Net Neutrality

bmags

Just as I was starting to feel a little less cynical, the FCC shows that they are good for nothing beside being really great prudes.

Sigh. what the hell is this:

Further, we recognize that there have been meaningful recent moves toward openness, including the introduction of open operating systems like Android. In addition, we anticipate soon seeing the effects on the market of the openness conditions we imposed on mobile providers that operate on upper 700 MHz C-Block spectrum, which includes Verizon Wireless, one of the largest mobile wireless carriers in the U.S.

In light of these considerations, we conclude it is appropriate to take measured steps at this time to protect the openness of the Internet when accessed through mobile broadband

soooo because google android is an open platform that means ... you won't regulate wireless access to prevent picking and choosing from the big companies? Quality argument. And you seem so hip showing that you know what Android is!

I had a much much more graphic subtitle that featured how much *********** **** you could hold in your **** while writing a law, but i spared you all.

analysis here:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/21/verizon-g...net-neutrality/

and here

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/12/21/how-t...c-failed-t.html

and here

http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/12/fcc-order/

In a closely watched vote, the Federal Communications Commission approved compromise net neutrality rules Tuesday that would forbid the nation’s largest cable and DSL internet service providers from blocking or slowing online services, while leaving wireless companies with much more latitude.

The wireless punt is so f***ing stupid.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 09:58 PM)
Call me crazy, but I dont care if mobile is "neutral" yet. I'm more worried about wired, where MOST Americans get the internet. And the new FCC reules do, in many ways, create net neutrality for wired networks.

but what about those in rural areas?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 03:58 PM)
Call me crazy, but I dont care if mobile is "neutral" yet. I'm more worried about wired, where MOST Americans get the internet. And the new FCC reules do, in many ways, create net neutrality for wired networks.

This is exactly what the wireless carriers were hoping people would say and how they would feel, including those who passed it for them.

In 5 years, the mention of wired networks will have people scratching their heads...because they're becoming less and less necessary, and in 10 years time, they almost won't exist...but it doesn't matter so long as they have these rules backing them.

And in the mean time, there are a lot of people who's only means of accessing the internet via broadband is via wireless technologies...

QUOTE (lostfan @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
Y2HH I see people saying that but I don't see myself giving up my wired connection here anytime soon. Will I be able to get speeds of 20 mpbs? If not then I'll stay with what I got.

When real 4G comes out, not the fake baked crap that is being sold as 4G, 100mbs to the mobile device and a 1g to the fixed wireless target.

Business's will continue to use a fiber based connection for a while as bandwidth explodes. But Y2HH is on the money on broadband. Its too cost prohibitive to provision that last mile. You have either an aging cable infrastructure or copper infrastructure that provisions that last mile. Now we are using large compression algorithms to overcompensate for a crappy last leg. Triple play services ( voice, video, and internet ) have pushed the limit. A non-physical last mile will provide easy upgrades, and quick provisioning to an area. Everything that we dont see from broadband today.

Edited by southsideirish71

Good point on 4G, but when is that actually going to happen?

that's going to confuse the hell out of everyone right now who thinks all this boosted 3G stuff they're advertising is actually 4G. Real 4G is going to be like an order of magnitude faster.

Edited by lostfan