What's the best way to take care of...

Heads22

Guest hotsoxchick1
an ingrown toenail? I've got one on my right foot, second toe, on the right side. It's had some pus and it hurts to walk for long periods of time.

soak it in epsomes (sp?) salts and hot water... if that doesnt clear it up youll have to have it taken care of in the docs office... they cut it out.......i had one once.. thats what i had to do is get it cut out ........

soak it in epsomes (sp?) salts and hot water... if that doesnt clear it up youll have to have it taken care of in the docs office... they cut it out.......i had one once.. thats what i had to do is get it cut out ........

I've been using hot soapy water. It takes care of the pain, but for most of the day (work, band stuff) I have to wear shoes and it doesn't help. I can't be in the deli at the gas station without shoes.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I've been using hot soapy water. It takes care of the pain, but for most of the day (work, band stuff) I have to wear shoes and it doesn't help. I can't be in the deli at the gas station without shoes.

well try that epsoms salt stuff its wonderful.... takes out the pain.......and infection too..........use hot water though.........as for the shoe thing i cant help ya out there i had to suffer through the day too.. soon as i hit the car though the shoes came off...........and stayed off........good luck either way......but dont let it go on too long ... if its not gettin better in a couple of days go see the doc........

well try that epsoms salt stuff its wonderful.... takes out the pain.......and infection too..........use hot water though.........as for the shoe thing i cant help ya out there i had to suffer through the day too.. soon as i hit the car though the shoes came off...........and stayed off........good luck either way......but dont let it go on too long ... if its not gettin better in a couple of days go see the doc........

We are out of those salts, I think I'll buy some tomorrow at work.

I had it happen once. Mostly cuz someone landed on my foot playing basketball and it started growing in where it broke in the middle. If you are lucky then the podiatrist won't have to remove it cuz toenails take a loooong ass time to regrow.

Oh and be glad it's not your big toe too.

Getting it cut out isn't bad. Kind of like going to the dentist, actually. The doctor will usually inject some novocaine into your toe, then cut the nail.

Speaking of novocaine, i can't feel the whole left side of my mouth right now....cavity filled at the dentist just today

I'm trying to avoid that....

All right, dude, I don't know how you think toenails behave, but they just don't stop ingrowing. You can get it done now or put it off, but eventually, you're going to need to have it removed. May as well get it out now before it infects something or some s***...

I've had ingrown toenails removed 4 times now (Each big toe has been ingrown twice), and it's really not that bad. After a week, when things start to heal up, it's all worth it.

All right, dude, I don't know how you think toenails behave, but they just don't stop ingrowing.  You can get it done now or put it off, but eventually, you're going to need to have it removed.  May as well get it out now before it infects something or some s***...

I've had ingrown toenails removed 4 times now (Each big toe has been ingrown twice), and it's really not that bad.  After a week, when things start to heal up, it's all worth it.

He's right. It doesn't go away. I was thinking the same way as you Heads until my toe got worse. I had an infection and it f***ed up the other side of my big toe. I went into the pediotrist and he cut both the left and right side of my toenail. It's really not that bad. I had to limp around for a few days, but it's all up after that. My toenail is still growing back and I had this done Feb. 18 (my mom wrote it down on her calendar, she writes everything on it), so it takes a while. I've been pain free once my toe began healing from the surgery, and I had this pain in my toe for a couple months before I got it cut. It's the only way to go. Don't put it off, it won't get better.

Speaking of novocaine, i can't feel the whole left side of my mouth right now....cavity filled at the dentist just today

That happened to me two weeks ago.

As soon as the dentist was done, the nurse, who by the way was definately doable, handed me a cup of water. When I drank the water it streamed out of the right side of my mouth because I couldn't feel that it was still open. The nurse chuckled, but I am sure she sees that a lot with patients.

Preventative practices are always handy in times like this. Regularily clipping them right after taking a shower will lead to the prevention of ingrown toenails. Following this simple rule has allowed me to live my over 21 1/2 years without getting one.

Preventative practices are always handy in times like this.  Regularily clipping them right after taking a shower will lead to the prevention of ingrown toenails.  Following this simple rule has allowed me to live my over 21 1/2 years without getting one.

does it help not to clip your toenails in arches? I heard that, so I usually clip them very straight...am I doing this for no reason?

Guest hotsoxchick1
does it help not to clip your toenails in arches?  I heard that, so I usually clip them very straight...am I doing this for no reason?

no your not doing it for no reason.. not only will it help prevent the ingrone thingy it will also help prevent other nail fungus...........your doing good...

That happened to me two weeks ago.

As soon as the dentist was done, the nurse, who by the way was definately doable, handed me a cup of water.  When I drank the water it streamed out of the right side of my mouth because I couldn't feel that it was still open.  The nurse chuckled, but I am sure she sees that a lot with patients.

Very ingenius way of covering up the fact that you were drooling over the "doable" nurse. :headbang

You have two options:

1. Spend the money, get it cut out by a Podiatrist

2. Do it yourself! Basically get a very sharp ex-acto knife and cut away.

While you laugh at option 2 if you let this go many more days, at some point you will actually consider it. The pain gets to be very nasty.