Wow, Humber. You fo' realz?

Steve9347

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:14 PM)
I don't really see why he can't be a permanent part of this rotation for years. In Coop I trust.

This has been another awesome performance.

For years? No. I can't see that. He's basically on what Loaiza/Contreras were on. I don't think Humber is a guy that can do this for the next 5 years. But ride his ass as long as he's hot.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:29 PM)
For years? No. I can't see that. He's basically on what Loaiza/Contreras were on. I don't think Humber is a guy that can do this for the next 5 years. But ride his ass as long as he's hot.

Why not? He's got pretty solid stuff and good command.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:29 PM)

He looks like a one year wonder to me too and I was actually semi-optimistic about him going into the season.

Edited by chw42

haha Contreras?

You mean had the Sox gotten Contreras when he was 27, but when Contreras was 27 he was a monster.

Even Loaiza is a pretty bad comparison, because Humber was quite the spect out of college.

The better comparison are guys like Gavin Floyd, who had stuff but just couldnt put it together. Humber has talent, and its nice to see him putting it together.

I think he's under team control, is he not? He only has 1 year of service time, believe it or not. Now this is where things get a little cloudy for me...but is he still required to serve out his time under the service time rules, or does that get thrown out the window if you get released 3473593754 times? I would think he is our property for several more years now as long as we want him...

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:31 PM)
haha Contreras?

You mean had the Sox gotten Contreras when he was 27, but when Contreras was 27 he was a monster.

Even Loaiza is a pretty bad comparison, because Humber was quite the spect out of college.

The better comparison are guys like Gavin Floyd, who had stuff but just couldnt put it together. Humber has talent, and its nice to see him putting it together.

Look, Humber is not a sub 3.00 ERA pitcher. The comparisons I made were simply based on the Sox taking a project and getting a good year out of them. Humber is almost 29. I'm not buying that he's cured. Or that we should lock him up after two good months. lol. GMAB.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:34 PM)
Look, Humber is not a sub 3.00 ERA pitcher. The comparisons I made were simply based on the Sox taking a project and getting a good year out of them. Humber is almost 29. I'm not buying that he's cured. Or that we should lock him up after two good months. lol. GMAB.

No, but you're singing Matt Joyce's praises as an MVP candidate after 2 months...

Where did anyone say he was a sub 3 era pitcher?

You made comparisons to players that failed, when you can just as easily point out guys who have gotten it before the turn 30.

No reason to always look at the negative side, so I presented the positive side.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:30 PM)
Why not? He's got pretty solid stuff and good command.

He's got a good curve. But his stuff is hardly plus at this point. He's on a hot streak. That's how I see it. I'm not looking at him as a future staple because he's pitched well for a couple months.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:36 PM)
He's got a good curve. But his stuff is hardly plus at this point. He's on a hot streak. That's how I see it. I'm not looking at him as a future staple because he's pitched well for a couple months.

You're so full of bologna...dude was a 1st round draft pick. Stuff has never been the issue with him.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:31 PM)
haha Contreras?

I don't think you can really even compare it to Floyd, although that is probably the closest. Floyd was a failed prospect with a ton of talent and a confidence/mental problem. He put it together when he was 25. Humber was a failure at everything and didn't put it together until 28. That's pretty late.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:36 PM)
Where did anyone say he was a sub 3 era pitcher?

You made comparisons to players that failed, when you can just as easily point out guys who have gotten it before the turn 30.

No reason to always look at the negative side, so I presented the positive side.

Jose Contreras was pretty successful here in Chicago if you ask me. Loaiza too.

But its not unprecedented, Humber also has had significantly less opportunity.

Hes only pitched 111 innings, and 60 of those are this year. Quite possibly he could have done well had he been given the chance.

Its not like we are talking hundreds of innings of bad results, hed only had 2 starts before this year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:39 PM)
Jose Contreras was pretty successful here in Chicago if you ask me. Loaiza too.

Jose was good for a year and a half. Loaiza for one. Remember how giddy everybody was after we locked Contreras up after '05? Then by '07 everybody wanted him traded for a Miller Lite.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 31, 2011 -> 07:40 PM)
So was Luke Hochaver or however you spell it. And his stuff is definitely not plus.

Well here is the comment after he was drafted third overall in 2004 by the Mets:

3 PHILIP HUMBER RICE U RHP R/R 6'4" 220 1982-12-21 4YR 56K | 350K

COMMENT: LARGE FRAME. BROAD, SLOPED SHOULDERS. STRONG, DURABLE, OVERALL BUILD. MORE DEVELOPED LOWER HALF. BODY TYPE SIMILAR TO KEVIN MILLWOOD. NO WINDUP, HIGH 3/4 DELIVERY. PLUS ARM STRENGTH. COMFORT ZONE 91-93 W/ RUN & SINK WHEN DOWN. CB, ML OUT PITCH W/ BIG, TIGHT, SHARP 11-5 BITE. CHANGEUP W/ SINK & DECEPTION. OTHER PITCH, SPLIT, W/ SHORT DOWN BREAK. BIG, STRONG, DURABLE WORKHORSE W/ PITCHABILITY & MOUND PRESENCE. STUFF FOR QUALITY RHS AT ML LEVEL.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 31, 2011 -> 08:40 PM)
But its not unprecedented, Humber also has had significantly less opportunity.

Hes only pitched 111 innings, and 60 of those are this year. Quite possibly he could have done well had he been given the chance.

Its not like we are talking hundreds of innings of bad results, hed only had 2 starts before this year.

He was given the chance pitching against worse talent and he was pretty bad. I don't think it's a smart idea for this organization to put any good amount of confidence in Humber beyond this season.