GAME THREAD: Orioles @ Sox, 4/29, 7:10pm

In fact, he needs to go to the minors and we should have Teahen at 2nd. I might be ridiculous in this and over the top but in spring I noticed his swing was horrendous and it is only getting work. He has no chance of having any sort of prolonged success with that mechanical bulls*** he calls a swing right now.

He almost looks as bad as Brian Anderson would at the plate.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 01:48 AM)
I really hope I'm overreacting, but he's got no bat speed.

Nope, he doesn't. He's really getting into "bust" territory. At this point, he needs to go down to AAA and prove he still knows how to hit.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 01:47 AM)
And yet he was ripping the ball the first week or so. Which makes you wonder.

He was probably confident coming into the year, but once he had a bad game or two, he mentally lost it.

I blame a combo of Beckham and Walker, but his swing has turned to pure s*** since his first season with the Sox. After that season, his swing got mechanical and than end of last year it looked better and this year, it looks worse than ever before.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 07:45 PM)
Beckham is terrible. Unless he learns a new swing, he'll never amount to anything. His new swing is horrendous. He can't even catch up to a mediocre fastball down the pipe. His swing with that long hitch is breaking ball speed.

So let me get this straight. We cannot fix major league hitters because their mechanics are impossible to change. But young guys, sure we can completely cluster f*** their swing, because what its fun or something. We go from a video pre-draft talking about a bit of a hitch and some bat drag to this erect statue that can't put a bat on the ball. Great job coaches, you have turned his swing into Brian Anderson's. Awesome job.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 05:50 PM)
He was probably confident coming into the year, but once he had a bad game or two, he mentally lost it.

Which makes me feel even worse for the guy. Apparently he worked his ass off all winter and was chomping at the bit to get going this season, super confident. To see that take a hit so quickly in the season is just a huge drag.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 01:51 AM)
So let me get this straight. We cannot fix major league hitters because their mechanics are impossible to change. But young guys, sure we can completely cluster f*** their swing, because what its fun or something. We go from a video pre-draft talking about a bit of a hitch and some bat drag to this erect statue that can't put a bat on the ball. Great job coaches, you have turned his swing into Brian Anderson's. Awesome job.

Well said..our hitting coach has not "fixed" anyone in a very long time. I still say he did a terrible job with Josh Fields.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 07:53 PM)
Well said..our hitting coach has not "fixed" anyone in a very long time. I still say he did a terrible job with Josh Fields.

Well he seems to be a fan of the robotic lower half. Remember Uribe was working with Walt on a timing mechanism in the 2nd half of 05. Seemed to work a bit. The following spring training they decide to change his lower half to a spread stance. Lilibridge looks very robotic in the lower half as well.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 05:51 PM)

I can't figure out what has happened with Beckham. He used to have a hitch but in general his bat speed made up for it and he was able to hit to all fields with authority. Now his swing is so mechanical and his posture is just awful that he has absolutely zero bat speed.

I don't know who decided to make the changes but imo, they were awful changes and I don't know how he can repair things on the fly. He needs some serious work. Maybe he can quickly reteach his muscle memory with his original swing but the hell if I know. I'm not involved in the discussions that led to these drastic changes to his swing.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 29, 2011 -> 06:53 PM)

So basically Walker's existence is/was connected to Konerko coming back....and Dunn came here because of Konerko?

Two runs that should have been prevented.

God, this season sucks!

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 30, 2011 -> 01:03 AM)
So basically Walker's existence is/was connected to Konerko coming back....and Dunn came here because of Konerko?

Konerko came back cause we offered him the money he was looking for. Him saying it was partly due to Walker is just him looking out for his buddy. As for Dunn coming here, it had little to do with Konerko.