Big Ten Tourney

Jershon Cobb is the biggest what if of the season for me. If Cobb was healthy for the heart of Big Ten season I'm fairly sure he puts Northwestern over the edge in at least one or two close losses to give them a good enough resume.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual, NU can't create any shots down the stretch and give up too many boards/easy buckets. No margin for error whatsoever. You'd think that NU would be able to luck into something resembling a post player once a decade to help mitigate that.

Oh well, since they're the basketball version of the Cubs, wait 'til next year.

PG- Sobolewski, could be good if he learns how to create his own shot more efficiently

SG- Cobb, hoping that he can break out with a healthy off-season

SF- Hearn, not great but a decent glue guy

PF- Crawford, hate the lack of size, but they have too many options on the perimeter

C- Cerina? Probably going to see a lot less of the young guys than I'd like

As usual, keep getting deeper and more talented but lose their best player and still have no proven bigs. They'll have a ton of underclassmen that would have probably started 5 years ago, hopefully that'll be a good sign for the future.

I think next year is a step back, but if Cobb develops into the player I think he can be and the incoming freshmen class produces at least a couple solid players they should be in position in two years. A lot of ifs, but that's how it goes.

Looking at the future roster reminds me...weren't Tre Demps and Mike Turner supposed to be respectable recruits? How come they never saw the floor?

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 8, 2012 -> 07:31 PM)
I think next year is a step back, but if Cobb develops into the player I think he can be and the incoming freshmen class produces at least a couple solid players they should be in position in two years. A lot of ifs, but that's how it goes.

Looking at the future roster reminds me...weren't Tre Demps and Mike Turner supposed to be respectable recruits? How come they never saw the floor?

I'm expecting 6-ish Big Ten wins, I don't trust Drew to dominate consistently and Sobo/Cobb have to get a lot better if they're going to be the #2 scorer. The next two years could be interesting though, NU will have at least 5 freshmen and Sobolewski as a sophomore next year.

Demps injured his shoulder before the season, tried playing hurt for a while, then ended up having surgery and getting a medical redshirt. Turner redshirted too, not as sure about that one. The general consensus coming out was that he needed a year to bulk up and develop, though NU definitely could have used an athletic 6'8" guy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)
Torn ACL for Verdell Jones III

That sucks for him. Didn't see the game when he was in HS but played a huge playoff game vs Lewis Jackson and Decatur Eisenhowser that was pretty big.

Really happy for Rob Wilson. Guy has had some injury problems, short leash with Ryan etc, but from all accounts hes a great person (works with at risk youth and will be the first member of his family to graduate college.)

As for the game, I think the better team won. Gotta question Crean going to the zone right away. As I was watching the game I immediately mentioned to my dad that it was a really risky plan because if Wisconsin started shooting well from the start it was likely to carry over the entire game. That generally the better plan against Wisconsin is to start man, and then when they are cold go to zone because they are hesitant to shoot.

Next up MSU, hopefully this is Wisconsin's chance to ruin their year. To many times MSU has ruined Wisconsin's.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 9, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
Next up MSU, hopefully this is Wisconsin's chance to ruin their year. To many times MSU has ruined Wisconsin's.

It's not possible to ruin Michigan State's year in the Big Ten Tournament. That's not how that program is built.

There's a big difference between 'cares about winning it' and 'season is ruined if they lose it.' Everyone 'cares' about winning their conference tournament. MSU has the luxury of a history of an absurdly consistent level of success in the NCAA tourney to erase any upset fans/players/coaches over a loss in the conference tourney.

MSU's seasons aren't judged on the Big Ten Tournament, therefore it's impossible to ruin their season in it.

lol

MSU is the first to brag when they win the tournament and if they lose in the NCAA theyll be the first to point out they won the Big 10.

They just say whatever they did is the "most important" that year. Not to mention your taking the comment pretty literally. MSU "ruined" Wisconsins year, but Wisconsin still was Big 10 Champ, won the Big 10 CCG and went to the Rose Bowl.

Basically I meant "ruined" as, take something away that MSU believed they could get.

lol Painter is going to get thrown out.

He keeps yelling at the refs: "You cant protect him every game" in reference to Sullinger.

(edit)

I originally thought Sullinger but Gus Johnson said Craft, Im starting to think it was Sullinger so Im changing my post.

Edited by Soxbadger