Guillen/KW at least "PR spinning" they want Buehrle back nex

caulfield12

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 08:32 PM)
Is this serious?

Yes, if the Red Sox or Yankees want a guy, why wouldn't they sign him for many more years than the White Sox. It's all paper money to those teams.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)
Yes, if the Red Sox or Yankees want a guy, why wouldn't they sign him for many more years than the White Sox. It's all paper money to those teams.

The player would also have to want to play there. I don't see MB having any desire to do that.

Because they got burned by Contreras, Burnett (to a lesser extent), Igawa, Irabu, Pavano, etc.

Unless it's truly an elite pitcher like a Sabathia, Cashman has learned slowly, over time, to be much more careful with long-term pitching contracts. They can also look at their rival and see the issues with the likes of Dice-K and Lackey.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 02:49 PM)

1. They aren't gonna want Buehrle for 6/7 years.

2. Buehrle is not gonna sign a contract that long, he has whispered about retiring now or in the next year or two.

3. Buehrle seems to only want to play for the Sox or STL

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 19, 2011 -> 02:57 PM)
The player would also have to want to play there. I don't see MB having any desire to do that.

Agreed. While I don't know the man personally, he doesn't seem to be the type that would want to be in Boston or NYC. I don't know if anyone saw that episode of Dogs 101 on Animal Planet a while back but he looked truly happy out on his expanse of quiet property.