Why is The Cell pointed South-East?

HuskyCaucasian

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:28 PM)
I'm sure this has been answered before: Why is US Cellular Field pointed SE instead of N or NE towards the skyline of Chicago?

There's probably a logistical reason, but I've never read it.

Because the Sox organization likes making bone-headed decisions.

I'm sure this has been answered before: Why is US Cellular Field pointed SE instead of N or NE towards the skyline of Chicago?

because the Robert Taylor Homes skyline >>> downtown Chicago's skyline

I'm pretty certain that stadiums have to point a certain way due to where the sun goes down?

It'd be pointed due-north, which doesn't seem like a big deal, but there had to be some legit reason.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:33 PM)
I'm pretty certain that stadiums have to point a certain way due to where the sun goes down. If it were pointed at the city, the sun setting would be in batter's eyes.

Not true. The batter's box would be in our current RF.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 01:28 PM)

So the address is still 35th and Shields.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:40 PM)
I remember reading somewhere that it was because JR wanted to maintain the main entrance/address/home plate being right at the corner of 35th and Shields for some historical or nostalgic purpose.

What a moron.

I have read that it was done in order to not have all of the fans exiting the park and walking right into the projects, which is what was there for the most part in the late 80's early 90s when the park was being planned. Part of the decision certainly may have been a "nostalgia" issue, but I think fan safety was the other consideration.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:42 PM)
What a moron.

At the time the overwhelming support was for the current configuration. The main disagreement was not sinking the stadium thus giving the upper deck the appreance of a lower rise than it actually had. If you ever see a picture of the new joint going up next to the old joint you could see where the problems were.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:40 PM)
http://www.flyingsock.com/OldComiskey/Progress.htm

Apparently, it was also a money stipulation.

The Old Comiskey "retro" look was never a consideration until 1988 after funding legislation required the park be built at 35th and Shields. Reinsdorf's front office refused any design revisions which might have delayed the park's 1991 opening.

ummm..... assuming it's true, I never knew that New Comiskey was designed for Addison and then "wedged" into the site south of the old park.

I assume that is why the ramps are on the outside of the park?

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:54 PM)
Na. I really like The Cell. I've never had a problem with it being "vanilla" or "not quirky enough". I've loved it since the day it was opened.

You obviously don't travel much to see other stadiums.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 30, 2010 -> 12:55 PM)
You obviously don't travel much to see other stadiums.
Oh, dont get me wrong. There are some SPECTACULAR fields around the country. I absolutely LOVE Coors Field, been there...Love it.

But, in the end, you're there to watch a game, not marvel at the park. Beautiful and spectacular parks only draw for short period of time if the team is bad.