Colby Rasmus should be on the White Sox radar

macsandz

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)
My point being Danks is need on the White Sox pitching staff. If trading a pitcher is a must, trade someone else. Buerhle for sentimental reasons is the guy who pitches opening day. Peavy when healthy is probably the best pitcher of the bunch but will he ever be healthy again? Danks is the best pitcher on the Sox roster. You don't trade the best pitcher on your roster if you are trying to win. You can upgrade your offense with 2nd or 3rd tier FAs like KW did in 2005 and win that way. If the Sox don't bring Konerko back, they are going to have some money to spend.

Oh come on, 2nd and 3rd tier FA's as the solution to the offense? In 2005, frankly, we got lucky with a giant score on a 2nd tier FA right fielder coming off of several years of injuries. While that might work again...you're flat out not going to convince me you'd be happy about that.

You want some examples of 2nd and 3rd tier FA's right now? Andruw Jones, AJ Pierzynski, etc. The same type of guys that we're letting go, and the same level of guys that would set off the "the Sox are always cheap, look at the crappy 2nd and 3rd tier FA's they signed to try to plug their offensive holes!" people.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 08:44 AM)
Oh come on, 2nd and 3rd tier FA's as the solution to the offense? In 2005, frankly, we got lucky with a giant score on a 2nd tier FA right fielder coming off of several years of injuries. While that might work again...you're flat out not going to convince me you'd be happy about that.

You want some examples of 2nd and 3rd tier FA's right now? Andruw Jones, AJ Pierzynski, etc. The same type of guys that we're letting go, and the same level of guys that would set off the "the Sox are always cheap, look at the crappy 2nd and 3rd tier FA's they signed to try to plug their offensive holes!" people.

Oh come on back to you. Since when have the Sox signed a top line offensive free agent from another team? I'll answer it, Albert Belle. How did that work out? I'll answer that, not so good because the pitching staff wasn't so hot, they signed Jaime Navarro. Pitching wins in real baseball. Fantasy, go for the offense. Besides, do you really thing the Sox are going to win a bidding war for the top guys?

There are plenty of second tier guys who may be able to help you. Derrick Lee wasn't very good in 2010 and isn't what he used to be, but everyone said the same thing about Konerko, and Lee had a thumb injury in 2010. He will be available for a decent price both in dollars and years and Ozzie loves him from the Marlin days. He's a possibilty. Jason Kubel might not be brought back to Minnesota because their payroll is jumping. Add those 2, with improvement from Beckham, and bring AJ back at a slightly reduced rate. Obviously its just speculation with Kubel, but there have been several reports he could be bought out, although I find it hard to believe they wouldn't exercise the $5.5 million on him.

JD, AJP, Thome coming off injury all were 2nd or 3rd tier guys. Trading away your best pitcher with 2 years left at still a bargain rate considering most of this board thought Javy Vazquez as a 5th starter and an ERA hovering over 4.50 was fairly compensated at $11 million, is beyond stupid.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 08:59 AM)
Oh come on back to you. Since when have the Sox signed a top line offensive free agent from another team? I'll answer it, Albert Belle. How did that work out? I'll answer that, not so good because the pitching staff wasn't so hot, they signed Jaime Navarro. Pitching wins in real baseball. Fantasy, go for the offense. Besides, do you really thing the Sox are going to win a bidding war for the top guys?

There are plenty of second tier guys who may be able to help you. Derrick Lee wasn't very good in 2010 and isn't what he used to be, but everyone said the same thing about Konerko, and Lee had a thumb injury in 2010. He will be available for a decent price both in dollars and years and Ozzie loves him from the Marlin days. He's a possibilty. Jason Kubel might not be brought back to Minnesota because their payroll is jumping. Add those 2, with improvement from Beckham, and bring AJ back at a slightly reduced rate. Obviously its just speculation with Kubel, but there have been several reports he could be bought out, although I find it hard to believe they wouldn't exercise the $5.5 million on him.

JD, AJP, Thome coming off injury all were 2nd or 3rd tier guys. Trading away your best pitcher with 2 years left at still a bargain rate considering most of this board thought Javy Vazquez as a 5th starter and an ERA hovering over 4.50 was fairly compensated at $11 million, is beyond stupid.

ya know, id be on board with Lee and Kubel but id much rather get one top free agent (Konerko, Dunn, Werth, LaRoach,or Beltre) and trade danks for another top level bat. I like Sale in the rotation.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 18, 2010 -> 07:39 PM)
False. That would be Adrian Gonzalez. But I get where you're coming from.

Really, you don't think we can come up with others who are at least pre-arb? Evan Longoria and his $950k salary this year? David Price and his $1.8 million? Joey Votto for $525k?