2011 Films Thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 03:35 PM)
The Sound of Music :P

I don't think I've ever actually seen it, unless it was a long time ago.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 03:41 PM)
The Rocketeer!

I definitely liked that movie as a kid. Haven't seen it in probably 15 years, though.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
See, I certainly don't think it's terrible. It wasn't great, but it was a decent movie.

i think it violates his "movie must be 100 percent original" code

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 04:06 PM)
As I recall, that's what it was. Looking back at the cast of the Rocketeer, it had more famous people than I would think. It seemed pretty cheaply made from how I remember it.

How did you feel about Valkyrie?

I tried to watch it a few times on cable, but I could never just get interested in it. Some movies I have to be in the right frame of mind for. It took me forever to watch The Last Samurai, and I really enjoyed it, I just wasnt in the mood for it prior.

Inglorious Basterds

Raiders of the Lost Ark

IJ and the Last Crusade

Saving Private Ryan

The Rocketeer

are some of my favorite movies with Nazis featured as bad guys.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 03:52 PM)
See, I certainly don't think it's terrible. It wasn't great, but it was a decent movie.

Terrible might be an exaggeration, but I didn't find it enjoyable. Putting aside the silly accent issue, it just wasn't well-written. It's a movie that's difficult because you know the ending (he doesn't succeed), but it lacked any sort of suspense or momentum to get you there. The entire thing was just "meh" with the added distraction of Tom Cruise with an eye patch.

After a cursory search on Google, some other movies I really liked:

The Great Escape

Kelly's Heroes

The Dirty Dozen

Patton

Marathon Man (Kind of funny that Laurence Olivier played a guy roughly based on Josef Mengele and the man hunting him in another movie)

Band Of Brothers

Downfall (Der Untergang as it's a German movie) - This one is actually a really good movie. It portrays the very end of Hitler's life and how pathetic he had become by that point, along with some other key officials both good and bad. It's fun to watch Hitler, Goebbels, etc. realize they're whole existence was a failure and end themselves. I'd highly recommend this to any history or film buff.

A couple more I have to see still, but know I'll like:

The Big Red One

The Guns Of Navarone

To Hell And Back

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 06:25 PM)
yea im starting to avoid the dark knight spoilers. i want to enjoy the movie, and i dont want to know whats happening when it happens

Tough to avoid it when people post giant pictures in this thread *cough*

maybe we can come to some sort of thread agreement. how about this:

if it is some sort of promotional picture, poster, trailer, etc, then it is free game, everyone is free to post.

if it is paparrazzi, behind the scenes pictures, bootleg trailers, then a link can be provided, but no pasting or embedding of videos.

and not just for TDKR, but going forward. sound good for everyone?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 06:58 PM)
I say just make a Batman thread. As it gets closer, there are going to be more and more pictures and videos. It should be enough to necessitate a thread.

that is going to happen regardless. But i do agree that its tough to go through this thread and not see a spoiler or picture for an upcoming film. with social media providing these things at instantaneous speeds, maybe we should reign ourselves in a bit and try and keep it spoiler free as possible.

and i admit, i have posted pictures, videos and spoilers previously.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 07:51 PM)
maybe we can come to some sort of thread agreement. how about this:

if it is some sort of promotional picture, poster, trailer, etc, then it is free game, everyone is free to post.

if it is paparrazzi, behind the scenes pictures, bootleg trailers, then a link can be provided, but no pasting or embedding of videos.

and not just for TDKR, but going forward. sound good for everyone?

Good plan

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 07:06 PM)
that is going to happen regardless. But i do agree that its tough to go through this thread and not see a spoiler or picture for an upcoming film. with social media providing these things at instantaneous speeds, maybe we should reign ourselves in a bit and try and keep it spoiler free as possible.

and i admit, i have posted pictures, videos and spoilers previously.

What other movies get more than maybe one or two advance pictures posted? I can't think of any.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 07:09 PM)
What other movies get more than maybe one or two advance pictures posted? I can't think of any.

it happened a few times with captain america and thor, im sure the avengers is going to have a lot of leaks, as is the man of steel.

its not much to ask MM, just a courtesy. and you rarely(if ever) post stuff like that anyways, so it shouldnt concern you too much anyways

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 07:42 PM)
it happened a few times with captain america and thor, im sure the avengers is going to have a lot of leaks, as is the man of steel.

its not much to ask MM, just a courtesy. and you rarely(if ever) post stuff like that anyways, so it shouldnt concern you too much anyways

Oh no, I don't care at all. I was just saying that it'd probably be a wasted thread.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 16, 2011 -> 06:25 PM)
yea im starting to avoid the dark knight spoilers. i want to enjoy the movie, and i dont want to know whats happening when it happens

Yeah, I'm done with them. I want to go in mostly clueless.