over the last 2-3 years, we've spent DAYS of collective time trying to catch salmon out in the lake, and have caught exactly one. We've tried to research the best times, the best places, the best lures, etc, but no luck. Not sure what the issue is.

I used to fish the headwaters of the Wisconsin river, Lac Vieuw Desert, every summer as a kid up until I went to college. Unfortunately my stepdad got rid of his boat and got into other things like RV-ing and Motorcycles, so it was discontinued for the time being. However, we have been talking about it for the past two years, and i am pretty sure it is going to be coming back around, especially when my baby boy is old enough to learn how to fish.

Musky, Pike, Bass were the fish of preference for us. We tried our damndest for walleye but just couldnt get it going. Lots of panfish like perch and crappie were caught in that lake too by us.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 09:21 AM)
My dad and I have a boat out in Monroe harbor. I think over the last 2-3 years, we've spent DAYS of collective time trying to catch salmon out in the lake, and have caught exactly one. We've tried to research the best times, the best places, the best lures, etc, but no luck. Not sure what the issue is.

Were you trolling? During late September/early October, you can catch them off shore using spoons or salmon eggs.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)

Ever power line for coho in the spring?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 12:00 AM)
I've been watching River Monsters and all these other monster fish shows and all I can think about is getting out on the Rock River to try and catch some monster catfish.

Watched that last night too - the one with the Goonch Catfish in India. The show is really pretty stupid, but its cool to see the big fish he catches. I could care less about his laughable theories and excuses to go fishing.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:02 AM)
I've only been fishing a handful of times in my life, but I really like it. The only problem is that I'm just a terrible fisherman. I guess it has more to do with luck than any particular skill, as I do the exact same thing as the person/people I'm with, but I will never catch anything.

Have to know what to cast and where to cast it. I actually love playing guide when I go on canoeing trips now, I don't even do the fishing - I just put someone in the front of the boat who wants to fish, and I show them what to put on the line, take them to a good spot, and show them where and how to cast it. You have to know how to "read" lakes and rivers to find the best spots for what you are looking to catch.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
Have to know what to cast and where to cast it. I actually love playing guide when I go on canoeing trips now, I don't even do the fishing - I just put someone in the front of the boat who wants to fish, and I show them what to put on the line, take them to a good spot, and show them where and how to cast it. You have to know how to "read" lakes and rivers to find the best spots for what you are looking to catch.

No, I mean I'll be fishing off of the same dock as someone else. We'll be using the same bait/lure/weights and cast our lines about five feet apart. The other person will catch fish all day, and I'll maybe get lucky with one.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 02:07 PM)
No, I mean I'll be fishing off of the same dock as someone else. We'll be using the same bait/lure/weights and cast our lines about five feet apart. The other person will catch fish all day, and I'll maybe get lucky with one.

Could be the way you are reeling it in, or how deep you let it drop before you reel.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 02:07 PM)

It only works when you throw it into water dude. I think thats your problem.

That remninds me of this drunk homeless guy by my grandparents house that fishes all the time...in the alley. He really thinks that he is fishing its hilarious. He does all the motions and reels, he is great.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)
Could be the way you are reeling it in, or how deep you let it drop before you reel.

I have even had people cast for me. The vast majority of the fish I catch are on other people's reels while they're off taking a whiz or something. I'm just a very unlucky fisherman.