*Official* Work Out Thread

maggsmaggs

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 02:41 PM)
Monsanto's website states,

"There is no need for, or value in testing the safety of GM foods in humans. So long as the introduced protein is determined safe, food from GM crops determined to be substantially equivalent is not expected to pose any health risks. Further, it is impossible to design a long-term safety test in humans, which would require, for example, intake of large amounts of a particular GM product over a very large portion of the human life span. There is simply no practical way to learn anything via human studies of whole foods. This is why no existing food--conventional or GM--or food ingredient/additive has been subjected to this type of testing."

Can you give us a plausible means of harm?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 07:41 AM)
Monsanto's website states,

"There is no need for, or value in testing the safety of GM foods in humans. So long as the introduced protein is determined safe, food from GM crops determined to be substantially equivalent is not expected to pose any health risks. Further, it is impossible to design a long-term safety test in humans, which would require, for example, intake of large amounts of a particular GM product over a very large portion of the human life span. There is simply no practical way to learn anything via human studies of whole foods. This is why no existing food--conventional or GM--or food ingredient/additive has been subjected to this type of testing."

Well, that seems like a fair point to me.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:21 AM)
Well, that seems like a fair point to me.

so we're supposed to just force it down the american publics' throat, saying "we don't know what long term effects it could have" and just wait and see what happens? how many times throughout history have practices that were considered "SAFE AND BENEFICIAL" at the time, been proven to be the exact opposite? Leeching comes to mind...

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:33 AM)
so we're supposed to just force it down the american publics' throat, saying "we don't know what long term effects it could have" and just wait and see what happens? how many times throughout history have practices that were considered "SAFE AND BENEFICIAL" at the time, been proven to be the exact opposite? Leeching comes to mind...

That is precisely what has been done with all the other foods you eat...;)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 02:20 PM)
No, now. Why do you think people are getting all these cancers and what not? It is because there were no long term studies done.

:unsure:

THAT'S exactly my point! Isn't that proof enough that we should be testing the food we eat!?

Ran full court for about 2.5 hours today...we play every saturday morning. Such a huge difference if I am in the middle of my P90X workouts or if I am not. Tons and tons of more stamina.

Tried that Gatorade "Prime" stuff...seemed like it gave me a bit of a boost.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 01:42 PM)
Ran full court for about 2.5 hours today...we play every saturday morning. Such a huge difference if I am in the middle of my P90X workouts or if I am not. Tons and tons of more stamina.

It really pisses me off that I can't play competitive basketball anymore. At any given moment, my kneecap could pop out and I'm on the shelf for 4-6 weeks.

In other news, I'm going to be doing 2-a-day workouts for the next few days. Working 14+ hours a day really limits your ability to do much of anything, so I have to take advantage of days off.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 12:42 PM)

i mean... is it anything other than sugar and water? gatorade tends to make crap products, but i haven't tried the prime before.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 04:44 PM)
i mean... is it anything other than sugar and water? gatorade tends to make crap products, but i haven't tried the prime before.

It's a carb product, yes. I wouldn't advocate supplemental carbs for anyone except elite athletes or those on carb cycling diets.

Food carbs = good if you want fuel though :) I'm just not big on wasting carbs on things that don't provide any satiety.

Oh for the love of god, Reddy...enough of the preaching.

You f***ers go run full court with kids 10-15 years younger than you for 150 minutes in 95 degree heat and then tell me what to drink.

It's sodium and potassium and vitamin b, with 25 grams of carbs.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 21, 2012 -> 09:11 PM)
Oh for the love of god, Reddy...enough of the preaching.

You f***ers go run full court with kids 10-15 years younger than you for 150 minutes in 95 degree heat and then tell me what to drink.

It's sodium and potassium and vitamin b, with 25 grams of carbs.

i didn't think gatorade making crappy products was an issue people disagreed with... my bad.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)
i didn't think gatorade making crappy products was an issue people disagreed with... my bad.

It's not about Gatorade. It's about you turning into this hyper-judgmental nazi about everything except Beachbody products.

The product I mentioned is basically a pouch of liquid that provides you with a way to quickly digest potassium, b vitamins, sodium, and carbs; all of which are good if you are planning on running around for 2-3 hours in the 100 degree heat.

Look, I eat probably just as good or better than 90% of people on earth. My diet consists of 90% vegetables and fruit. With a very small amount of meat, cheese, and nuts thrown in for protein. I eat very little processed foods, save for the meat and cheese which is probably considered "processed."

I usually eat a protein bar or a banana prior to playing basketball, and then I bring along either G2 or coconut water. I sweat a lot. Humans are still not particularly efficient in that they shed water and salt when expend energy and release heat/cool down. These are valuable commodities when you're exercising and out of the sun. I am sure I could find more optimal solutions if I wanted to spend more time or money, but honestly, I don't think drinking Gatorade one morning a week is going to kill me. It certainly helps replenish nutrients and salt more quickly than water.

Now I know you didn't need an explanation of my diet, but you seem to be lecturing all of us on the quality of said diets, so I thought maybe it would be helpful for your further lectures.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 12:16 PM)
It's not about Gatorade. It's about you turning into this hyper-judgmental nazi about everything except Beachbody products.

The product I mentioned is basically a pouch of liquid that provides you with a way to quickly digest potassium, b vitamins, sodium, and carbs; all of which are good if you are planning on running around for 2-3 hours in the 100 degree heat.

Look, I eat probably just as good or better than 90% of people on earth. My diet consists of 90% vegetables and fruit. With a very small amount of meat, cheese, and nuts thrown in for protein. I eat very little processed foods, save for the meat and cheese which is probably considered "processed."

I usually eat a protein bar or a banana prior to playing basketball, and then I bring along either G2 or coconut water. I sweat a lot. Humans are still not particularly efficient in that they shed water and salt when expend energy and release heat/cool down. These are valuable commodities when you're exercising and out of the sun. I am sure I could find more optimal solutions if I wanted to spend more time or money, but honestly, I don't think drinking Gatorade one morning a week is going to kill me. It certainly helps replenish nutrients and salt more quickly than water.

Now I know you didn't need an explanation of my diet, but you seem to be lecturing all of us on the quality of said diets, so I thought maybe it would be helpful for your further lectures.

sigh. there are plenty of awesome products out there that don't come from beachbody. i use and eat plenty of them.

i never once commented on your diet or your choices. when did i say that drinking a gatorade would kill you? given your description of the product, you're right - it does seem like it would be beneficial for you in those circumstances, and that's all i was asking. good lord.

sorry if i've come across as hyper judgmental lately, i'll try and ease off. obviously i'm a fan of beachbody products (because they work - i'm not some mindless zombie slave that latches on to fads). but more than that, i'm excited about all the potential in eating well. doing so is still a relatively new thing for me and I'm developing a passion for it. I thought YH and my conversation was plenty civil but I guess you didn't? I'm pretty sure I conceded to a lot of his points.

but whatevs. you'll think what you think and i'll think what i think. there are worse causes to champion than eating healthy and getting in shape.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 01:53 PM)
sigh. there are plenty of awesome products out there that don't come from beachbody. i use and eat plenty of them.

i never once commented on your diet or your choices. when did i say that drinking a gatorade would kill you? given your description of the product, you're right - it does seem like it would be beneficial for you in those circumstances, and that's all i was asking. good lord.

sorry if i've come across as hyper judgmental lately, i'll try and ease off. obviously i'm a fan of beachbody products (because they work - i'm not some mindless zombie slave that latches on to fads). but more than that, i'm excited about all the potential in eating well. doing so is still a relatively new thing for me and I'm developing a passion for it. I thought YH and my conversation was plenty civil but I guess you didn't? I'm pretty sure I conceded to a lot of his points.

but whatevs. you'll think what you think and i'll think what i think. there are worse causes to champion than eating healthy and getting in shape.

Do you notice that the main point of my original post was about the difference in my stamina between playing basketball when I am in the middle of my P90X routines versus not? The Prime thing was just a sidenote, to which you snarkily replied "isn't it just all sugar?"

What else am I to take from that? Just comes off as really patronizing, IMO.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 03:12 PM)
LOL since when is Gatorade bad for you to replenish fluids during some sort of workout or activity?

People who are very serious about fitness will argue that it contains a lot of sugar and sodium.

Part of the issue is that it has become sort of an all-purpose beverage or something used for general hydration instead of water.

It is not a good replacement for water.

But if you are actually exercising, it does replenish and hydrate you better than water. The sodium content has a purpose...especially if you are in a warm climate, because you lose A LOT of salt.

Carbohydrates undoubtedly improve workouts.

Electrolytes are excellent and while you may not always need them, there's really no such thing as too much.

B vitamins have very poor oral bioavailability (ever heard of B12 injections?) but almost nobody that eats meat has a deficiency.

I don't know that folks should be drinking Gatorade just casually throughout the day and simple sugars aren't necessarily the best choice in the pre/intra workout application...but they taste better and they work. My personal preference is to drink as few calories as possible but slamming a little packet of Gatorade Prime before a long basketball game doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 02:51 PM)

Electrolytes are excellent and while you may not always need them, there's really no such thing as too much.

B vitamins have very poor oral bioavailability (ever heard of B12 injections?) but almost nobody that eats meat has a deficiency.

I don't know that folks should be drinking Gatorade just casually throughout the day and simple sugars aren't necessarily the best choice in the pre/intra workout application...but they taste better and they work. My personal preference is to drink as few calories as possible but slamming a little packet of Gatorade Prime before a long basketball game doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

agree with all of that.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 03:51 PM)

Hey Jake...curious as to what your thoughts may be on Propel Zero?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 22, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
Hey Jake...curious as to what your thoughts may be on Propel Zero?

I think it tastes good :) Doesn't have anything bad for you in it, but I also wouldn't go in expecting any performance benefits. You'll be hydrated a little better but it is not an electrolyte drink -- as a calorie free beverage it should be an excellent way to feel like you're getting something tastier than water without the "guilt" of drinking a sugary beverage. It makes sense as a non-activity compliment to the Gatorade line if one was to live the company's ideal of consuming their products in every applicable setting.

There are small amounts of vitamins, but the forms of those are not stated and the amounts aren't particularly high anyways. Basically, if this drink is making or breaking your daily vitamin intake there is a problem ;) This is akin to drinking a diet, non-caffeinated soda without the carbonation that can turn some people off.

So? Drink as your heart desires and enjoy the yumminess.