2011 Pre-Draft thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 04:38 PM)
Rendon is looking for $13 million? WTF am I missing?

If you think that's bad, Dylan Bundy's supposedly asking 6 years $30m, and Archie Bradley 5 years $20m. Neither will get close to that much.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
Please don't let the Royals get Hultzen or Bauer.

The general consensus is they want and will likely receive Bauer. The long toss issue was way overblown. Quite a few people also believe he is the best pitcher in this class. I like him second to only Cole. The Royals really need some fast moving starting pitching. Duffy has made the leap, but Montgomery is struggling, Lamb is having TJ surgery, and Odorizzi while performing well, is still far away. I'm still surprised that Dayton has missed the boat on trading Soria before this year's meltdown. He could have brought back some fine young arms to bolster the system.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 01:20 AM)
How can this happen?? Is this deal like "If you haven't been picked in the first 10, then we are drafting you #11" type thing? Because that's dangerous for them if something like a Chris Sale type thing happens where a top 3-4 pick drops a bunch of spots, and they can't draft him because they already agreed on someone else. I guess the advantage is to try and get Chris Reed to sign for less, and get him in to the system immediately?

That's the exact point.

With the talent available in this year's draft class combined with the deplorable state of the farm system, would anyone be surprised if the system's top prospect is whoever is drafted at 47? Remember, Dayan no longer has rookie eligibility and isn't considered a "prospect" in most cases. Pondering a White Sox top prospect list right now is rather depressing.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 02:01 PM)
With the talent available in this year's draft class combined with the deplorable state of the farm system, would anyone be surprised if the system's top prospect is whoever is drafted at 47? Remember, Dayan no longer has rookie eligibility and isn't considered a "prospect" in most cases. Pondering a White Sox top prospect list right now is rather depressing.

This has been pretty much the case for 5-6 years, no? Whoever we draft first instantly becomes the organization's top prospect.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 5, 2011 -> 02:04 PM)
This has been pretty much the case for 5-6 years, no? Whoever we draft first instantly becomes the organization's top prospect.

Right, but there is larger disparity in talent when selecting in the 1st round versus the supplemental round. If Sale was still in the minors, or Dayan was still prospect eligible I don't think it would be a possibility.

I was more so confounded about who the Sox top prospect is right now. No one apparent player has cemented themself in that regard. You have a whole bunch of kinda intriguing prospects and a whole bunch of fringe.

Edited by DirtySox