Pre-Internet Habits

Steve9347

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 04:57 PM)
This was the biggest one for me. Not just to get my PhD but also to get journal articles fro my own research. I spent countless nights and weekends in libraries finding archived articles for my research. Now you can search and save it yourself in a few hours.

Think of all the hours wasted with research when I could have been drinking and getting wasted.

The number of citations you need just expands to fill the time. I just spent the last hour adding 5 citations to a paper with, god, i dunno, 75 already in it, to appease a reviewer.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 06:22 PM)
If you really want to do a tough topic, how about what you did before ESPN? Getting sports information before ESPN was next to impossible before the next morning in the paper.

I was 10 years old when we first got cable and ESPN in 1983.

I liked baseball, but chose Nickleodeon, WFLD and WGN over it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 06:31 PM)
The number of citations you need just expands to fill the time. I just spent the last hour adding 5 citations to a paper with, god, i dunno, 75 already in it, to appease a reviewer.

You gotta love those idiots!!! :lolhitting

I say that from experience as I am a reviewer for 4 peer reviewed journals.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 06:53 PM)
You gotta love those idiots!!! :lolhitting

I say that from experience as I am a reviewer for 4 peer reviewed journals.

I am only a student, but the reviewing process seems so subjective and sometimes biased

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 07:07 PM)
I am only a student, but the reviewing process seems so subjective and sometimes biased

It can be to a certain extent. Some of us look more for reliability vs validity, or internal vs external validity. When you're dealing with human subjects no study is perfect so you have to pick what you think is the most important. Personally I think it's reliability so you can say "this will help someone or it won't."

* Fantasy football pre-internet was an entirely different animal. My league used to have both opponents use a newspaper to total up the score of the game and compare with each other, then call the total into the commish.

* The library thing is huge. I made the trek to the library once or twice a week in grade school and high school, and there were semesters in college that I might as well have lived there. Sometimes it was just a quiet place to get work done.

* Downloading music. In the mid-80s I used to hold my "boombox" up to the tv and record music off the video channel. I didn't have cable (wasn't in our area yet), so I think it was channel 60 or 66 that had videos on every day for an hour.

* Maybe one of the older guys can tell us how Sox games were back in the pre-internet days. That would probably be well received.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 01:10 AM)
* Downloading music. In the mid-80s I used to hold my "boombox" up to the tv and record music off the video channel. I didn't have cable (wasn't in our area yet), so I think it was channel 60 or 66 that had videos on every day for an hour.

Whenever a good song came on the radio, I would record it on to a cassette tape.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 30, 2011 -> 05:22 PM)
If you really want to do a tough topic, how about what you did before ESPN? Getting sports information before ESPN was next to impossible before the next morning in the paper.

I've read books about this period of time...

I was 2 when ESPN started and by the time I got into pro sports they were well-established.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Mar 31, 2011 -> 11:49 AM)
Tim Lamb

Ha, he was in my class. Almost got into a fight with him once; I was not a big fan.

He once said "Lamby got game today" after making a shot in basketball. I don't know why I remember this.

Edited by Steve9347